Re: 'Mini' DVD Competition for Hm.ca!

lol Sorry Lilith tongue x But anything can be used, would definitely love to see what you have in store. Btw I love the avatar! big_smile

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

To everyone who says they cannot use Region 2 dvd's can I say just one lil thing:

Your PC/ Laptop's can play region 2 as well. tongue I hope lol unless your laptop/ PC does not have a CD drive. So you guys can still enter.

Little note of this: a lot of you have stated you don't have region free/ region 2 dvds, if you can within the next few months see if you can rectify that, not trying to annoy you guys LOL but I have something big waiting for someone on HM and I would regions not to mar the experience. Trust me I want you all to be able to have a proactive chance on the boards.

Now back to normal discussion smile

I believe most if not all computers allow you to switch region choices so many times before it no longer allows it.

I think your allowed like 6 switches before it locks it on the last region switched to.
Can anyone confirm this or is it wrong?

^^ Actually I can confirm that Helly, I decided to hunt around for more information and I found this which shed a lot of light esp for me:

Yes! But, you have to change the region, right click on the cd-drive, then go to a menu, and it should say, change region,BUT WARNING, you can only change the region 6 times, after that, you cannot change it again.

Ok: Little note- This contest was suppose to run from one date to a certain final date where I would announce what needed announcing. As it stands I might have to widen the length of time since there has not been much response. I know not everyone has the time/ and some cannot enter but I needer a wider variety to make this fair. So for that reason, the 1st part of this will remain ongoing until more sign on, if any. Thanks everyone!

BTk, i just tried to send you my entry on a pm, but your message box is full! i just wrote it all out on computer and i'm at work! never mind i'll have to do it from home this evening as cannot save it on work computer.

Ack, sorry about that Wolfy hun. All PM's are deleted so there's space now. But sorry for not cleaning it out sooner, you're a darl though for telling me wink and cannot wait to read it big_smile

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

Ack, sorry about that Wolfy hun. All PM's are deleted so there's space now. But sorry for not cleaning it out sooner, you're a darl though for telling me wink and cannot wait to read it big_smile

no worries darling, i saved it by sending it to myself then was going to reply but then realised nothing on it so pressed quote button and then sent it to you. hope it worked! let me know if you don't get it and i'll write it from home tonight. got to go back to work now. xx:)

Sounds neat, BTK.  However, I can't do Region 2.  But would it be OK if I entered just to see how I do?

Of course you can Azay hun wink

All of you guys can take part, even if you can't get R2 part of the fun is just taking a chance. So don't be afraid to guys wink

I am NOT entering at least this phase, since I can't play Region 2 discs.  However, Miss Judge, I would like to know how I did/rank/whatever when this part is done, if you don't mind. smile   Here you go (sorry it went 5 lines over, I really tried)

"Know Thyself"

Bruce knew from an early age that he was different from other kids and his family.  He only liked beef, the rawer the better.  His favorite movies were horror, the gorier the better.  As he got older his temper became shorter, resulting in screaming and sometimes violence.  His dreams were always of dark places with fire.  Bruce knew he shouldn't be like this, and he talked to his parents and saw therapists, and even was put on drugs.  But it kept getting worse.  Finally, suspecting something, when he was 17 he asked his parents "Am I adopted."  His mother burst into tears as his father said, "yes."  "Do you know anything about my birth parents?"  His mom left the room and returned a minute later with a chain with a medallion.  "The local hospital found you with only this, a medallion from St. Gabriel's Cathedral over in Cagliari."

Bruce borrowed the family's car to go to St. Gabriel's.  When he arrived, he saw it was modest by cathedral standards.  But when he entered, the architecture and artwork was something to rival the Sistine Chapel!  Beautiful renderings of The Stages of the Cross, frescoes of God, Jesus, Mary, and an amazing huge mural depicting the fight of Lucifer and his cohort against God's angels, with the eventual fall of Lucifer.  This mural captivated him, drew him in.  A priest approached him to see if he was OK.  "Yes, this is beautiful," referring to the mural.  "Yes," replied the priest, "it was done by an unknown artist around 18 years ago.  Very strange, angry man.  But he did it for free."  "When I was an orphan, all that was found with me was this medallion from this church.  Have any babies been left here that you took to the hospital?" "Not in my 20 years of service here, no, I'm sorry I can't help you."  Dejected and angry, Bruce stormed out.

