Topic: Watchmen The Ultimate Cut: The Complete Story (DVD & Bluray)

Didnt realize this was coming out so soon.  I know the DVD/Blu-ray that came out recently was the "directors cut" but this is the Ultimate cut.  So what is so different?  It is a 5 DVD (or 4 Blu-ray disc) collection.  The movie itself is the directors cut along with the Tales of the Black Freighter and Under the Hood (the hollis mason bio) intertwined in the story, just like in the graphic novel.  Here is how the discs break down (for the blu ray edition at least)

Disc 1:
* Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut Film (rated R), weaving together the "Tales of the Black Freighter" & "Under the Hood" with the "Watchmen: Director's Cut". Run-time:  215 minutes
* Audio Commentary with Zack Snyder and Dave Gibbons

Disc 2:
* The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics
* Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes
* Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World
* Watchmen: Video Journals
* My Chemical Romance Desolation Row
* Under the Hood (rated PG)
* Story Within a Story: The Books of Watchmen

Disc 3:
* Digital Copy of the Theatrical Version.

Disc 4:
* Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comics (this is split across two discs on the non-Blu-ray edition) 325 minutes

So it comes with a LOT of stuff.  I havent bought Watchmen yet but I may rent this first just to see how the movie comes off with the Black Freighter and Under the Hood stuff woven in.   Only thing that sucks is this is the only way you can watch the film as it doesnt come with a standard directors cut without the animated stuff woven in.   Oh well. 

This comes out November 3rd so we shall see how it turns out.  Cover art below:

http://i36.tinypic.com/33m30n8.jpg

Re: Watchmen The Ultimate Cut: The Complete Story (DVD & Bluray)

i'd like to check this out.. since to me the movie was just .. real close to being good... but never quite made it .

I have a 10 dollar off coupon for this one so I think I'm going to pick it up

I cannot wait for this.  I'm a long time fan of the comic and loved the movie and the director's cut.  I held off buying the release of the Tales of the Black Freighter because I knew I'd want this version of the film.  Probably one of the rare times that I'm looking forward to double dipping on a DVD.

I saw this twice in the theater, several times on bootleg (hee hee) and picked up the director's cut and have watched it something like five or six times.  So I guess you could say I thought the movie was a fantastic adaptation. 

If this super-duper set is released on DVD (don't have Blu Ray yet) I'll be picking it up.

while it sounds like a good deal i think i'll stick with thedirector's cut version that i have

LoudLon wrote:

I saw this twice in the theater, several times on bootleg (hee hee) and picked up the director's cut and have watched it something like five or six times.  So I guess you could say I thought the movie was a fantastic adaptation. 

If this super-duper set is released on DVD (don't have Blu Ray yet) I'll be picking it up.

It's also getting a DVD release.  I'm snagging a copy too.

I'm gonna get the DVD too. I love this film it blew my mind XD

I'm about to go see if I can find me a copy of this bad motherfucker. cool

If this is out now, I'm grabbing a Blu Ray copy.

^ It came out on Tuesday.  I'm gonna get a copy off the internet, it was a bit expensive at the store, I can find it for about $15 cheaper on the net.

I thought it came out Tuesday.  We didn't get it in at work and they said it was pushed back to the 10th.  It's like 50 for the Blu Ray, so...ouch.

I found a copy at best buy here but it was $40 and that's for the one that isn't a blue-ray.  I've seen it on the net for about $23 so I'm trying to save some money.  They have the bluray on Amazon for $30.

edit: but it does say it isn't supposed to be released until Tuesday.  I guess they put it out a week early here.  Fuck, now I regret not buying it. lol

Last edited by mdc666 (2009-11-06 22:58:41)

Best Buy price matches, so I'll just bring load up the amazon page and get it there for that price!

The best buy by me doesn't price match amazon or else I'd save so much money.  Best Buy sometimes does early releases.  They had Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead on blu ray a month before anywhere else did

I loved Watchmen. One of my favorite superhero film now. I especially love the opening credits with Bob Dylan's "The Times Are A'Changin". One of my favorite songs.