Topic: House of Pain Feature script

Hey guys,

I really respect your opinions here on this board so I wanted to ask for some help.

I'm currently writing the full length version of HOP and I'm a little stuck between whether to write it with a good back story that leads into the house, or just start with the house and right into the action.

Personally, I'm in favor of starting from the beginning and building the story. There is enough material to write a part 2 and make that the gorier part.  I just feel like there is a lot of good story to be told if I start from the beginning.

My only fear is that horror fans won't want to watch the story unfold and just want to see instant gore.  We've been a little spoiled lately with gorey horror films that don't build the story too much.

What are you thoughts on this?

Mike

Re: House of Pain Feature script

Mike!!!!
Oh No No No....Don't you waver on that thought!! you have it right..damn it man go with your gut:) Unfold that back story it makes the gore all the better. You know what you want, now the quest is to make Us SEE it:) your way.

thanks..... i've started writing it from the beginning as it stands now..... Just a little scared that it might be too much story....

i'd say right now its going to be more like a Kalifornia, natural born killers, seven, type movie. 

More about the psychology behind serial killers and then it leads to the house to answer those questions posed in the beginning.

Excellent. I'm such a huge fan of those types of movies. Definitely having a back story leading up to the present is the perfect way to come about the story.

Starting to feel a little better big_smile

Well that's good. Don't worry. We all have faith in you that you will pull out some great stuff. So far what you have shown us and brought onto the table it turning out really nicely. Just the way the how you want it to work, look, and feel will come alive. Just give it time and once the script it done, you will know exactly when it will be done and how exactly you want the movie to look and feel.

You should be my shrink, lol

I have faith, but its hard when you want to please a lot of people. Horror fans are so fickle... myself included, lol

lol Hey you should look at it this way. Yeah you want to please the fans. But you also have to do it for yourself. You and you alone will know when it's done. If you're pleased with it and liked how it turned out, then once everyone will see we will see what your true vision is. But only you will know when it's done and your true insight and vision is.

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-06-06 12:42:09)

Amen!

Perhaps i can tap a few of you guys to read the script at its various stages to give your critiques.

That'll be awesome. I'm glad i can shed some light on you.

send me your e-mail address

houseofpainmovie@hotmail.com

nkFloyd2880@yahoo.com

I like both aspects of horror, a really well played out story in almost favorable to gore just for the sake of shock value. But don't get me wrong I love a well done gore flick that has a story that requires it. I think you might be on the right track, make the two films contrast each other, use a lot of muted colors and dark corners to tell the first and move to a very visceral color scheme for the second, vibrant reds in the blood and plenty of it. You may even want to mix media, shoot the first on film for the raw grain of it and the second on DV for the crisp colors and light angles. Thank for asking for our opinion, I for one love that and hope to one day shoot my film or have someone shoot it for me that shares my vision, maybe you if you want. Good luck.

True horror fans want to see the story unfold first.  I am ready for House of Pain and the sequel.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Hard2kill.... You're taking the ideas right out of my head... the first one will likely be shot on 16mm as its set in the past 60's, then 80's.....

I'm always up for talking about shooting a project... or i can tell you what i did to be able to shoot it myself smile

The Epitome of Fear - i'm glad you guys are looking for a story as well as the gore..... the first part will make the second part like a nice desert after a fine meal!

I agree with the full story scenario

Full story it is then..... i'll make it a 2 parter..... maybe not like one movie like grindhouse, but two separate movies.

I say go with the unfolding story.  Make it a "slow burn" type of horror flick, so to speak.  That way, you can squeeze in all the horror necessities and still have some fun towards the end.  I'm sure whatever you choose will turn out excellent, though.  Thanks again for keeping us informed.

No, thank you guys....

if anyone else wants in on the "making of" let me know... i can set up something on the back end of the HOP site where i can show you things and have you give your opinion on the script, actors, locations, etc.....

who ever is interested let me know via e-mail

I have a good idea for a film and want to start the script soon but the idea is kind of big and I'm not even sure if it's feasable on a small budget. Could I run the idea past you and see what you think House?

I think it's awesome that you are asking for the opinion of die hard horror fans.  If only all film makers took an intrest in our opinions. Thank you for the opportunity.

Hard2Kill - sure, e-mail me

The Epitome of Fear - I think all the big guys should have a focus group of horror fans that are allowed info on the movie and shit like that.... It would be much easier to make better movies if you asked the people who pay to see them what they actually want to see! lol

Mike, in my humble opinion write the full story from beginning to end.  What you don't get to use in the first movie can always go into another.  This seems to be shaping up into something really cool!

humble opinions are always welcomed smile