The next months were painful for Bruce.  He searched every resource he could find to find out about his parents.  Nothing, and his rage and dark dreams grew.  He knew they were all lying to him.  On his 18th birthday he raged at the family who swore they knew nothing.  The priest, then!  Bruce raced like a demon to the church and burst through the doors.  The priest was standing in front of the altar.  "TELL ME THE TRUTH!" Bruce screamed, frothing at the mouth as he grabbed the priest.  "Son, it is your day to regain your heritage."  The priest removed a long dagger from his pocket and gave it to Bruce, and stepped aside.  On the altar was a young baby, quietly asleep.  "You know what you need to do, Bruce."  With the rage thumping in his temples, Bruce raised the knife high and plunged it down… to just over the baby's heart.  "No, no! I can't.  I won't!" as he dropped the dagger.  The door to the sacristy opened and out walked two men in white robes.  "It is OK brother," said one."  Bruce screamed in despair, "Who are you!  Who AM I?  What is happening!"  The other man replied, "I am Gabriel, and this is my brother Michael.  It is time for you to come home, my brother Lucifer."

-Azathoth, 2010

(The "fun" part, i.e. was hard and sucked, was cutting it down from the original 4 pages to 3 paragraphs.  Now I have a slight idea of how directors feel when they have to stuff their movie into a timeframe.)

Last edited by azathoth (2010-03-09 15:24:35)

Wow, great story Azathoth. would love to read the full one.

Wow, wow and wow.When I struck the idea of three paragraphs, 10 lines per, I never realised what could be done in such short a page. I've seen two other stories that struck me a lot and this one has got me even more. Kind of saddened you cannot enter Azay but if you had, you would have most definitely been a winner. That was amazing.

I loved in how short a space you put so much description and emotion into the piece. We get to see how Bruce is and what tortures him and I felt in just those steps I was with him on the journey, ok yes more could have been done but only with extended lines. With the space I gave you that was fantastic.

I think what really got my attention is the ending didn't feel TACKED on, it felt a natural course throughout to the conclusion and when you read that twist it just grabs you very quickly, kind of leaves you without breath. Again Azay if you had officially taken part you would have been a winner, that was helluva a piece and within the limits. Wonderful piece and hun, would love to see that drafted into a full length story, that could be a great little story! big_smile

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

I'm sorry it's not region 1 hun, really am. This was the only problem I had. Thanks for responding hun as well, the follow up WILL have something in region 1 btw and I plan to make it something decent. How are you Garden hun? smile

Sorry for the long response, but I"m very well.  Working almost nonstop, I get an hour to two hours a day to myself anymore.  Can't wait for that region 1 contest, lol.  I could care less, though, as long as we're here talking, that's all I need!

Thanks, lil' and BTK!  I was hoping some of you would like it.  big_smile

(Vampy originally scolded me for bowing out of the contest.  She didn't care about the prize, she just wanted to know how I did.  She was very excited after reading your review, BTK.  I think it made her day!)

Last edited by azathoth (2010-03-10 01:12:10)

Nice story Azathoth! It was enjoyable smile

azathoth wrote:

(Vampy originally scolded me for bowing out of the contest.  She didn't care about the prize, she just wanted to know how I did.  She was very excited after reading your review, BTK.  I think it made her day!)

it was very good Aza.held the attention.

azathoth wrote:

Aww so cute and she's right you are a silly monkey at times but we still love ya wink

And really glad she loved the review, hehe, nice to know I can make someone's day a little brighter. But I stand by what I say. I know some authors who have little discernable talent, you are not in that catagory. I'd love to see what else you can come up with. big_smile

^^ Give me an assignment of something to write. I worked best when I'm challenged with something.

Vampy was so excited because she thought it was good, and she was happy that someone else did to.  Same goes with my school papers.  She proofreads all my writing.

Oh, and check out the current end of campfire tales thread for a bizarre idea swollen and I came up with.

So finally, here are my contribution...

