Topic: Takashi Miike

Whats the great man up 2 these days? Is there a website anywhere thats dedicated to miike that says what dvds are coming out , news on new films etc. Or do any of you guys have any news? Or any reviews of his new films. Miike is a legend!

Re: Takashi Miike

Not sure what the man is up to.  Probably busy being a legend.

He directed Audition and the great Ichi the Killer film. Ichi the Killer is his best work imho.

Yep.  smile

One of his next upcoming films is called Yatterman.. Its based on an Anime from the 70s.. Not sure about it.. The official website is up but it doesn't have much on there except the official logo..

http://www.yatterman-movie.com/

He also directed The Great Yokai War which was released awhile back.. I'm not sure about the DVD status of that one. He also directed another film 'Sukiyaki Western Django' which is said to have some involvement from Quentin Tarantino.. Official site below:

http://www.django-movie.com/

I also know that awhile back he did a movie based on the Yakuza game for the PS2.. I'm really most excited about that project because Miike has made some great Yakuza films in the past..

The Great Yokai War was well great. it felt like a Miyazaki (Spirited Away,
Princess Mononoke) anime come to life but it was not the standard Miike film, it was more of a family friendly fantasy.
im sure he has something in the works the man makes something like 3 or 4 films a year.

Miike actually does some family friendly films. He did another film awhlie back called Zebraman which was very family friendly as well. Pretty much everything I listed above is what he has on his plate right now..

I have the other thread on here about his film The Happiness of the Katakuri's.  I think it is his most visionary work as it is genre bending and just an all out crazy film.

ha , i saw zebraman the other day, it was pretty cool and weird. You can also tell it's a miike film just from the feeling his films give off, theres not many filmakers that can do that

"Be careful...You could spend all your money in there!" cool

I recently bought a copy of Audition from Best Buy, because I had heard many interesting things about Takashi Miike. I thought it was pretty cool, and it definitely got...unsettling towards the end! yikes I became very interested in Takashi Miike because of his cameo in Hostel, and Eli Roth's raving about him. I don't know how soon I'll check any of his other films out (and I know he's certainly put out a lot of them!), but I suppose one of these days... smile

Yea in my honest opinion he is pretty hit or miss.. Alot of people really like Ichi the Killer but I'm not one of them.. It's just to off the wall or I'm not sure.. It's not a bad film I just think its vastly overrated..