Re: A Serbian Film

Boll is gonna do a film like that you just wait and see!

Re: A Serbian Film

I watched this a week or so ago, and have kinda avoided the conversation, mostly cause i could see both sides, freedom of speech in its truest form is a great thing and i fully support it, BUT to me regardless of what the director was trying to say or do, the movies was just to close to child porn for me to enjoy, quite simple. Up till about 54 min in the movie showed promise, but the following scene killed it, and i know what you are gonna say, porn involves sexual gratification which this movie had none, but there was a scene that was darkly lit but still see able of a blowjob  so that would make it qualify. Overall IMO this movie was made purely for shock value and no political statement, there are more effective ways to do that, like making a movie the masses would actually watch. Oh and fuck Uwe Boll.

Re: A Serbian Film

Doctor_Pepper wrote:

We should get together and make a film where people with tracheotomies get raped by 5 year old transsexuals who are force fed Viagra infused Ovaltine. I'd also like to see people with Down's Syndrome shit on by paraplegic bomb victims from the Middle East wars and Osama Bin Laden is elected president of the US and re-instates slavery. Women who get raped in his society are beheaded after they have their clitoris chewed off by starving children in the Sudan. Come on Horror Movies . Ca.... finance my film, since so many people feel we have the right to see anything. If this were true I could tell Moderators here to fuck off and that I am going to rape their unborn children someday when I cut them open and gut fuck the fetus.

THE REALITY IS..... these things are NOT acceptable, and just because I can say them and have the money to put them on film does not give me the right. It wouldn't make me a visionary, an artist, or individual justifying sick delusions through the illusion of political motive or agenda.

It would just make me a sicko, someone attempting to shock, and get me arrested or kicked off
HM.CA.

Freedom of Speech is an illusion.
The only rights you have are rights someone has given you until they want to take them away.
And any line drawn________________ Can be crossed , ignored, or justified.

All reality is a matter or perspective, and the rights and morals and laws of that reality change from person to person and their differing perspectives.

The best argument by the person with the most power wins. And right now it isn't you or me.

Well said, I agree.

I will say that I'm not against anyone making whatever they want to make. But I don't think this makes a good horror movie. Making a film just to try to shock and see how much sick shit you can cram into 90 minutes will never be what horror movies are about. That's just my opinion, I'm not aginst the gore hounds or anyone who is intersted in seeing this kinda thing but it's certainly not what I'm looking for.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2010-10-24 14:24:24)

Re: A Serbian Film

Yeah, I got Freedom of Speech.  It's right there in the First Amendment.  And the powerful can't take that away no matter how hard they try.

Re: A Serbian Film

I will make my last point about this film, actually not about the film, about the director. 

I'll be the last person to make light of what an individual has had to endure throughout their life.  I don't doubt that this director has seen some atrocities related to war and such.  And true it's a different culture.  I get the rape concept, (who doesn't feel 'raped' at some point - damn I feel raped every time I cash my paycheck and see the governments cut) but this guys angst seems a little immature.  I still think his sole purpose with this film was to get noticed.  I wonder if he was a middle child.  LOL

Re: A Serbian Film

Doctor_Pepper wrote:

We should get together and make a film where people with tracheotomies get raped by 5 year old transsexuals who are force fed Viagra infused Ovaltine. I'd also like to see people with Down's Syndrome shit on by paraplegic bomb victims from the Middle East wars and Osama Bin Laden is elected president of the US and re-instates slavery. Women who get raped in his society are beheaded after they have their clitoris chewed off by starving children in the Sudan. Come on Horror Movies . Ca.... finance my film, since so many people feel we have the right to see anything. If this were true I could tell Moderators here to fuck off and that I am going to rape their unborn children someday when I cut them open and gut fuck the fetus.

THE REALITY IS..... these things are NOT acceptable, and just because I can say them and have the money to put them on film does not give me the right. It wouldn't make me a visionary, an artist, or individual justifying sick delusions through the illusion of political motive or agenda.

It would just make me a sicko, someone attempting to shock, and get me arrested or kicked off HM.CA.

Freedom of Speech is an illusion.
The only rights you have are rights someone has given you until they want to take them away.
And any line drawn________________ Can be crossed , ignored, or justified.

All reality is a matter or perspective, and the rights and morals and laws of that reality change from person to person and their differing perspectives.

