Topic: Confirming Resident Evil 3 is being filmed in Baja Calif. now

I am a 64 yr. old grandma and don't think I've ever watched a horror movie in my life.....or ever will. Nevertheless, I can appreciate that not everyone feels the same way I do, each to his own. I own a 2nd home near San Felipe, Mexico. I drove down there Mon. Just a little south of the town of Mexicali (Baja Calif.), the road splits into 2 lanes going south, 2 lanes going north. This is where I can pick up speed as the Mexicans usually drive at a snail's pace. Well, I was really pissed when I saw that one lane on each side for miles and miles was closed to north and southbound traffic. Nearing one area, there were cars turned upside down, ambulances, cops. I thought there must have been a terrible accident. As I got closer, something looked fishy. The ambulances were made to look very old and dirty and there were no injured people around. Then I saw the cameras and trucks and realized they were filming a movie. Today, I drove back (it's about 120 miles from San Felipe to the Mexicali border) and the movie folks had set up in the Laguna Salada, a huge dry wash about 1/2 way to San Felipe. There is one very large mountain in the wash near the road. I couldn't believe how many tents, trailers and trucks I saw. On top of the mountain ridge, there must have been 100-200 people who looked more like crew than actors. They had built a small set of chain link fencing and I couldn't see all of it but there was a heliocopter in there and what looked like an oil pumping rig. This is a very large production. Now that I'm home, I did a search to see what was being filmed. I'm disappointed it isn't starring Brad Pitt or Sylvestor Stalone but you guys will be happy. Out of curiosity, I may go see it!

Can anyone tell me what they think the plot is?

Forgot to tell you.....I think the name of the movie is Resident Evil 3.

Last edited by GrandmaLinda (2006-06-18 00:30:47)

Re: Confirming Resident Evil 3 is being filmed in Baja Calif. now

Heh, welcome, age is not matter here, rumors say Meh used to be 84 before making a deal with the devil.

Resident Evil 3 will concern the occurence/aftermath of a zombie apocalypse type scenario, if it doesn't rely to much upon the fact that the lead is somewhat of a cyborg. Future Publishing is notorious for getting rumors wrong and giving them as fact too (been a victim of that myself) so I believe this movie will follow the group of remaining survivors, along with new characters like Barry Burton, trying to bring down the evil Umbrella company, who created this zombie mess.

And Albert Wesker is in the film too, geek fuse for some! I fear what will happen though, after the first film being alright (7/10), and the second film being rubbish (3/10).

Welcome to the site. There was an earlier report on MoviesOnline that this was filming in Mexico and your update is fantastic! It has been posted as news here http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6025.html

Resident Evil 3 is Gonna Ruleeeeeeeeee ! ! !

Hmmm, so you like the proposal then? wink

I certainly hope RE3 is excellent, no mad flash-edit directing when next top zombies, or the reliance on one actor. I'll never forget in the "Making of" part of the RE2 documentary when one of the producers said; "If the screen time gets boring, we just cut to a shto of Milla." A veteran producer saying that slays me, not even Michael Bay is that idiotic.

I hope RE3 is going to be good.  The director also did Highlander and I really didn't care for it the first time, but it has slowly grown on me.  I have liked the RE movie series so far and I hope this brings in more beasties from the game series.

Im curious about which way the movie is heading... the 1st one had the zombies as main carachters... in the 2nd one the conspiracies were the main event... now everything can happen in the 3rd one

I'm not really a fan of this series.. I think it has been the involvement of W.S. Anderson that has really screwed this franchise.. When RE2 was about to come out I really didn't like the idea but the trailers sold me on it.. Than I was disappointed with the film when I went to check it out.. Hopefully with the third film they can redeem the franchise..

Anderson has lost a lot of his talent over the last few years, I no doubt having Jeremy Bolt (not sure if that's the correct name) kiss his arse helped in that region, but he could get back his composure for decent movies if he stops with the awful CG Lickers and messing with god ideas to turn them into God Awful ideas. Alice as a Terminatrix for example, throughout RE3 it'll be the old "Must stop computer brain...to save my friends" thing.

And I hoped that they'd kill her off at the start of it. Wait, that could still happen. Please!

Despite what folks say I think Anderson is a decent director, Event Horizon had me creeped out.  Though ALIEN VS PREDATOR could have been a lot better.  I read an interview with him in Fangoria before AVP came out about the CGI Licker in RE and he said they didn't have the budget or time to do one since they had already build a creature of the Licker v2.0

So far I am enjoying the series.  And I hope the third is better than 1 or 2

Didn't have the budget or time to do one? In the documentary on the RE disc he and his co-hort Jeremy Bolt explain how it took 9 hours for three seconds of the CGI for the licker to work accompanied by computer screens and showing how the CGI was blended onto the model...Paul Anderson, yet another twist to his "truthful" reputation.

I don't have the time right now but I will dig up that copy of Fango (I do save them smile) and look for where he mentioned the Licker.  All I can recall right now they didn't have time or money to build an anamatronic one.

Here we go Fangoria issue # 235 article, excerpt from "The AVP Referee" by Mark Salisbury.  Anderson talks of the special effects of the creatures of AVP before talking of RE:

...Anderson being disappointed with how the CG licker looked in Resident Evil.  "The problem we had with that was we added it late," he admits.  "What we should have done, which we've done in the sequel, is build an animatronic [Licker] and do CG enhancement.  In the first movie, I decided during principal photography that we should add it.  But by then it was too late to build one for real, so we had to go for all CGI."

Ah righty, sorry I was reading your first message wrong, I tend to do that alot, to be honest if he used some camera tricks and darkness he oculd have done a much better job of it CGI or no CGI.

