Topic: After Wolf: My Senior Project

I haven't been active in the last couple of weeks, mostly because of my Senior Film.  Thought I might share a bit about it here on the site since it's a horror movie and no better place than the Indie Section.

It's a werewolf film in the vein of Aliens, Doomsday, and Outpost; currently in pre-production and plan to shoot in February and go straight into post.  I'll post every so often as things progress; maybe some still when we actually start shooting or get stuff further along in production.

But, this is the reason why I haven't been online and my online time here will be limited for the next couple of months.  Cross my fingers cause I hope the film will be done in time to start the festival circuit in late Spring/early Summer 2011.

Re: After Wolf: My Senior Project

Good luck, hope everything works out well. smile

Thanks, spent the last year hammering out various drafts of the screenplay; currently doing another rewrite based on ideas given by my class in a table read.  Mostly it's going through varying degrees of genre blend: 1st draft was more action, 2nd was more action/horror, 3rd more horror, 4th had a bit more action and the 5th is going back to more horror.  And with each draft, expanding on the story, giving a bit more depth to it.

Trying to strike that balance of story/action/horror has been the most fun and challenging. 

My Prof though suggested I just do it tognue in cheek, complete send-up and B movie like...maybe a musical.  No Fing way, at my school genre films are rare and they're usually played for laughs or try to be very 'art-film school' like.  Me, I want to make a film that feels less like a film school project and more of a proof of concept film.  Make a kick ass, entertaining film.

And of course, give my pretentious 'character has an epiphany' centric peers a kick in the bum. smile

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2010-09-22 23:29:01)

That sounds really cool! Definitely go for more horror, b-movies are good and all but to pull of some serious realistic stuff would be awesome.  Curious what type of film course your doing, i start film school in just under 2 weeks.

That sounds freaking awesome dude! A Werewolf film in the vein of Aliens!! I want this movie!! big_smile I hope things go well dude and all the best!

Best of luck!! Do you plan on showcasing any clips online? I like how your sticking to your guns and going in the direction you feel is right with YOUR project.

pR1m3vil, I attend the Savannah College of Art and Design; for film students, we have Senior 1, 2 and 3 (ten weeks a piece) and so I'm in 1 right now, that's prep, 2 is shoot and 3 is post. 

Deth_Banger; after I put the film to DVD, might sell ya one smile

Underdog, since most festivals don't accept shorts if they're put fully online; I know I'll cut a trailer and post production photographs when they become available.  But I fully intend to send it to every festival that'll accept it and any convention that shows short movies.  Then, hopefully sell it to someplace like iTunes for download.

thegoldensimatar wrote:

pR1m3vil, I attend the Savannah College of Art and Design; for film students, we have Senior 1, 2 and 3 (ten weeks a piece) and so I'm in 1 right now, that's prep, 2 is shoot and 3 is post. 

Underdog, since most festivals don't accept shorts if they're put fully online; I know I'll cut a trailer and post production photographs when they become available.  But I fully intend to send it to every festival that'll accept it and any convention that shows short movies.  Then, hopefully sell it to someplace like iTunes for download.

Your my idol for the day!!

sick buddy good luck with it!

I guess my next update: having a casting call organized by my school's casting office just for my movie on Wednesday morning.  Quite excited.

*plug-plug-plug* For anyone in the Savannah, GA area; SCAD is hosting a full casting call on October 23 at 10am at Adler Hall on 532 Indian St.  Parking is limited at the Hall as a forewarning.

thegoldensimatar wrote:

big_smile Yes dude! Sounds good to me

Update:

Currently in the process of locking in actors and location hunting.

Plan is to shoot on the RED One camera (SCAD demands you take a few certain cinematography classes before you have access, my DP does; unlike quite a few).  I'm also gonna be calling Arri, Panavision, Silicon Imaging about seeing if they're willing to lend one of their digital film-camera packages for the production.  I'm also gonna be contacting RED about a chance to 'field test' their Scarlet camera system.  Chances are I'll get turned out, but nothing like trying.

Got some advice from my producer and placed the film on Indie GoGo:

http://www.indiegogo.com/After-Wolf

Fckn awesome shooting on the red!

