Topic: Freaked (1993)

I stumbled across this dvd in my meanderings today, has anyone seen it? It looked way too good to pass up, but I have never heard of it. "One of the best unnown movies ever made"
Alex winter of Bill and Ted's excellent adventure stars as Ricky Coogin, an arrogant former child star who becomes the celebrity spokesman for toxic fertilizer Zygrot-24. But when Ricky is taken prisoner by demented sideshow impresario (Randy Quaid) he is transformed into a hideous mutant freak to join the likes of the beareded lady (Mr. T), Sockhead (Bobcat Goldthwait), a human worm, a giant nose and ther fearless leader the Dog Boy ( Keanu Reeves) Can a hack actor turned genetic nightmare now survive an evil conspiracy of corporate sleazebags, desperate milkmen, rastafarian eyeballs, canned cheese and Brooke shields?

Re: Freaked (1993)

i love it. its funny as s#$T

Sorry, this seems to have never come up on my radar.  But it seems I should get around to seeing it.  Thanks for the heads up!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JfxCGAKhgQ[/youtube]

you're only coming around to this now, 'shallrule??  wow.
Freaked is stupidly great LOL

so much crazy stuff going on in that flick!  Dammit, now I'll be rooting through my old cable dubs to find it and revisit - it's been forever.

Hmm, maybe I did see it.

I realize I'm coming into this thread very late, but it's so cool to see FREAKED getting some love.  It's one of my all-time favorite comedies!

Did you guys know that Alex Winter is remaking THE GATE?

^^ Is it the one being renamed, The Hole?                                                                                                                                                             Been many a moon since I watched Freak. Mr.T as a bearded lady in the film was just too weird/funny.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-03-06 19:46:17)

I understand THE HOLE has similarities, but is not a remake of THE GATE.

Yep, saw it waaaay back when.  Some nifty make up/costumes by Screaming Mad George (love the Jamaican eyeball creatures) but in regards to the storyline I wish they'd have gone more extreme.  As is, it feels kind of stock.  My two cents.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-03-06 19:42:35)

Haven't seen it but it sounds very interesting.

LoudLon wrote:

Yep, saw it waaaay back when.  Some nifty make up/costumes by Screaming Mad George (love the Jamaican eyeball creatures) but in regards to the storyline I wish they'd have gone more extreme.  As is, it feels kind of stock.  My two cents.

Oh, yeah!  Dude, I had totally forgotten that Screaming Mad George did the effects for FREAKED.  That guy was awesome.  I met him at a convention back in the late 90's, and he was quite a character -- I couldn't understand anything he said, and vice versa, but I still have a framed piece of his artwork that he signed for me, hanging here in my office.

Yeah, I've heard he's well-deserving of that moniker.  I've always seen him up on the same level as Steve Johnson when it comes to FX design, even though SMG doesn't get the props he deserves (nor does Johnson, for that matter).

Another blast from the past:  yeah, Johnson was great too.  You just don't hear about those guys anymore, sadly -- everything's KNB.

. . . or CGI.

Last edited by J.N. (2011-03-07 07:05:33)