Topic: Johnny Depp to play Dr Who?

It's a fast flying rumour but it's interesting none the less.
Tor.com are claiming that it has been confirmed by studio sources that Depp will star as the iconic time traveler in the movie slated for release in 2012. They won't or can't say which studio is involved and other details seem pretty slim at the moment.
The rumour of an American made movie has been bouncing around since 2008 when Russell T Davies announced that he was leaving the show to head for L.A.
I honestly don't know what to make of this news. A Dr Who movie sounds like a nice idea but I'm not convinced that Depp is right for the role. I don't think he could pull off the British eccentricity required without going over the top and turning it into parody.
What do you guys think?
Who would you like to see in the role?
Me? I think Eddie Izzard would do the role justice.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Dr Who?

Bring back Tennent.

Way to think outside the box Az wink lol:lol:

I built the damn box, climbed inside, and somehow nailed it shut from the outside!  If you want outside the box, teach Bruce Campbell an English accent.

Doesn't this just scream Time Lord?
http://animoscrypt.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/brucecampbell.jpg

It screams invisible motorboating lol:lol::lol:

Yeeessssss, I see what you mean, only with paddles, though.  So no, I have no idea, but Wonder Woman had an invisible jet, so who am I to complain.

http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/images/invisible-boat-canoe-kayak1.jpg

I stopped watching Dr. Who after Sylvester McCoy.

it's not gonna happen, Russel T David is not the head writer and BBC wont do it unless Jhonny Depp would commit to be a future Doctor (see what i did).
it would mess up the series that is on and ruin what they have done

The last couple of years have been pretty good.  Though I still like the guy with the big scarf (is that him?)

jason myers wrote:

it's not gonna happen, Russel T David is not the head writer and BBC wont do it unless Jhonny Depp would commit to be a future Doctor (see what i did).

Au contraire jason. Doctor Who movies have been made before with a different actor playing the Doctor.

<INSERT MACHO NAME HERE> wrote:
jason myers wrote:

Au contraire jason. Doctor Who movies have been made before with a different actor playing the Doctor.

The subliminal beast is correct.  The Doc media universe is big.  Go Wiki Doctor Who and come back in about 3-4 days.

hellrat wrote:

I stopped watching Dr. Who after Sylvester McCoy.

i stopped watching Dr who after Jon Pertwee roll

azathoth & <INSERT MACHO NAME HERE>
you are correct there have been Doctor Who movies, the main two being the ones with Peter Cushing as the Doctor and Paul McGann in the TV movie.
Peter Cushing's doctor is not part of the Doctor Who universe but Paul McGann is (he was the 8th).

its pointless to do a movie with a new actor because there is currently a series and already development for the next series.

to me its like if someone else played jack Bauer in the 24:  Redemption

hmmm... I'm a Depp fan but I agree, I don't think he'd be right for the role of Who. Not sure who I would want to see in it though....  I'll get back to you on that hmm

I'll tell you who you want to see play the Doctor Lillith.
Eddie Izzard wink
Think about it.

lol lol Not sure about that Macho... Maybe.... Anthony Stewart Head... Hugh Laurie... Russell Brand?

Too old, too old and no fucking way, he's too much of an arse lol:lol:

alright fine, I'll stick with David Tennant roll

jason myers wrote:

azathoth & <INSERT MACHO NAME HERE>
you are correct there have been Doctor Who movies, the main two being the ones with Peter Cushing as the Doctor and Paul McGann in the TV movie.
Peter Cushing's doctor is not part of the Doctor Who universe but Paul McGann is (he was the 8th).

its pointless to do a movie with a new actor because there is currently a series and already development for the next series.

to me its like if someone else played jack Bauer in the 24:  Redemption

It's not anywhere close to that.  Did you miss the part where there are multiple doctors?  Or the part where Peter Cushing's doctor isn't part of the the Doctor Who universe?  There's no reason a movie couldn't be produced which wasn't a part of the continuity.  Or they could wait until the BBC is between doctors.

Jack Bauer is not a time traveler from Gallifrey.  The only similarity between the characters is that they're both fictional.  So if they did find another actor to play the character in a movie version, there would be a disconnect.

In 2012, the BBC could very well be between series.

Edit:  I'm not a fan of the idea of Johnny Depp playing the role, but he will bring in American audiences, and maybe those audiences will check out some of the original source material.

Last edited by sMart (2010-07-02 11:30:11)

azathoth wrote:

The last couple of years have been pretty good.  Though I still like the guy with the big scarf (is that him?)

That would be Tom Baker.
Baker was my favorite Dr.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/mobile/288/tom_baker.jpg

Last edited by hellrat (2010-07-02 11:36:27)

hellrat wrote:
azathoth wrote:

That would be Tom Baker.
Baker was my favorite Dr.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ … _baker.jpg

One of my favorites too, but he's too old to play the doctor.  At least according to Macho.  Or maybe not.

I guess Anthony Stewart Head or Hugh Laurie would work.

Too right Tom Baker's too old.
Is this really how you'd imagine the movie to look?
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00454/SNF19WHO1_280_454940a.jpg

I wasn't suggesting Baker play the Dr.
I was just letting Az know who played the Dr. with the long scarf.

I know you weren't ratty but farty smarty brought it up wink

Tom Baker was too old when he played the doctor, much less now.

I think Hugh Laurie would make a fantastic doctor.  lol  And Anthony Stewart Head has geek cred.

Hugh would be the first doctor to save the universe without giving a damn about the people he's saving.  He's much more interested in solving the puzzle.