Topic: Superman Returns Review 10 / 10 Stars

Seems its a movie well worth checking out.

It’s a bird!  It’s a plane!  It’s the best action film/love story of the summer!  “Superman Returns,† superbly directed by Bryan Singer and co-written by Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris, is the soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world’s most beloved super heroes.  What makes it truly stand out is the wonderfully intimate, yet epic tale it tells, set against a backdrop of vast scope and scale, using the latest, most groundbreaking camera and visual effects technology.  The story is at once contemporary, emotional, action-packed, and romantic.  Despite all the cultural, industrial and technological changes that have occurred since Superman made his comic book debut in 1938, then went on to be featured in a newspaper strip which ran for more than three decades, one thing remains constant – his inherent desire to use his special abilities to lead by example and to do good for the world.  His selfless heroics are still inspiring even today.

The story begins five years after Superman (played by talented newcomer Brandon Routh) mysteriously disappears from Earth.  During his absence, he travels to the far reaches of space in search of his past, looking for traces of his family or others like himself.  What he finds, instead, is a radioactive ruin where his home planet of Krypton once stood.  Superman’s long search for his place in the universe ends back at the Kent farm, among the only family he has ever known.  This place, among the flawed but ultimately good people of Earth, is his true home.  He now realizes that his destiny lies in the city of Metropolis where he resumes his cover of Clark Kent, Daily Planet reporter.   Read her entire review here: http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_review … hp?id=2173

Re: Superman Returns Review 10 / 10 Stars

i saw super the opening night it was out and the theatre wasn't full.over all the movie was pretty good,but i did not like cate bosworth as lois lane.It kept my attention for the most of it until my ass went numb because of the seats in the theatre.  the guy who plays sups. did an alright job,i kept thinking that he reminded me of chris reeves and as for lex luther,spacey did an alright job ,could have been a little more hard core.Next time Bryan singer should spent a little more time on the sequel because everybody knows that there will be one because this one was almost a remake of sorts.

bryan singer has said already he wont do a sequel, but we will see smile Good comments Mike.

I liked the fact they used the same music and titles as the original.  The graphics were good, and most of the physics were 'buy-able'. 

Best scene -- death by piano.   That's going to be a classic gag.

I am really not sure if I can bring myself to seeing this in the theater. I have been going back and forth on this problem. I am still mad they didn't cast Tom Welling. But if that didn't bug me enough, there was some documentary put out about all the superman's from the 50- up to this one and they left him out of that one also. If they can include Dean Cain I think they could mention Tom Welling since he is way better at the role then he was.

Something to consider, I don't believe that on Smallville they have ever said the name "Superman", nor were there any tights, ie. super-suit.   So, the documentary was correct.

Last edited by eviljohnmays (2006-07-03 19:14:01)

you are quite right john. The creators also said that was quite deliberate taht tehy did not ever show the suit or use the words superman.

I watched Superman Returns for the first time last night and really did enjoy it. I thought it's better than any of the Christopher Reeves Superman films except for part 2 cause that film rocked with General Zod in it.

But I liked the characters in this new film and wish they would make a sequel to it. I would give this film a 9 out of 10 rating.

Good film. I liked it, but it wasn't what I expected. In comparision, "Batman Begins" is a tighter, better, more action-packed movie. However, Bryan Singer gave it a very surprising, unique vision. Who knew Superman was a lonely guy? It made him more human. I also liked the evocative photography and camera shots. The musical score by John Ottman is sweeping and the movie's tone is very sentimental, which was a nice twist to the usual comic book epic. Superman feels very vulnerable throughout despite his superpowers. The parallels to Jesus Christ are also there, it's unneccesary, but tastefully done. A solid movie, but not great.

Yeah, I watched Superman Returns again last night and I thought whole parallel was unecessary too at the very end.

Batman Begins was awesome film with great action and characters in it.

I would rather shag Kate Bosworth though instead of Katie Holmes.:lol:

Last edited by RIP (2007-06-19 08:34:43)

ok im not trying to ruffle any feathers but outside of the action/fx of superman returns i did not like it. at times it felt like it was recycled story from the 78 Donner superman. lex w/ his realastate, dialog lifted straight from 78. the story just didnt seem fresh to me. but what really bugged me is superman should not be a absentee and or deadbeat dad that is so far away from the charaters roots. if anyone knows the importance of family it would be clark. a cool looking flick but it lacks substance and heart. all imo.