Topic: Horrors that pleasantly surprised you when you had zero expectations

Lately I've been on the kick of renting horrors from my trust Blockbuster on-line for the sake of renting them.  I could give a total shit about them before I pop them into my DVD player.  But once the ending credits role, lately I've found myself not turning some of them off after (30) min. and being pleasantly surprised.

What are some of the horrors that you gave up on before you even watched, but as it turned out you actually felt like it was at least worth the rental fee?

Re: Horrors that pleasantly surprised you when you had zero expectations

The Signal - i judged it based on its cover - i know you shouldnt, but i did anyways, cause im hardcore

turned out to be one of the best indie horror flicks i gots

but i dont really have spare time to waste on any random pieces of shit film - so i gather information from this website - while im killing work time - get paid to catch up on the horror goss

My Super Psycho Sweet Sixteen comes to mind. I thought it was going to be the Twilight of slasher films, but I was wrong. Ended up being a damn good slasher film. Unfortunately it still isn't on DVD yet. Had to buy on itunes roll

ZOMBlE wrote:

The Signal - i judged it based on its cover - i know you shouldnt, but i did anyways, cause im hardcore

turned out to be one of the best indie horror flicks i gots

but i dont really have spare time to waste on any random pieces of shit film - so i gather information from this website - while im killing work time - get paid to catch up on the horror goss

The Signal and My Super Psycho Sweet Sixteen actually have the same director. Jacon Gentry smile

I recently made it through THE CRAZIES.  Basically it is Cabin Fever with a millitary type twist.  Perhaps I made it through it because of Timothy Olyphant.  But I made it through without hitting eject.

The Cottage

a few to come to mind -
End Of The Line
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane
Babysitter Wanted
Last House On The Left remake
My Bloody Valentine remake
The Landlord

i wish the crazies remake had the grimey dark realistic 70s feel the original had

with its up to date gore and eye contact effects

Suspiria_89 wrote:

The Signal and My Super Psycho Sweet Sixteen actually have the same director. Jacon Gentry smile

true? ill have to check out Super Psycho Sweet Sixteen

the signal was done in three parts - by three different writers/directors

David Bruckner    ,    Dan Bush     &   Jacob Gentry

look at Z - all informative and shit.

Signal was a surprise - Dead Birds caught me off guard around that time as well

Blair Witch Project (I had heard so much hate on this film, but I really liked it)

Babysitter Wanted was definitely one that surprised.  Also  a canadian flick called Home Movie, loved that with very little expectations going in.  It's a shame that movie is really unknown in horror circles, especially since it came out before Paranormal activity

Deadhorse -

Been wanting to see Mandy Lane for a long time now.

I really thought it was going to be so predictable, but the film in the end was wonderfully misleading.

I hated mandy lane. 

**** semi spoiler ***

Friggin  romeo and juliet with a few extra dead bodies.

LOL  that's not far off
it wasn't anything spectacularly clever, but it was entertaining enough for what it was.
(plus I find whats-her-face rather fetching - probably helped LOL)

I am yet to check out dead birds - but have heard good news from ghouls i can trust

I know one of the actors in Mandy who played the role of Garth.  Wanted to see his performance.

severed forest of the dead, the zombie on the cover was terribly cgi-ish, i knew i was getting into something bad.... but it turned out to be one of my fave lowbudget zombie flicks

Dead Birds almost feels like a Twilight Zone episode when it commences.  But with healthier dashes of violence.  cool

I so hate to admit this, but I made it through Sorority Row.  But what surprises me is how the whole "I Know What You Did Last Summer" re-vamped "pitch" even gets picked up.  I can imagine the pitch meeting: Think "I Know What You Did Last Summer" but Greek.  Ca-Ching. 

But still, I made it through.  Ha.

throwing stones wrote:

I can imagine the pitch meeting: Think "I Know What You Did Last Summer" but Greek.  Ca-Ching.  .

hahaha! Boomb baby!

ideas man!

throwing stones wrote:

I so hate to admit this, but I made it through Sorority Row.  But what surprises me is how the whole "I Know What You Did Last Summer" re-vamped "pitch" even gets picked up.  I can imagine the pitch meeting: Think "I Know What You Did Last Summer" but Greek.  Ca-Ching. 

But still, I made it through.  Ha.

I like Sorority Row. It's crap, but enjoyable.

Altered, Albino Farm, Night Feeders, and Creep Loved em all

my biggest surprise - would have to be when i downloaded an early leak of PLANET TERROR

i downloaded it because of the title - i thought anything titled planet terror has to have some bad assness in it - it was the best early leak download evers

i watched it about 7 times in the first month of having it

i knew nothing about it - it gave me a massive mang boner for rodriguez