Re: Horrors that pleasantly surprised you when you had zero expectations

I came across a film called Death Bed recently in our local pound shop, i bought it cause it had Stuart Gordon & Charles Band involved but i really thought it would be a pile of shit but it was actually pretty good.:)

Gravedancers - It was like 2 bucks in a lil DVD store so I grabbed it...  surprisingly enjoyable and creepy.

Lilith wrote:

Gravedancers - It was like 2 bucks in a lil DVD store so I grabbed it...  surprisingly enjoyable and creepy.

I loved gravedancers, didn't think it was going to be much so it surprised me how much i liked it. i'm also with zombie on Planet terror, sorry deady i didn't like Mandy lane much eithier.

a haunting in connecticutt , teeth and the ruins are three others that come to mind.

jmh314 wrote:

Babysitter Wanted was definitely one that surprised.  Also  a canadian flick called Home Movie, loved that with very little expectations going in.  It's a shame that movie is really unknown in horror circles, especially since it came out before Paranormal activity

Yeah i bought it off Ebay a few months back for like $5 and it was one of the best buys i've done its pretty creepy and i really enjoyed it too and that means a lot cause i usually hate those hand held camera movies

I also really enjoyed Laid To Rest and i thought it was gonna be horrible

jmh314 wrote:

I hated mandy lane. 

**** semi spoiler ***

Friggin  romeo and juliet with a few extra dead bodies.

Um no. She didn't love him at all!

That movie surprised me a lot as well and I thought it was great!

Mandy Lane was fantastic.

Midnight Movie (2008)
Coming Soon (2008/I)
Tormented (2009)
Fido (2006)
Splinter (2008/I)
Dead Silence (2007)
The Tattooist (2007)
Homecoming (2009)
The Hills Run Red (2009)
The Cottage (2008)
The Gravedancers (2006)
White Noise: The Light (2007)
The Garden (2006)
Fingerprints (2006)

That all i can think of at the moment

Hills run Red - was one that surprised me - was expecting a blood bath

just got a shitty sophie monk acting as a junkie and some baby face killer who didnt kill anyone in a bloodbath?? - it was sad

almost as sad as when I was expecting to be so freaked out by PA i couldnt sleep - never happend

ZOMBlE wrote:

Hills run Red - was one that surprised me - was expecting a blood bath

just got a shitty sophie monk acting as a junkie and some baby face killer who didnt kill anyone in a bloodbath?? - it was sad

almost as sad as when I was expecting to be so freaked out by PA i couldnt sleep - never happend

Sophie Monk? I didn't know she'd ever done a horror movie.

BASSI wrote:

Dead Silence (2007)

Oh dear god no. I found that one painful to watch! Tho it does get points for Ryan Kwanten

I'll give you the Tattooist (2007) though it simply may be owing to my Oceania/Jason Behr biases...

Last edited by Lilith (2010-09-07 06:12:24)

Dead Silence???  They so hyped that up as "Form the same producers that brough you SAW."  I read the script.  It is one of the WORST scripts I've ever read in my life.  How and the HELL did it even get made?  The movie was so inspidly dumb that I'm still begging to get back those two hours I gave up of my life watching it. 

But maybe it wasn't as dumb as you thought it was gonna be and it was only a small heaping pile of shit instead of a ginormous pile.

Lilith wrote:

I thought so too !!!!

also I thought The Cottage was surpisingly good

Lilith wrote:
BASSI wrote:

Dead Silence (2007)

Oh dear god no. I found that one painful to watch! Tho it does get points for Ryan Kwanten

I'll give you the Tattooist (2007) though it simply may be owing to my Oceania/Jason Behr biases...

I liked the movie cause the dolls were really creepy. (one of the dolls  remind me of my sister doll when i was 3 and her  doll used freak me out so much, she used chase me around the house with the headless doll  and then she never ever had doll after that and yet she still blames me for that after 22 years and then i got in horror when i was 6 years old then I scared the hell out of her lol ) and now back to the movie and i really enjoyed the twist at the end of movie, i did not see that coming at all and i like it when the movie shock me like.

The Creature wrote:

Blair Witch Project (I had heard so much hate on this film, but I really liked it)

I really enjoyed it, but had the opposite experience. I missed out on all the hype and hate, so had no expectationsor preconceptions when I watched it; I thought it was and still is a great horror with a fairly unique angle.

Laid to Rest, never got through it the first time then I ended up buying it ina pack with a bunch of other horrors and thought to give it another chance because of all the great reviews on here, and I ended it up liking it a lot. really good slasher, nota  masterpiece, but very entertaining and gory.

Pulse, the american remake. I thought it has a few really creepy moments and although it was very strange and I think unintentionally funny in some parts I thought it was well made and the atmosphere was great. It just wasn't scary, but I liked it a lot more than it seems a lot of people did.

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

Pulse, the american remake. I thought it has a few really creepy moments and although it was very strange and I think unintentionally funny in some parts I thought it was well made and the atmosphere was great. It just wasn't scary, but I liked it a lot more than it seems a lot of people did.

Probably the counter-example to this topic. I had high expectations for this one and it sucked. Well said "unintentionally funny"!

Cornered! Really nice little slasher and some quirky characters.

The signal was terrible.

hmmmm The Last Exorcism probably

Rabid Grannies.
Black Sheep.

Severed: Forest of the Dead
Session 9
Class of Nuke Em High
Bubba Ho-Tep

Jack Brooks Monster Slayer. Thought this was gonna be a kiddie movie and was more than pleasantly surprised with the cast, story and monsters.

^ I liked that on also underdog but I think it was everything that I kinda expected it to be.

I had very low expectations for Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever but after watching Ti West's The House of the Devil I checked it out and ended up loving this gory little romp!