Hopefully shoot on the Red, our school only has two for students to use.  My DP has the levels so we're pretty confident as quite a number of others don't.  Our school operates on a case of 'if you've taken the classes, you can use the equipment'; no leeway, so even if a DP has worked with the Red outside of class, if they don't have the levels they cannot use it.  But she has a few alternates (HVX or 5DII) in case we can't grab it. 

Was about to call Red, but remembered I'm on my Dad's cell plan, so need to check with him about calling California without billing him thousands tongue

^ Look up Google Voice.  You can sign up for free and it allows you to make free long distance phone calls and texts anywhere in the US and Canada (as long as your in the US).  I use it all the time, saves me a ton on the phone bill.

Last edited by mdc666 (2010-10-25 16:47:45)

That's fantastic, goldensimitar!! Best of luck to you and your film! smile

Shooting on 7d or 5dii would look good too, im not sure how it would look in festivals but it would look damn good on a big hd screen. I think it might be better actually, for shooting, editing and all around would be allot easier. Either way it will look great

Problem with 7D or 5DII is the fact they're not film digital cameras and they both suffer from rolling shutter; something I don't want at all in the film. 

Post Production not too concerned about Avid 5 can digest Red RAW natively and the Canon cameras export Quicktimes so either way workflow will be smooth.

The film has been cast out of SCAD's Performing Arts Department; confident I have a solid group of actors.

But now, the teaser poster:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs810.snc4/69077_10150315371785565_533945564_15937727_7755557_n.jpg

Cross your fingers for me, tonight is the Great Camera Scramble

Seniors put in their requests for equipment; dunno if we'll learn tonight or later, but I'm gunning for one of the Red One cameras my school has.

Cross your fingers for me.

Sadly no Red (bloody grad student)

But we have the Cinealta F900; downside is I'm gonna have to revise the budget because it shoots on HDCAM tape stock.  Upside, one of the camera professors said he's gonna try and get a pair of hard-drives for the two Cinealtas we have because of the rarity of the Reds.

Well, the quarter has finished.  Yay!

After a very smooth pre-production (only having the lock down locations/dress sets) we've hit a potentially fatal roadblock.  Because of the number of projects shooting during the Winter quarter (about thirty); the school doesn't have enough grip/lights for all of the projects plus the production classes that are going on during the quarter. 

So our first four days (technically three and a half) of production were approved, but the last three days were axed by the Cage/Professors in order to get as many projects before cameras.  Sadly I can see where they're coming from and find my anger tempered a bit because of this.  You think common sense would tell them that if you approved half the shoot; to approve the rest.  Because there's simply no way to shoot this film in a weekend and have it by any good.  Certainly not festival quality material; maybe not even Youtube material.

The only option to shoot this in the winter quarter is to shoot seven days continuous; ie during the school week.  Something the Professors and Cage are trying to encourage students to do with the guarantee that they won't be penalized.  Problem; some of my crew are unable to do this and I've gotten word from SCAD's casting director that my actors (completely from the performing arts department) will not be able to be in the film if shot during the week. 

So I've contacted my professor for next quarter and asked him if he could speak with the Performing Arts department about not penalizing my cast and making an accommodation.  Things like this (suggesting shooting on the weekdays) is one reason why the film department is a bit disliked by Performing Arts and I've worked hard being nice and maintaining a good relation with the Performing Arts department.  And while I did audition at our casting call for alternates (was already cast by this point); I only saw one of about twenty-five people who would be good for any role.

Impossible if I could delay, shoot in Spring and post in Summer; to get that done would mean I'd have to sugar coat and break down the walls of She Who Must Be Appeased aka Mother, who signs on my loans and without her signature; I wouldn't be able to be here. 

Unfortunately to shoot during our original weekends without the school would require going to a local studio and renting their cameras and gear.  Even with student discounts; it'd be around $15,000 or so for the gear for the shoot.  Which is more than double the film's budget.

So the next two/three weeks will determine if the film will go forward either by shooting during seven days in the Winter/delayed and shot in Spring or the whole production has to be shut down. 

Crossing my fingers.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2010-11-19 14:37:11)

Werewolf suit should be completed before the week it out, I got some pictures from the maker; will post one or two once it's reached a more complete stage, and ones that are as non-spoiler as possible.

The suit is done and looking amazing!!!!  Can't wait to post a pair of none-spoiler pics....problem.

dunno how to post pictures from my comp.