Topic: Opera(1987)

Dario Argento's Opera is another cool film by him. It came out in 1987 and stars Ian Charleson(from Chariots of Fire) and William McNamara.

The film is about a young opera star whose doing MacBeth and is stalked by a vicious killer. The best kill scene in it is when the killer ties the young girl up and puts needles under her eyes to make her watch him slaughter a guy who she just slept with.

If you have never seen this film before be sure to check it out soon. I have the 2 disc dvd version of it.

Re: Opera(1987)

Great giallo horror.  I have the older version on DVD.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

Great giallo horror.  I have the older version on DVD.

The 2nd disc in the dvd is just the soundtrack of the film.;)

I don't know what's making me wait to get this movie. It always ends up being last on my lists neutral Is it really a good Argento film or is it below average for him?
I thought The Card Player was an average Argento movie, so how does Opera stack up to that?

DemonToSome wrote:

I don't know what's making me wait to get this movie. It always ends up being last on my lists neutral Is it really a good Argento film or is it below average for him?
I thought The Card Player was an average Argento movie, so how does Opera stack up to that?

This is a good Argento flick and has some good kills in it. It's a 1000 times better than The  Card Player or any of his recent films. Opera has a good cast, great music, and good gore. It's a must own dvd for any Argento fan.

OK sounds good... Opera goes from the bottom to the top of my list. smile

DemonToSome wrote:

OK sounds good... Opera goes from the bottom to the top of my list. smile

Try to get the 2 disc dvd set of it. I have the Limited Edition 2 dvd of it that I bought like 2 or 3 years ago so I'm not sure what dvds are in print of it now.

I Believe Blue Underground released a newer version.  Could be wrong, though.

Your right. Blue Underground will be re-releasing Suspiria, Opera, Cat O'Nine Tails and Stendhal Syndrome on Sept 25th

Sweet!  Looking forward to that.  big_smile

I've got the older Anchor Bay 2-disc version of Dario Argento's Opera. It's a pretty good film, not one of my favorite Argento works, but still pretty cool.

By the way, not to be a spoiler or anything, but has anyone noticed that this film has almost the exact same twist ending as Red Dragon?

As far as the soundtrack disc is concerned, I dubbed Steel Grave's Knights of the Night onto one of my mix discs. It's right smack in between Pearl Jam's Comatose (2006) and Queen's Mustapha (1978). As strange as that company might sound, the whole thing flows rather nicely! smile

Last edited by Darth Pazuzu (2007-07-17 16:26:16)

Looks like I'll be getting Blue Underground's Opera and Stendhal Syndrome. I already have Suspiria & Cat O'Nine Tails. I think if Opera was one of Argento's best, I would have bought it along time ago smile

One of Argento's best horror flicks.

I like the wat Argento references his previous films without taking away from the movie as it plays. He has a way of shooting architectural features that builds the films suspense.

it's certainly amongst his better films.

One of my fav. Argento films. Can't go wrong with this one.

I've seen it but don't own it (yet).  Very good.

Awesome movie.  I need to break out my DVD of this one day.  Only problem I remember with it was the back of the DVD case gave away who the killer was which really ruined any suspense or surprise the first time I watched it.  Way to go Blue Underground.:mad:

mdc666 wrote:

Way to go Blue Underground.:mad:

Always go with 'Monkeys Preserves' pure movie experience. All the action/drama/thrills with none of the spoilers or letdown.  100% guaranteed.  If you're not happy, we'll come clobber your headpan until you can't remember your name and sue us!  [editor- take out that last sentence.]

Dario Argento'sOpera is a brillant piece of work,theres not enough praise I could give this man.

I had this movie about 5 years ago and it was one of the many that were stolen from me.  I still have yet to pick it up again, but I really liked it.  I wasn't in favour of the Iron Maiden soundtrack, although I do like the band's music.  I just wish he would've mixed it with score, much like he did in Phenomena.

azathoth wrote:
mdc666 wrote:

Way to go Blue Underground.:mad:

Always go with 'Monkeys Preserves' pure movie experience. All the action/drama/thrills with none of the spoilers or letdown.  100% guaranteed.  If you're not happy, we'll come clobber your headpan until you can't remember your name and sue us!  [editor- take out that last sentence.]

I ask myself, What the Hell are you talking about?

Yet another great Argento movie! Gotta love those Steel Grave songs too!

Last edited by hackblowfist666 (2010-06-08 17:26:38)

I don't think I've been disappointed by Argento yet.

azathoth wrote:

I don't think I've been disappointed by Argento yet.

I miss my buddy and I do agree with you wholeheartedly....