RICHARD DISCOVERS SOMETHING NEW

Richard woke up this morning smelling sulfur, like he had been for the last two weeks.
It wasnt just the smell that concerned him.
His head was hot like a new baked potato and it felt like ten thousad  flies was pounding
the inside of his brain over and over again.
I really need to go see Dr: Kawasaki he thought as he drove the short way to the school.
He had been teaching there for seven years now.

The headache was beyod anything he had ever felt before when walking down the hall to his classroom.
Good thing there was no students to be seen yet.
He must`ve dozed off, but was awakened by the overwhelming noises around him.
Something was terrible wrong with the students. They looked like something dragged up from the sewer with crazy eyes and worst of all; they were chewing o each other.
It seems, thought Richard, they had all been transformed into gruesome brainmunching zombies.
Richard, the teacher, thought about it for a second ad quickly decided he didn`t want to be a zombie.
He reached out for the fireaxe behind him and lashed at the bloodstenched children.
Arms and legs flew through the room, heads were rolling and guts covered every inch of the floor. Richard sank together and fainted.

"``My name is Xzeno, thanks for the ride ssss ssss ssss``"
What?
What a strange voice and what was up with that tone...?
Who was that? -Hello, anybody there? No answer.
HELLO? .......Nothing.
Richard didnt eve notice the headache was gon.
Because, as he enjoyed the sudden lack of  the bad smell of sulfur he slowly opened his eyes.
Two guards were standing next to him in the hospitalroom and he was shocked to find that he was in a full restraining suit.
From the back Richard heard  a televisio voice announcing  the breaking news about a popular, experienced teacher that out of the blue massacered his etire class with an axe.....

Last edited by mainlo (2010-03-13 01:12:45)

I hope it wasn`t to late to enter...? And this is just part 1 of the contest right?

This is still part 1, and BTK hasn't announced an ending yet.

I liked the idea, mainlo- reminded me of Night Flyer (which is a good thing).  The only thing I would suggest is to give a little bit more background as to why he may have the headaches and why he was smelling sulfur. 

Remember, I'm not in the contest, so I'm not trying to degrade or disparage you!  If you don't mind, I'd like to give you one bit of advice.  My personal opinion is that one or 2 more sentences about the background would ground the story into something the reader could connect with.  I was wondering why he has headaches and smells sulfur.  Maybe radon in his house?  Did he contract a disease, run into some strange beast, have a spooky encounter?  Or just a history of mental disease?  It doesn't have to be obvious, just an off the cuff thought he has about "that night 2 weeks ago when I saw/heard/felt/got new meds"   Now we know where he's coming from.

I didn't me to offend you at all, and I'm sorry if I over stepped my bounds on my suggestions.  It was just the one point in the story I had to go back and re-read to see if I missed something.  But I like how you took a normal(?) guy to Mr. Choppy in a short period of time.

I didn't get the rules so I'm not sure wether I'm even able to join this competition or not, or if this story is... but I love writing so what the hell, here's my contribution. Not as scary as I had hoped it would be, I am no Stephen King. I am not a native englishman or  American so forgive the occasional language mistakes.
smile

The tree.

She was the only reason I found joy and pleasure in living every day. All my life people had come and gone, people had changed, and nothing in my life had stayed the same. Even my wife had passed away, and I hadn’t considered there’d be another woman in my life, ever. Then, suddenly, five years after my wife’s death, this other woman showed up. Out of the blue, literally. I guess you could say it surprised me. The first time I saw her I was in my kitchen, making a cup of coffee. The day was just like any other day - not a pleasant one at all. But as I threw a glance out the window… there she was. Watching me, and smiling right at me. She had climbed into a hole in the big tree in my garden, and looked at me from the inside, through a hole in the trunk. An owl had lived there a few years back, but it was long gone. Now a woman! You could tell she was happy to be there, and happy to see me. Yes, a woman had moved into the tree in my garden. And she had come to stay. We never spoke, never had any actual encounter. But whenever I looked out the window, she’d be there. Inside the tree, smiling at me and waving. Everything was easier, there was not a day I couldn’t make it through, nothing could get to me anymore, as long as she was there – inside the tree, cheering me up just by being there, and staying there. I had always searched for one single element that would be with me throughout my entire life, so that no matter how much changed in my life, one thing would remain the same, one thing would remain with me. Until my wife’s passing I had thought it was her, she was meant to stay by my side forever. Now I knew the woman that had show up in the tree had come to stay for good. For always.

