Topic: Death Note and Death Note 2

Hey everyone.  I was just wondering if anyone else saw the Japanese films Death Note and Death Note: The Last Name?  I dont know how many people here may have seen them since they aremore of a mystery/thriller than pure horror.  Overall these movies were one of the most refreshing experiences I have had in a long time.
I bought the first film about a month or two back on a recommendation from a fellow horror fan and loved it enough to buy the second film before the first was over.  I had to import them through an E-bay purchase as they are not available in the US to my knowledge, but they were cheap and WELL worth it!

The two are essentailly one movie split into two large halfs as the second continues right at the end of part 1.(Kind of like with Kill Bill)  I reviewed both of these films today so head to my morguespace and check them out for a summary of these films.  HIGHLY recommended, but like I said it is more mystery/thriller and not horror, so dont expect frights or blood.

Re: Death Note and Death Note 2

I was just reading your reviews and they sound good. I have read the manga and am wondering where Id be able to see these movies?

KillianDarkwater wrote:

I was just reading your reviews and they sound good. I have read the manga and am wondering where Id be able to see these movies?

Little late on my reply to this, but I bought a set of the two movies together on eBay.  I use one specific seller on their to find a lot of my asian films as the place I have them is usually the best quality, but there were many people with these DVDS up.

Yea I had been reporting on them here on the site.. They look really interesting.. I haven't bought them yet though simply because they hadn't been released in the states.. Can you give me the sellers eBay name? That way I know I will be getting a quality copy.. I have been ripped off on eBay before so I tend not to do it that much anymore..

They are good Goon, but as my review states, dont expect them to be true horror films.  Definitely more mystery/thriller type of films but very entertaining.

But if you are looking on eBay the user I use is sundevildvd.  They have an ebay store which can be found here:  http://stores.ebay.com/SunDevilDVD_W0QQ … 2222QQtZkm

I got my copies of Battle Royale and Battle Royale 2 there, as well as both Death Note films and a few other Asian films like Tokyo Zombie and the complete anime series of Hellsing(which I love too).  I found they have the best quality, decent packaging, and the captions are usually really well done.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-06-17 00:27:52)

i havent seen them, but they look cool. i'll try to find them

Sound like good films.  I'll have to look into them.

Well, if you are a fan of the manga Death Note then it is better off if you do not watch the movies. The first movie has great similarities in storyline with the manga until the end. the second movie just takes it completely away from the manga itself. The only thing worth watching, if you're a hardcore fan, is the guy that plays L. The way he looks and acts is EXACTLY like L, which is actually cool. Whoever found this guy must've looked around alot.

On a side note, they are making a spin-off from these films.  It will be a prequel that takes place before the events of the first two.  The story is going to revolve solely around the mysterious detective "L" and some earlier case he solved that made him famous.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-06-19 11:35:45)