Re: What was the scariest and/or most disturbing book you have ever read?

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:

The book that got me was Stephen King's Salems Lot, that book completely sucked me in.:)

Same here, it used to creep me out. Of course I had a habit of reading it while working the graveyard shift so I'm sure that didn't help.

2 of the better books I've found that are on the disturbing side are Fear Book by John L Byrne and Toy Cemetery by William W Johnstone.

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:

I'm actually reading a pretty creepy one, i have 12 pages to go. It's Lucy's Child by Shaun Hutson, highly recommended.

That is one the best horror books ever made, what awesome book it was.
i am clad i am not the only who knows about this book.

i still can't believe i met Shaun hutson four years ago, one of the (3rd)  best day' of my life and he said he was thinking of making a screenplay for Lucy's Child, hope it happens smile

it be awesome movie

Last edited by BASSI (2009-11-10 18:00:47)

The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley.

bentheprop wrote:
ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:

The book that got me was Stephen King's Salems Lot, that book completely sucked me in.:)

Same here, it used to creep me out. Of course I had a habit of reading it while working the graveyard shift so I'm sure that didn't help.

I also read it while i was working night shift.:)

BASSI wrote:
ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:

I'm actually reading a pretty creepy one, i have 12 pages to go. It's Lucy's Child by Shaun Hutson, highly recommended.

That is one the best horror books ever made, what awesome book it was.
i am clad i am not the only who knows about this book.

i still can't believe i met Shaun hutson four years ago, one of the (3rd)  best day' of my life and he said he was thinking of making a screenplay for Lucy's Child, hope it happens smile

it be awesome movie

That would be a fucking awesome movie, that needs to happen.

hellrat wrote:

The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley.

I thought that they started out ok and had a pretty cool premise but I got bored with them.

I read "The Exorcist" when it was new in hardback, ( I was around 11-12), scared me to death.

I believe the most influential, scare wise , would be Stephen King's  "It"-- I read this every Halloween.

Not really a horror book, but "On the Beach".  It's about a post nuke world set in Australia.  Severely depressing.  Made me cry.  I refuse to watch the movie(s) made on it.

"On the Beach" , by Nevil Shute, was required reading when I was in high school--remember old Miss Miller--ahh the memories !!:cool:

"The Birds" (actually a novella) by Daphne DuMaurier really frightened me as an 8 or 9 yr old.  Then the movie-- I sat up late to see it after mom and dad went to sleep...scared myself silly!

Tick Tock by dean kootz scaried the holy bejeezus outta me.

It was a french book "Le Passager" writen by Patrick Senecal. It's not everyone who's able to read french, but if you can, take a look to this disturbing realistic novel. If you loved "Psycho", you gonna love this book.

Last edited by D@vid (2010-01-15 11:40:58)

A couple of Stephen King novels did it for me... Pet Semetary, The Shining, It... and the first time I read Rosemary's Baby at age 12[?] it scared the bowels out of me.

hmmm...no mention of "Under The Dome"  If you're a  King fan, read this one, it has very disturbing ideas that are very realistic. I cried at least 10 times while reading this book, but it was so worth it.

As for scary books, The Night Stalker bio was terrifying! (Richard Ramirez)

David Moody's work is also very scary in a diiferent way, makes you feel small and alone in this world....

The most recently disturbing Book I read was Gargoyle,  I don't think it was intended to be horror but was far more gruesome than most horror books I have read...   As for a book that scared the crap out of me,  I would have to say Cujo by Stephen King.

Atlas Shrugged.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Blasted thing kept me up for weeks!

Saw was pretty disgusting, probably my favorite. There other movies that are scary/intense without being gory or anything. Like some Hitchcock films. What do you guys think, what is the scariest Horror movie, and dont say "Scream" I thought it was a comedy it was so lame.

fredgarvin wrote:

I 'd probably say The Shining. a great read.

This is high on my list too, but largely helped by the fact that I read it during a skiing holiday. Yep, remote snowly location and spartan lodge accommodation both added to my immersion in the story.

I loved Stephen King's novels but those stories doesn't really scare me per say though i find them very entertaining but as a child and now , i always been fascinated and  loved the supernatural/paranormal/crytozoology stuffs and i remember reading "the amityville horror" by Jay Anson before i saw the movie and that scares me considering that it's billed as a non-fiction book.
Non-fiction books on acccounts of ghost hauntings/ufo abductions scares me more than fictional horror stories. lol

Last Days by Brian Evenson is quite disturbing.

Also American Psycho and the work of Edward Lee

Dreamcatcher - Stephen King
Very disturbing

The Stand by Stephen King.  That could really happen (with the virus)

Anything by Richard Laymon...his books are all disturbing on some level...

I've read The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey twice but it was more interesting than disturbing.