The best argument by the person with the most power wins. And right now it isn't you or me.


well said Dr Pepper...

Re: A Serbian Film

Rights are not given to people, they are taken and fought for by people.  That's why we have freedom of speech, press, expression and all the other rights we have.  People fought for those rights, like the right to vote and the ending of segregation.  These rights are not given until people demand them.  And then it is very hard for the powerful to take those rights away unless the people are willing to give them away.  I'm sure there would be plenty of presidents who would love to put an end to free speech and have people stop criticizing them but they can't.  So I completely disagree with the argument that I don't have a freedom that I absolutely do have and everyone should have.

And there is a whole world of difference between freedom of speech (political and artistic expression) and the freedom to call people names on someones privately owned website.  The two have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

Last edited by mdc666 (2010-10-24 14:25:46)

Re: A Serbian Film

your absolutely right mdc, you can say what ever you want...but, certain people also have to right to determan who will or won't hear what you have to say. Just like Dr. Pepper said he can get on the forums (just for example) and say whatever he want's to whomever he wants but in-turn the moderators can delate his post and ban him from posting ever again. The government works the same way, people can say anything they want but the government in turn will censor whatever they want. Don't get me started on the "government", our rights are a joke. Your free to use the rights givin to you as long as you don't step outside the "guidelines".

Re: A Serbian Film

Compared to most countries where they'll throw you in jail or kill you for even saying the slightest thing about those in power, I think I'll take the rights I have anytime.

Now I remember why I don't get into political discussions on message boards, I'd be better off banging my head against the wall. tongue

Re: A Serbian Film

A superb film! I found out about this film through a friend of mine who works on indie Horror films. He was home, from Orlando, visiting family & friends for the holiday's & told me that I needed to watch "A Serbian Film". He briefly described some of the scenes & I, too, like a lot of you & many, chalked it up to being nothing more than a film to shock! Oh, how I was highly mistaken!

I for one felt the acting was tremendous & top-fucking-notch! The cinematography, gorgeous. The score was pulse-pounding & very fitting to both the atmosphere created & the aesthetics. The character development was very good, too. I really felt for Milos & his family. It's not every day I watch a film & give a shit about those involved. The gore was outstanding, but in my opinion, not overly done. The scenes in question were quite disturbing, unsettling & caught me off guard, even though I was privy to one in particular that everyone seems to be talking about. Though, I found the last 20 minutes of the film & the climax to be far more relentless & disturbing than the aforementioned.

It's all subjective & based on opinion though. I do however feel the underlying theme that the director/creator are talking about (i.e. state of Serbia, blah, blah, blah) is total horseshit. I'm sure many here will agree with that statement. I feel this film was created to gain hype, but also to show that there are films, even to us veterans, that are still shocking & can make even the bravest of the brave, when it comes to viewing things that are unconventional & taboo alike, cringe & fully admit when they're disturbed & felt uneasy. This is art, this is nihilism & this is depravity in every sense of the word(s). This is, classic cinema!

I was able to acquire an UNcut version of the film on DVD via eBay. Reason being...

On the 16th of April, I will be hosting a private screening of the film to a number of close friends. I will be cooking three large roasts early in the morning, then baking late into the afternoon. There will be plenty of good food, drink(s) & baked goods to go around. This all starts promptly at 7:30P.M. & is a black tie event. The ladies will wear something dressy too. Around 10:00P.M. everyone (including myself) will make our way into the formal living room/area where I'll toast everyone for being brave enough to make it out & will explain (without spoilers) what to expect from the film. I will then give those who don't feel they should watch it ample time to collect their belongings & graciously leave the house. After which, I will play for everyone in attendance..."A Serbian Film", UNcut, in all its glory!

After the screening, I hope to generate some good discussion/debate amongst those who watched the film & in the process hope I don't lose any friends along the way. I will be sure to post pictures from the event within this thread & share views on the film post-screening. It's sure to be an interesting time, to say the least. 

