Topic: Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk

Has anyone read Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)?  I was desperate for something really gripping, read a couple of reviews and got it.  I shudder to think what key words I used to find this book, but holy shit, did it deliver.

It has got to be, hands down, the sickest book I have ever read.  I almost gave it away after first reading because it was so disturbing, but instead, I read it again.  Then I loaned it to my brother, and he won't give it back.

Re: Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk

I've read all chucks books. They are all crazy in their own way but Haunted is one of his weaker books. Probably in my bottom 3 for chuck books

really ? I will have to read this book.. I just re-read American Psycho..I totally dig how it was written (and printed )   only thing is the guy friend who gave it to me highlighted all the sex scenes.. ..yikes !

I had to put it down a couple of times to just shake off the wierdness, but it was worth it at the end.

I know he's everyone's favorite literary darling, but I've read 4 or 5 of his novels, and he is something of a one trick pony for me.  Entertaining, yes, but not really exceptional.

But to each his own, and I wouldn't knock any of his fans.

Haunted actually made me physically gag! That's never happened to me and i've read American Psycho lol. American Psycho has to be the sickest most disturbing and depraved thing i've even read though and I love it tongue.

Haunted was brillant from begining to end - it was a hardcore horror fan's dream of literary perfection. I am a huge Chuck fan - I even have his non-fiction book which is almost as twisted as his fiction.

gothiczen wrote:

Haunted was brillant from begining to end - it was a hardcore horror fan's dream of literary perfection. I am a huge Chuck fan - I even have his non-fiction book which is almost as twisted as his fiction.

Awesome! I love him as well, the only one I haven't liked of his is 'Rant' because I just couldn't understand it.

I guess I'm gonna have to read it now.  I've been wanting to read it for a while now and I guess I will now after reading what you guys say....

Yes it's worth it. Aside from the disgusting parts. It is really really funny!

I've really liked that book. you should give it a try.

If you can't tell from my name, I love gore.  That's mostly what I read...

A friend of mine has the book and read me the story about the boy in the pool (I'm sure you know which one I mean. The one that supposedly made people faint). Though Chuck says some of the stories are based on true tales, I'm pretty sure 95% of it is left up to his imagination.

Last edited by MikeBites (2010-06-21 13:43:07)

MikeBites wrote:

A friend of mine has the book and read me the story about the boy in the pool (I'm sure you know which one I mean. The one that supposedly made people faint). Though Chuck says some of the stories are based on true tales, I'm pretty sure 95% of it is left up to his imagination.

Yes. Guts. Probably the most gruesome body horror I have ever read in literature. (Literature?)

Anyways, my face was contorted like a living-dead doll the whole way through. I still am haunted by images of a boys lower intestines floating around in the chlorinated water of a pool. And those flecks of corn! !!! Gross.

One thing that kept me interested was the whole moral disintegration of the group, these folks were a little twisted to begin with, but holy shit, did they lose track of conscience quick!  What a scary bunch.

LivingDeadDoll wrote:

One thing that kept me interested was the whole moral disintegration of the group, these folks were a little twisted to begin with, but holy shit, did they lose track of conscience quick!  What a scary bunch.

Yes totally. It really happens FAST.

I thought that was really funny though, the way they are determined to top each other.