I like Anderson for doing films that no one else would probably do however, takes some guts.

Yea but Anderson make WAY too many excuses.. Like with AVP he kept promising that the Unrated version would be much better and deal with some of the inconsistincies in the movie.. Nope.. Hes always passing the buck onto someone else..

I do have the unrated cut of AVP, more or less because I got it for a few bucks off via coupon.  The extra disc is great, it is much more in depth with the making of and goes through prep-finished product and isn't all fluff.

The deleted stuff though, grant it there are some added scenes that are understandably cut because they were fillers or just bits of random convo.  Blood and gore wise, first glance it looks very real but after a few viewings it seems that Fox had it digitally added in long afterward.

Anderson, I respect him like you said Dean for doing stuff most folks wouldn't do.  I have no prob with him and Res Evil but I do have a problem with one of the producers for it...and it isn't Jeremy Bolt.  George A. Romero did a screenplay (it is on the net somewhere) and I read a little bit and it is VERY well done and goes at a fresh angle to the game yet still nice and close.  Though one of producers apparently threatened to back out if Romero didn't make changes so instead Romero dropped.

I've heard rumors of Anderson doing a remake of Roger Corman's DEATH RACE 2000 sometime in the near future and doing CASTLEVANIA as a movie too.

Here is the George Romero written script..

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Resident-Evil.html

As for the reason it was dropped. I was at a convention in Pittsburgh and this was brought up. Apparently the producers were in Germany or somewhere like that.. They didn't like the script and wouldn't fund it unless he did a major overhaul.. Which in my opinon was really stupid..

Romero told everyone there that he had actually gone to the Capcom studios and they gave him tons of material to put in the script.. Even things that were going to be used in the next game that he could incorporate in his script.. So I can see why he was frustrated when the idiot producers wanted him to completely change the script..

I heard a Capcom thing saying that the execs were very pleased with Romero's screenplay. 

I plan to sit down this summer and read all of his script and see if any ideas popped up in the two current Res Evil films.

It was said that the German execs for Constantin films (I think) found it too gory and not based on enough "new monsters" so they asked for an overhaul, and good ole George did drop out. 

The Capcom exeecs were half and half really, some found it was too differentform the game (and look at the film that was made *rolls eyes*) and the others felt it gave a great representation of what Resident Evil was about, but because George is a wee bit stubborn, he dropped out, and expendable Anderson took the helm.

And Castlevania as a movie, I have loved the stories of the games, but they aren't new, apart from the Bellmont name and huge castles, it could be overall generic, or completely different from the games if made. I'd hope for the latter.

Well you must know more than Romero does about the Capcom execs.. Because what he told us was that he went directly to Capcom and asked them for all sorts of information and all sorts of things to incorporate into the scripts.. I guess you could still be right and they just didn't approve of the final product.. Which would have been there fault because they supplied him with everything he used in the script..

Uhu, I heard that the use of characters being different, such as Chris being a more, well, hippy type fellow, that, and the fact it used too many creatures (possibly a budget thing however, but again, they would have provided 'em with stuff so...). So I guess Paul WS got around that by just having no characters from the games in the first film.

The main outlet where Romero got his ideas was from his son recording himself play the game, so it probably had a better effect.

NOTE - the draft that drifts around the net (or one of the more popular ones) is not Romero's first attempt, it's a rewrite by another person, mostly Romero's stuff, but edited. He had several different endings to choose from too, which included deaths for all the characters, happy endings and some middle ground stuff. Sadly we got a different movie, but eh, the first RE movie was alright.

Whatever the reason, we don't get Romero instead we got Paul W.S Anderson doing the movie.

From a practical standpoint Anderson's movie isn't that bad for a film that cost about $20million.  It could have been a lot worse and it also hits the series differently and starts everyone at the same level so it would not isolate the community of people who never played RE and it would hopefully please the fans.

As some people would say nowadays....at least Uwe Boll didn't get the rights.

Agreed, the first movie was fairly good, but the second movie confused me to no ends, it was pretty stupid, and just had too many cop-outs, most of all Terminatrix Alice. A survivor being shouldn't be a B.O.W. in Resident Evil, it just doesn't work.

B.O.W?

Well, the second one was far more in line with the games, mostly RE3.  Some angles were also taken straight from it, like the street battle between STARS and the zombies, straight from the game cut scene and I liked that.

I guess we have to wait and see what is being concoted in Baja.

Uhm... continuing the original topic, I can tell more about RESIDENT EVIL 3, the mexican press ( http://www.cronica.com.mx/nota.php?id_nota=242761 ) says that it's gonna be filmed at Estudios Churubusco Azteca in mexican capital city, Aguiñaga Ortuño, (director of this studio) informed also that it will continue filming until the end of August.

It only reveals that she's rescuing some survivors trying to reach Alaska.

Milla was the only one confirmed to stay in Mexico City... I wonder why...

thegoldensimatar wrote:

B.O.W?

Well, the second one was far more in line with the games, mostly RE3.  Some angles were also taken straight from it, like the street battle between STARS and the zombies, straight from the game cut scene and I liked that.

I guess we have to wait and see what is being concoted in Baja.

Sorry, my geekiness is getting a hold of me, Bio Organic Weapon or something similar, basically anyhting tampered and altered by our favourite umbrella company.

The problem I had with the second one is that it tried to get the characters from the games involved, when it ommited them from the first film, continuity problems for me there, seeing as STARS would have been the first down to the Hive if they were so important and "the best" in Raccoon City. Hell there were enough of them to be expendable.

Plus Nemesis turned into Braveheart at the end and risked it all for his girlfriend *rolls eyes*