Topic: Tim Burton

I like his direction and ideas, he has an eye for artistic darkness in his movies. Has he ever made a HORROR movie?
if not he should:)

Re: Tim Burton

I'm not the biggest fan of Tim Burton.  Big Fish really actually bored me as I sat in the theatres.  Edward Scissor Hands is the only film that remotely interests me, but not much.  I know a lot of people will disagree and I'm probrably the only one but I really didnt like A nightmare Before Christmas, it was just...I dont know, but all I know is I couldnt watch it again.

Yea I think A Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride were the only two "horror" films he has done.. I like his style. Its very kind of a happy macabre feel I guess if thats possible.. He always does horror with a bit of tongue in cheek..

Big fan of Burton. My favorites would be:

Batman
Batman Returns
A Nightmare Before Christmas
Edward Sizorhands
Big Fish

He never made a horror. the stuff the one person posted were not horror. al his movies is just a dark version of a childs film. I just saw alace inwonderland and it was dark as expected but nothing scary about it. after all his movies are often made by disney and i do not think disney makes horror lol

He didn't do Nightmare Before Christmas you silly people.
BBCode: on[img] tag: onSmilies: on
Godzilla, they are close enough to horror to be considered horror.  I can name 5 I'd consider horror (but they've all been listed above).  Silly girl

You're all silly

neutral

You're right Matt, he didnt direct Nightmare Before Christmas but thats because he has no experience directing stop-motion animation other then the short film Vincent which he only co-directed.  But he wrote the story and was a producer.  And Jack Skellington made a brief cameo in Beetlejuice.  wink

Personally, I think Sleepy Hollow was his closest film to the horror genre, followed by Beetlejuice.

Oh and Sweeney Todd.  Forgot about that pile of crap.

Tim Burton's a very good and original director but a tad overrated.Edward Scissorhands was hands down his best work.

I always loved his dark & goth side but i think after all these years, it became a bit same old same old. I would love to see a real Horror movie from Tim Burton. He should do something more creppy. He is a bit overrated and that's really sad cause he's a genius.

He's always been a director I admire for not following the same mantra as other directors. I would love to see him do a proper out and out horror imo. I think he has done some that are 'roundabout' horror especially with Sweeney Todd but there's always an artistic element . Would love to see him take away that and just be pure bloody insanity but he is a favourite of mine, often drawn inspiration from my novels from him so he's right up there in my books. smile

Can Tim Burton get someone else other then Danny Elfman to do a soundtrack please?  Just like how Burton's asthetic feel is all starting to blend together, all the soundtracks elfman does for TB are sounding the same these days too.

jmh314 wrote:

Can Tim Burton get someone else other then Danny Elfman to do a soundtrack please?  Just like how Burton's asthetic feel is all starting to blend together, all the soundtracks elfman does for TB are sounding the same these days too.

He likes to use the same people, most of his films these days star Johnny Depp & his misses, but a lot of directors do that, Tarantino for one does.

I'm a huge Tim Burton fan - esp Nightmare Before Christmas - and I'd love to see him tackle a true "horror" film. His movies always have a macabre twist and are bordering on insane, I think he'd do horror very well. Lets keep our fingers crossed big_smile

Lilith wrote:

I'm a huge Tim Burton fan - esp Nightmare Before Christmas

Again, not directed by Tim Burton.  But I dont fault people for thinking so since his name is plastered all over it.  Poor Henry Selick not getting the credit he deserves.  Oh well, at least he finally got some recognition with Coraline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/arts/ … .html?_r=1

mean review, but shed's light into a few dark corners. I would have LOVED to have seen his work in NYC.

jmh314 wrote:
Lilith wrote:

I'm a huge Tim Burton fan - esp Nightmare Before Christmas

Again, not directed by Tim Burton.  But I dont fault people for thinking so since his name is plastered all over it.  Poor Henry Selick not getting the credit he deserves.  Oh well, at least he finally got some recognition with Coraline.

Havent gotten around to seein Coraline yet but definitely want to, looks good

thedeadshallrule wrote:

I like his direction and ideas, he has an eye for artistic darkness in his movies. Has he ever made a HORROR movie?
if not he should:)

Sleepy Hollow is a horror movie, even many consider The Nightmare Before X-Mas somewhat a horror-oriented film. IMO, even Edward Scissorhands is dark and twisted, but not a horror feature. Beetlejuice is considered a dark comedy/horror flick. Sweeney Todd is both a musical/horror flick. The upcoming Dark Shadows, which Burton and Depp are attached too is most definitely a horror movie. Look for Dark Shadows in 2011. It's production/filming will be located in England. Both Shadows fans and I are siked for this one!!!

Last edited by The Cryptkeeper (2010-06-20 14:51:51)