Topic: Indie Horror Films

This is not a thread geared to one idea alone. Actually I think it can be a mix of different ideas,

the general idea though is we all love indie films, some not so much. But what do you consider some of the best? < is one of many ideas and questions you can ask in this thread. I have a special place in my heart for Gun Town, Pontypool, Grace and so many other independant gems.

That's not all though, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where you can ask questions, talk everything that is indie, get answers to any queries you might have, talk of some of your favourites. Say what sort of indie horror film you'd love to happen next etc...

Also it can be a thread where up and coming indie directors looking to get answers in regards to how they can get into the business etc.. anything that deals with the more independant of movies.

It's everything to do with this particular style.

I love Indies because imo, they are all about the passion for the genre. Because money is not the discerning factor, it's the heart of the production that makes it stand out and it does contain some fantastic actors who deserve a break.

Not plugging anything here but I think due mention as to go to Acey's Gun Town which was a fun little movie. Yes it might have had some little flaws but for all those it is by and far a lot better than many movies out there and deserves a bigger audience to get noticed.

In the end I think Indie movies are vastly underrated and not given near enough time to rear its head. So I thought a general thread to talk, speak and show your love for the variety of indie horrors might be a welcome pace. Hope you enjoy speaking on a subject we are all passionate on. Mwah!

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2010-03-03 08:13:19)

Re: Indie Horror Films

I've been confused by the term 'Indie films'. I'm guessing it means low-budget, but it had be confused for the longest time because I thought they were films coming out of India or something. LOL.

Nice thread BTK.:)  I'll contribute to it more when I think of some titles that I really like.

The Creature wrote:

I've been confused by the term 'Indie films'. I'm guessing it means low-budget, but it had be confused for the longest time because I thought they were films coming out of India or something. LOL.

Too cute! And thanks hun wink

And yes it means low budget, sometimes barely a budget at all. I also found this too which sheds some light as well:

~~ The term indie is short for "independent" and refers to artistic creations outside the commercial mainstream, without the support of a major record label, major movie studio, or other source of a large budget.~~

indie = independent
This helps! Thanks BTK! smile

You're welcome. big_smile

Thanks BTK for the mention. I know GT has been run into the ground here, but it really developed me as a filmmaker. I know exactly where the flaws are, and if I could go back, I'd do it all over again, but much better.

That's ok though. Whatever the next one is...

Like I said no film is without flaws, always something that doesn't quite work, but comparable to all the Hollywood junk, you are No.3 in my top favourite films. It's the passion that steered the movie right and I loved the actors, I especially liked Blondie (keep forgetting her name) but she really surprised me in the movie. smile

I got my copy of Gun town but haven’t watched yet I don’t get to watch grown up stuff until my 2 year old goes to bed and hadn’t had it in me to stay up lately. Do have it in mind to watch this weekend so you will see my thoughts next week on it.
I have had a nightly viewing of The Nightmare before Christmas for the last two weeks. All can say is thank god he’s not a Barmy fan and if at two his favorite movie is NBC than I think it’s safe to say I have a future forum member on my hands.
I got a little off topic if you lump foreign with indi my favorite of recent years was “Let the right one in"

Last edited by swollenguy (2010-03-03 13:20:02)

Oh yep foreign,  etc is allowed as long as it's indie that what matters and great choice! I love LTROI, such a beautiful vampire story and been a long time of waiting but certainly one of the best in recent years smile and no problem going off topic, hope you do get to watch it eventually Swollen, will love to hear your thoughts on it big_smile

I love me some Indies.
I am more apt to give the indepent film maker the benefit of the doubt knowing that they put their blood, sweat and tears into the making of their films, and that it is a labor of love for them having to use their ceativity and ingenuity to work within their means to make the film they want to make.  Plus they are willing to take chances and try something different.

^^ Ditto! Hollywood, the bigger chains of movies if there movie is bad I cannot be kind, they have the money and resources so the excuses don't fly but an independant film it is about the toil, passion, labour and love for the movie.

No matter what I respect indies for being different and not always trying to tread same water, excellent reasons alien and thanks for your input! big_smile

I Sell The Dead !  a great indie film

also Underbelly and The Open Door

Argh I am so behind! lol

I Sell the Dead as been on my wish list for ages, still plan to get it eventually. Knowing you love it Mistress means I really need to check it out and the other two as well, thank you smile

Home Sick is my favorite indie film. My least favorite is probably The Murder Game.

I've been looking for Home Sick for a while, just checked on amazon again and WOO! But is it worth £10 thereabouts, I want it but don't want to overspend whereby possible. And thanks for the input Sus, I'll be sure to avoid Murder Party. big_smile

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

I've been looking for Home Sick for a while, just checked on amazon again and WOO! But is it worth £10 thereabouts, I want it but don't want to overspend whereby possible. And thanks for the input Sus, I'll be sure to avoid Murder Party. big_smile

LOL, Murder Party is actually good. You should avoid The Murder Game. lol

lol Can somebody slap me? lol

I'm so off my game today, hopefully I'll be back to normal by tomorrow. smile

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2010-03-03 15:54:07)

*Slap* big_smile
Don't avoid Murder Party BTK, it is and indie that I would highly recomend.

lol thanks! tongue

And I won't avoid Murder Party, just the mind gone to rot today lol, but will definitely remember this title now. Too embarrassed to forget. lol

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

lol Can somebody slap me? lol

I'm so off my game today, hopefully I'll be back to normal by tomorrow. smile

LOL, we all have off days. At least you brought up another good indie film to watch.