I've now seen the film a total of four times. With each watch, it's as brutal & difficult to watch as the first go-around. I for one enjoy that & applaud any film that's able to make me uneasy & feel as if I need to take a shower after watching it. My father was a cop for twenty-eight years & did homicide investigation in the latter part of his career. I've always been exposed to brutal realities as a child growing up, well into my adult life. Things were never sugarcoated for me & I chalk my ability to not only watch but enjoy this film up to those formative years where facing reality & putting yourself in the front seat provided a good outlook on life & kept one grounded/aware/alert. I know some of you here have voiced your concerns about the film & stated the director/maker's of the film went too far. I disagree! Had they subjected actual children to the brutality shown I, too would agree with you. To me art is nearly limitless & we create our own realities of heaven & hell. In my opinion the maker's of this film had balls & that's a lot more than I can say for most filmmakers nowadays.

Last edited by jeffghoul (2011-04-05 12:21:41)

Re: A Serbian Film

MistressOf Horror wrote:
Doctor_Pepper wrote:

We should get together and make a film where people with tracheotomies get raped by 5 year old transsexuals who are force fed Viagra infused Ovaltine. I'd also like to see people with Down's Syndrome shit on by paraplegic bomb victims from the Middle East wars and Osama Bin Laden is elected president of the US and re-instates slavery. Women who get raped in his society are beheaded after they have their clitoris chewed off by starving children in the Sudan. Come on Horror Movies . Ca.... finance my film, since so many people feel we have the right to see anything. If this were true I could tell Moderators here to fuck off and that I am going to rape their unborn children someday when I cut them open and gut fuck the fetus.

THE REALITY IS..... these things are NOT acceptable, and just because I can say them and have the money to put them on film does not give me the right. It wouldn't make me a visionary, an artist, or individual justifying sick delusions through the illusion of political motive or agenda.

It would just make me a sicko, someone attempting to shock, and get me arrested or kicked off HM.CA.

Freedom of Speech is an illusion.
The only rights you have are rights someone has given you until they want to take them away.
And any line drawn________________ Can be crossed , ignored, or justified.

All reality is a matter or perspective, and the rights and morals and laws of that reality change from person to person and their differing perspectives.

The best argument by the person with the most power wins. And right now it isn't you or me.


well said Dr Pepper...


I second that, very well said.

Re: A Serbian Film

I'm  late to this one but I just found this thread the other day and had to watch to see if it was as bad as all the post said it was.

While the subject matter is pretty taboo, I've personally had cases when I was a cop that as bad as it may seem weren't far off from some of the things in this movie. I guess in a way Law Enforcement desensitized me to a lot of things. Now I'm not saying that the film didn't disturb me, because it did, I just didn't find it that shocking. That's one of the side effects of being on the "front line". With all that said and done this film was very well done.

As far as the above mentioned free speech posts, I look at it this way.

When local governments (such as the city I live in) are allowed to pass laws such as Public Profanity, which makes it illegal to use phrases or words deemed "profane" just based on someone's opinion. This law (at least here) costs people $250 and a possibility for other charges and a night in jail for just saying what's on your mind regardless of whether you mean it in a threatening way or are just having a casual conversation. When things like this are allowed to happen we as a nation have lost our right to free speech.

Not trying to start another debate, just stating a fact of my area.

Re: A Serbian Film

z3r0c00l wrote:

I'm  late to this one but I just found this thread the other day and had to watch to see if it was as bad as all the post said it was.

While the subject matter is pretty taboo, I've personally had cases when I was a cop that as bad as it may seem weren't far off from some of the things in this movie. I guess in a way Law Enforcement desensitized me to a lot of things. Now I'm not saying that the film didn't disturb me, because it did, I just didn't find it that shocking. That's one of the side effects of being on the "front line". With all that said and done this film was very well done.

As far as the above mentioned free speech posts, I look at it this way.

When local governments (such as the city I live in) are allowed to pass laws such as Public Profanity, which makes it illegal to use phrases or words deemed "profane" just based on someone's opinion. This law (at least here) costs people $250 and a possibility for other charges and a night in jail for just saying what's on your mind regardless of whether you mean it in a threatening way or are just having a casual conversation. When things like this are allowed to happen we as a nation have lost our right to free speech.

Not trying to start another debate, just stating a fact of my area.

Wow...remember Demolition Man? That's crazy man!

Re: A Serbian Film

I read a review on the flick in which the reviewer said it's a film might think you want to watch just to see if you can handle it, but you really don't. lol

I haven't seen it myself and have no interest in it, but I'm not judging its fans.  To each his own and all that jazz.

