Topic: Tale of Two Sisters Remake

Just what we needed a remake, and it gets better, olsen twins mentioned to boot.

This is one of the Asian films that has been in turnaround for a long time and I knew eventually that it would remade. It had been rumored at one point that the Olsen twins were going to star. Hopefully that doesn't pan out.

Right now Dreamworks is setting up the project with Tom and Charlie Guard at the helm. The new revised Dreamworks tale will center on modern-day teenage sisters Anna and Alex Rydell who return home from a mental hospital only to find their recovery unraveling because of a cruel stepmother, clueless father and a lingering ghost.

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_5984.html

Thoughts?

Re: Tale of Two Sisters Remake

I'm dying to see this remake, A TALE OF TWO SISTERS story was awesome! I loved it more for the story than anything else... good photography, nice script, awful actings getting sometimes hilarious, low money... I blame myself! but I love hollywood remakes... sometimes there are really nice stories out there in the world that needs a big push (like what happened with THE GRUDGE or THE RING), tough some others just helped to go to the roots and find there were better movies in the original case (SHALL WE DANCE?, DARK WATER).

I'm waiting for more details on ATOTS, it has a great story involved to be spoiled and a great mix of horror and drama (like what happened with 6th sense or The Others) that deserves to be spectacular.

This is one remake that should not be made.. This is one of the best movies to come out of Asia.. One of my favorite movies from anywhere.. This remake can only go down.. Plus there is no doubt that it will be changed to fit American audiences dumbing it down for a PG-13 release.. In other words.. Teeny Boppers will love it..

i 100% agree with you!(goon)

this remake should not be made cause this movie is so sick right now and hollywood will surely made it more comprensible.I think its in the same shit than battle royale at the moment!

I have not seen the film, but based on what you and goon are saying I am gonna agree. Goon is our resident asian films expert and sounds like you know your stuff as well.

Nooo, I don't want that remake ! This movie is so well done right now, I don't think it could be better, just different "that's for sure" so then we can't done anything about that ! So for me it's no good

I don't think Hollywood can do this movie justice........ Leave it alone, but it's probably too late

I agree with DemonToSome. Hollywood did a great job with Juon and The Ring but A tale of two sisters would be harder to execute.

I have to disagree.  Hollywood totally fucked up Ju-On and the Ring IMO.  Now the grudge i couldnt stand but the ring was alright considering it was pg-13.  I just felt that Ringu was way better.  I have never seen a tale of two sisters, but from what everyone says I highly doubt a hollywood version will succeed.  Remake tale of two sisters...No.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-08-17 11:34:36)

Well I gotta say I like Gore Verbinski's The Ring alot more than Ringu.. Ringu was an OK film but when they remade it he took all the really weird and goofy stuff out which I thought was a good move. I just liked the whole eerieness about the remake that I felt the original lacked..

I don't think The Ring needed to go much further than a PG-13 rating.. I mean look at the original there was nothing in that to warrant an R rating..

I don't know the hollywood remake will do justice or not. I am not an expert. But the Korean original is a film which makes you think a lot, makes u get involved and try to unravel the misteries while watching. And of course hard to forget for a long time. Hey I am not taking abt Code!

I consider The Ring to be like a murder mystery.  I thought Ringu was a hell of a lot creepier than the remake.  I almost never find remakes better than originals.  Especially with asian horror.

I thought The Ring was good, but The Grudge just made me laugh all the way through it.  I think it depends on the Director, but Asian films seem creepier than our interpretations of them and I'd rather watch the originals.  I haven't seen this movie yet, I can't believe that, but from what everyone says, the remake probably won't do it justice.  I really hope that is a joke about the Olsen twins.

Very well put Tina.  I couldnt agree more.  I liked the Ring remake, I just liked Ringu better.  The eeriness that the original asian's fim's hold suit with me better for some reason.  I dont want to see this one remade.  If the Olsen twins star, I might have to pass.

Tina12312 wrote:

I thought The Ring was good, but The Grudge just made me laugh all the way through it.  I think it depends on the Director, but Asian films seem creepier than our interpretations of them and I'd rather watch the originals.

Funny that you say that because Takashi Shimizu directed his own remake. I think it was the script. It just didn't have that same vibe that the original did. Although I still liked the remake but it was leaps and bounds behind the original.

As for the remake to this film I can tell you right now its gonna be horrible. Unless they get some real talent behind the camera and someone with some experience on the script. They also have to make it as is and let the MPAA dictate the rating. I'm sick of studios picking an audience and than shooting for that niche crowd..

Goon wrote:
Tina12312 wrote:

I thought The Ring was good, but The Grudge just made me laugh all the way through it.  I think it depends on the Director, but Asian films seem creepier than our interpretations of them and I'd rather watch the originals.

Funny that you say that because Takashi Shimizu directed his own remake. I think it was the script. It just didn't have that same vibe that the original did. Although I still liked the remake but it was leaps and bounds behind the original.

As for the remake to this film I can tell you right now its gonna be horrible. Unless they get some real talent behind the camera and someone with some experience on the script. They also have to make it as is and let the MPAA dictate the rating. I'm sick of studios picking an audience and than shooting for that niche crowd..

The difference is the actual "Ju-on" is missing in the hollywood remake. Sarah Michelle Gellar suits better for kicking the ghosts instead of getting scared.
As far as Tale remake is concerned I think the main problem will be the difference in Asian and Western culture regarding concept of ghosts.

On a second thought.. how it would be if they just used the Korean original and just replace the dialogue with english dubbing?

Last edited by ban (2006-09-16 01:48:59)

Olsen twins= pass.

ban wrote:

On a second thought.. how it would be if they just used the Korean original and just replace the dialogue with english dubbing?

Well I don't think it would happen. I'm pretty sure they want to amp up the original and make it more of a PG-13 affair.. But if that wasn't what they were doing I would much rather them dub it than try and replicate that movie again..

Goon wrote:
Tina12312 wrote:

I did not know that Goon.  Maybe it was the script like you said or that and the casting, but I liked Ju-On, while The Grudge just seemed so over-done or something to me.  I haven't seen many Asian films, Ringu, Ju-On, The Eye, Old Boy and Koma, but I like their creepy quality and somehow we just don't translate that well to film.

j-horror/asian horror has atmosphere that hollywood lacks....tale of two sisters creeped me out and the step-mother in the kitchen scene made me jump.......that hardly never happeneds