Topic: Poultrygeist: A plea for help

This was posted on Lloyd Kaufman's myspace blog:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea … 93d6bcfff7

Lloyd Kaufman’s CALL TO ACTION! The Troma Team needs your help-So does independent art!

Greetings from Tromaville!

For 32 years, the Troma Team and I've been making our own brand independent films far removed (and happily in that truth may I add) from the Hollywood cookie-cutter system.  Some of our films have been great and some of them have been, well, "Sgt. Kabukiman, NYPD". But what can be said about all of them is that they have been memorable. 

Our newest film, Poultrygeist: Night Of The Chicken Dead is our best film yet! 

And yet I fear it's doomed to failure or worse: to be completely ignored.

You see, for years people have heard me complain that Troma's films (that's right, I said film… 35mm film, damnit!!) have long been shut out of the system… marginalized or just plain dismissed.  Blockbuster won't carry us.  The major theatrical chains won't play us.  The press won't even call us back when we ask them to watch our films!

You might chalk this rant up as just another "Lloyd's roids" type rant, but consider this: Twenty years ago Troma was just one of over thirty truly independent film companies. Ten years ago, Troma was just one of twenty truly independent film companies. Today, Troma is the ONLY truly independent film company left.

Why is Troma that last man standing? Now this is not boasting, quite the opposite in fact… For I feel that we too are not long for this celluloid coil.

Poultrygeist deserves at least the attention that some lesser films (e.g. "Snakes On A Plane") backed by the majors get. A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into making this film (mostly belonging to the dedicated crew who worked for nothing but crappy food and a love of indie cinema) and a lot more bodily fluids will be excreted from my pores if this film goes the way of my last couple. And even though we know this film to be among our best, truthfully there is no way for us to compete (promotion wise) with the majors to prove … At least there is no way that will not cost $50 million.

Much like production of the film itself, we need the help of dedicated, innovated, driven people to volunteer their time and creativity into forming a grass roots marketing campaign, which can raise awareness about this film!

But this is NOT just about Poultrygeist! This is about sending a message, perhaps spawning a movement! If we can wake up the world and show them that there are more choices than what the fast food conglomerates have to offer, we can birth a sort of artistic revolution, where once again the little man can get his art seen by the masses without selling his soul to the masters.

With your help, we might just be able to make Poultrygeist a success.  We might be able to get the press to cover it, or movie theaters to play it.  We might be able to get people to consider it for long enough to realize what a unique and great film it is!

So I get down on my knees, and ask you a favor.  If Troma has ever made you laugh, or smile, or vomit: could you spare the time to consider the following list, any item of which could help us spread the word?

BY ANY (legal that is) MEANS NESCESSARY!!!!

1) If you have a MySpace account, can you make Poultrygeist your friend, and put it in your Top 8 friends?
http://www.myspace.com/poultrygeistmovie
(*Also, list the movie in your favorite films!)

2) Can you watch and vote on the YouTube clips we have up?
The music video is at http://youtube.com/watch?v=q7YFgQetG60
The trailer is at http://youtube.com/watch?v=8VXDbUE3Et8
There's also a leaked clip at http://youtube.com/watch?v=xX7hN_n_DWQ

3) If you have a website or a blog, can you encourage your readers to support the film?  Maybe even repost this letter!
The MySpace link is http://www.myspace.com/poultrygeistmovie
And the YouTube clips are at http://youtube.com/results?search_query … rch=Search

4) Create your own fan sites! We will link them with all of ours!

5) Create your own stickers, stencils and posters and tag the country!!!

6) And if you have any other ideas, or suggestions, of how we can create awareness for this film, let me know at lloyd@troma.com!  I'm new to this web world, and I'd be really grateful for any help!

7) Finally, and this is the most important part...  can you consider forwarding this email to everyone you know?  That would be the biggest help.

Thanks for your support! Poultrygeist was made almost entirely through the efforts of volunteers around the world -- from the food served on set, to the 500 cast members.  I'd hate to let these people down with a great film that no-one sees.

Unless you help get the bird… err word out, the swan song of my 40 year career may be just another zombie chicken musical which no one gives a cluck about.

Thank you for anything you can do!

Yours Tromatically,

xoxo
Lloyd

Re: Poultrygeist: A plea for help

This one looks like sloppy good fun. Spread the word of the bird!

Lloyd's got my support. I like a lot of the Troma films and this one looks like one heck of a fun watch.

i also like llyod and the troma films and i dont want to come off the wrong way but why do they need to beg for sales? I realize they cant get into blockbuster, but who cares, they dont need to have the $50million budget since their film didnt cost that to make. Please feel free to fill me in and again I am not coming down on Troma or Lloyd I am just confused on the point. Are they saying they cant get any sales?

Lloyd Kaufman is histarical.  He's also got my support.  This one looks absolutely hilarious.

I have to pass on this. Troma had a dedicated fan base, and Blockbuster carries so of their catalogue, but even I have to admit they turn out more crap than at least viewable/enjoyable material.

I want to see Poultrygeist, and I will buy it, but I am not going to run around pimping troma films. They are a known name, and they have more $$$ to promote films than I do, especially time.

Lloyd can count on getting my $20 for the DVD, but to pimp the film before I have even seen it is not going to happen. Maybe if troma shaped up their catalogue they wouldn't be in a bind. Honestly out of their entire catalogue most of the films are downright horrible and piss poor.