Years passed, I got older - and would have been the loneliest man on earth if it hadn’t been for the woman in my tree, who was always there and didn’t seem to age at all. Everything was perfect. Each and every day she gave me a smile and a cheerful wave of her hand before I got to work, and again when I got home. And if ever I felt I needed her I could just look out my kitchen window, and she'd be there, looking at me from the tree. I thought I had found the true meaning of my life, at last. But of course, nothing lasts forever; suddenly one day I looked out at the tree, expecting to see the woman there as always, but there was nothing. The hole in the tree was empty, there was no face, nobody inside the trunk. There was just the hole. Just a hole in a shallow tree. I dropped the cup of coffee in my hand and didn't bother at all to clean the mess up. I felt my knees shivering and before I knew it I had lost balance, and found myself lying on the floor, in schock. My sorrow was unbearable, I kept lying on the floor fr hours and when I finally got up I cried the whole day. That evening, as I laid in my bed, I deciding to chop the tree down the next morning. I couldn’t stand the thought of having to look at an empty hole every day, remembering what used to be there. But, as I went out to chop it down the next morning, there was fog so thick that I couldn’t see, thus couldn’t chop the tree. I intended to proceed the next day, but the next morning I saw she had come back.

My wife used to say that everything that goes, comes back sooner or later. She was right. The woman was back in my tree, and she had brought me back the greatest possible happiness. Now I was in deep shock over the fact that I had nearly chopped it down. Everything was the same as it used to be, and happiness had returned as quickly as it had left.
That night a giant storm hit our town. It disturbed my sleep, and I woke several times during the night. One time it was the sound of my garbage can blowing across the street that had woken me up. However, third time I woke it had nothing to do with the storm. A figure stood at the foot of my bed and I couldn’t see who it was - but I swear it leaned towards me. I lay stiff in my bed in shock, stared at the figure and felt it staring back at me, despite the fact that I couldn't see its eyes. Suddenly I felt my duvet sliding off, it tickled my skin as it moved across it. I realized the figure was pulling it off.
When the figure had removed the duvet, it sat down on my bed. To my surprise I didn't feel the madress sink the least bit from the weight.
“The tree,"  the figure suddenly said, “It fell over in the storm. I had to climb out."
It was a woman's voice, and I now recognized her figure in the dark. Indeed the woman in my tree had come out! But why had she come here, to my room - and in the middle of the night? There was silence for quite some time, I wasn't sure if she expected me to say anything. Then she spoke again.
“10 years ago you killed me, and threw my body into the tree. Why?"
I recognized the voice now as my late wife’s. I turned on the night lamp in a hurry, and it was her. Sitting stiff in my bed, staring stiffly into the air. I heard no breath from her lips, and saw that she cast no shadow, despite the nightlamp that lit us both up.
“WHY?"  she repeated.
“I… I wanted to make sure you’d stay with me forever. I saw no other way of keeping you from leaving."
“Had I left, I would have eventually come back, and you know that. Everything that leaves comes back. You see, you threw me into the arms of death and I found my way back here at last. Is that not proof enough?"
I had no words. I was happy to see her, and at the same time ashamed of having killed her. For some reason she refused to look at me - I wanted so badly to catch her eyes, to see if the woman who had been in my tree for so long really had been my wife all along. How could it be? Yes, I had killed her and left her body inside the tree, but then how could she be here - now?
“You’re coming with me"  she said all of a sudden, reaching for my hand. “We’ll sleep at my place."
She led me through the dark house, through the front door and out into the storm. Despite the strong wind, her hair didn't move at all, but surrounded her face with a still life beauty that I had always found to be the most amazing thing about her. We walked around in the dark garden, and she helped me into the tree trunk that now laid on the grass, killed by the storm, suddenly taking up most of the garden space. When at last we were both inside the tree, we fell asleep to the sound of the heavy storm. I wasn't sure if I'd ever wake up again, but this I knew:

I would come back.

Last edited by svane (2010-03-14 11:49:22)

Ok, now I see it's too damn long, but anyway. roll

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-cool04.gif