Troma is near and dear to my heart because of Toxie, but I can't forgive some of the total shit they have released.

i am going to pick it up since it looks great but i gotta agree with DJ. Pimping a film before I have seen it doenst feel right at all. AFTER I have seen it I will be happy to praise it if its bad ass.

I gotta say if DJ can sell his film on his budget I am sure Troma can sell theirs!

Nice insight DJ and you make some very good points. Considering what you have been able to accomplish with the limited resources you have at your disposale, it does make it a little difficult to want to help them.

Troma has several different movies that I like; Toxic Avenger, Nuke'em High, Tromio and Juliet. But there are plenty which are horrid.

Troma has some fantastic films, and like every label have some crap. But considering they have amazon, were featured on G4techtv, etc, etc why is Lloyd so sure nobody will see his movie?

I think Loyd is just trying to keep up the indie label spirit, buy having fans promote the film as opposed to having a traditional hollywood promotion with commericials and such. I agree with most of you with Troma it's hit or miss with thier films but I have to see the film before I can give it any praise or promote it in any way.

yeah agreed hard2kill. the approach just seems odd to me is all. The desperation that i read in it is what makes me get all confused. I am sure DJ would love to have been on G4 and gotten all that great free press. If he thinks hes being ignored he should try being one of the many indie filmmakers on this site who sell their dvds without a problem and have 0 budget.

true, true, there are a lot of people out there making films better then at least half of what troma puts out and not getting half the recognition, like DJ for one.

and to be frank. If DJ begged me to plug his film without seeing it I would also question his logic.

Lloyd Kaufman wrote:

Today, Troma is the ONLY truly independent film company left.

Sorry Llyod I love ya man but I think you are going senile in your old age.. I think the movie looks great but when you constantly make bad movies for the past 10 years its hard to take you seriously anymore.. I mean the classics that we all think of Troma for are all from way back.. Lately they have just not put out a decent product.

well perhaps what Lloyd is trying to say is that he realizes he has done great films and lately the titles have been a bit "weak". and he is  no worried his bad ass new film will get painted with the same brush and ignored.

If I am at Troma I woudl say the best move he could do is get the film into critics hands, to be clear HORROR critics and get some reviews.

No matter what - you gotta love LK's marketing genius. It must be pretty tough to generate interest in a film in todays day in age with no money.

And with piracy being rampant (especially in low budget flicks that can't afford decent copy protection) the 35 + dollar movies must be tough to sell.

He's got my support - I will spread the word. It's the least I can do after the decade + he's been entertaining me with some of the most.....um.....unique films ever.

Long live The Toxic Avenger!!!!!!

Last edited by TacTac (2006-11-15 23:49:50)

Actually its easier nowadays to promote your movie with no money.. The internet has opened up whole new avenues for indie films to get their movies seen.. I'll I have not got one e-mail from Llyod or Troma about their film..

All they gotta do is send out an e-mail to us and we will more than likely post news about it.. Especially if its somebody like Troma..

troma haz my full support, i luv yallz filmz

TiM the Zombie wrote:

Lloyd "creator of the Toxic Avenger" Kaufman is histarical.  He's also got my support.  This one looks absolutely hilarious.

Fixed it for you Tim (might be a downunder inside joke, following a certain TA package's extras for R4).

Troma don't lack for support Downunder, the Ezy have just recently started pumping out DVD releases under the banner "The Troma Collection". At around $23 per movie and packed with extras they are a great buy "Rabid Grannies" will be mine ....

that movie looks good big_smile

i want KFC

Jethro wrote:
TiM the Zombie wrote:

Lloyd "creator of the Toxic Avenger" Kaufman is histarical.  He's also got my support.  This one looks absolutely hilarious.

Fixed it for you Tim (might be a downunder inside joke, following a certain TA package's extras for R4).

Troma don't lack for support Downunder, the Ezy have just recently started pumping out DVD releases under the banner "The Troma Collection". At around $23 per movie and packed with extras they are a great buy "Rabid Grannies" will be mine ....

But you couldn't even correct "hysterical".  tongue

TiM the Zombie wrote:
Jethro wrote:
TiM the Zombie wrote:

But you couldn't even correct "hysterical".  tongue

I'm a horror fan it sort of disgards any possibility of correct spelling wink

I for one have been waiting to see what Kaufman did with Poultrygeist.  Is it a return to earleir form or the final step of the cliff?  I guess only time will tell.

I wish I was able to go to Flashback Horror Weekend here in Chicago cause Lloyd will be there I would love to ask him some questions and post some good info.  Also, with him being there, there is always the possibility of Poultrygeist being screened at the Drive-In at Flashback one night, so I hope I am not gonna miss out on that too!

If I somehow am able to get outo f work and over to the Flashback Weekend festivities, I will do all I can to talk to Lloyd and post some of it. But dont hold your breath...

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-07-07 03:04:22)

There was a fantastic article in the past Fango on "Poultrygeist".  Very informative.  big_smile

jmh314 wrote:

I for one have been waiting to see what Kaufman did with Poultrygeist.  Is it a return to earleir form or the final step of the cliff?  I guess only time will tell.

I wish I was able to go to Flashback Horror Weekend here in Chicago cause Lloyd will be there I would love to ask him some questions and post some good info.  Also, with him being there, there is always the possibility of Poultrygeist being screened at the Drive-In at Flashback one night, so I hope I am not gonna miss out on that too!

If I somehow am able to get outo f work and over to the Flashback Weekend festivities, I will do all I can to talk to Lloyd and post some of it. But dont hold your breath...

if you do make it and can write something up email it to me and we will post it as news for yuh!