Re: A Serbian Film

Put it this way- I'm not watching a film just because it has "a really shocking scene."  First off, it a film, it's not real, and 2nd, I've seen some fucked up shit with my own eyes, so blah.  3rd- give me a movie.  If the movie has some crazy shit, fine.

Re: A Serbian Film

^Naw, It's really not that bad.  I watched it and thought, what is the big deal?  There are some disturbing ideas presented, but it is only a movie.  None of it is real, nor is it presented as such.

Re: A Serbian Film

^^
I'm just going off the 'hype' it has generated.  I'm very anti-hype.  And since most of the reviews I've read have focused on the 'disturbing' bits, I have no real idea what the hell to think about the film.  Which really puts it low on my list of films to watch.

For everyone that liked it and/or were shocked by it- no offense.

Re: A Serbian Film

On the freedom of speech issue, I'm all for being able to say what we want etc and I fully accept that a person should be allowed to make whatever movie he or she desires to except of course where people are actually hurt during the production. However, people should also be allowed to make the informed decision whether or not they want to see a film.

I myself decided after researching into the film that I wasn't going to put myself through it. I have watched films that are shocking and contain very taboo issues, but I wont put myself through 90+ minutes of something that I know will upset me deeply. I do not wish to be shocked or repulsed willingly. A Serbian Film I heard about during a debate about the human centipede and whether it was going too far. I looked into it and decided it wasn't for me. I watched a trailer or 2 and could see that the violence and the sexual depravity was not for gratification and could see the film was well made so I doubt the film is crap it's just not for me is all. I doubt many people would say it's on their top 10 films. I like films to entertain me and I feel no entertainment from being shocked, sickened or repulsed. I have my own personal line that I do not cross as I'm sure many people here have.

The director is very bold to challenge the boundaries and why shouldn't he make a statement against the hardship he and his fellow Serbs have had to endure. I see the point he's trying to make with the content of the film.

I'm the horror fans equivalent of a lightweight when it comes to shock. Much prefer a tame slasher movie smile

Re: A Serbian Film

I just stumbled upon it on Blu-Ray in FYE today and picked it up.  Gonna watch it this week.

Re: A Serbian Film

no matter if there's a real message behind it or not, the movie's very ballsy and well done.
For those facts alone I applaud it.

Re: A Serbian Film

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who liked this! My name's Jeff too...hmmmmm...LOL!

Bet the dinner party was fun!

I keep hoping the uncut version will be released but I'm afraid not. BTW if a movie can really get under my skin, leave a lasting impression, kudos! I'm not going to get into any big discussion about it and wish I could find this guys review on youtube, it was really good, but cant seem to locate it. Anyway, to each his own. Rather this then another frigin hollywood remake!



jeffghoul wrote:

A superb film! I found out about this film through a friend of mine who works on indie Horror films. He was home, from Orlando, visiting family & friends for the holiday's & told me that I needed to watch "A Serbian Film". He briefly described some of the scenes & I, too, like a lot of you & many, chalked it up to being nothing more than a film to shock! Oh, how I was highly mistaken!

I for one felt the acting was tremendous & top-fucking-notch! The cinematography, gorgeous. The score was pulse-pounding & very fitting to both the atmosphere created & the aesthetics. The character development was very good, too. I really felt for Milos & his family. It's not every day I watch a film & give a shit about those involved. The gore was outstanding, but in my opinion, not overly done. The scenes in question were quite disturbing, unsettling & caught me off guard, even though I was privy to one in particular that everyone seems to be talking about. Though, I found the last 20 minutes of the film & the climax to be far more relentless & disturbing than the aforementioned.

It's all subjective & based on opinion though. I do however feel the underlying theme that the director/creator are talking about (i.e. state of Serbia, blah, blah, blah) is total horseshit. I'm sure many here will agree with that statement. I feel this film was created to gain hype, but also to show that there are films, even to us veterans, that are still shocking & can make even the bravest of the brave, when it comes to viewing things that are unconventional & taboo alike, cringe & fully admit when they're disturbed & felt uneasy. This is art, this is nihilism & this is depravity in every sense of the word(s). This is, classic cinema!

I was able to acquire an UNcut version of the film on DVD via eBay. Reason being...

On the 16th of April, I will be hosting a private screening of the film to a number of close friends. I will be cooking three large roasts early in the morning, then baking late into the afternoon. There will be plenty of good food, drink(s) & baked goods to go around. This all starts promptly at 7:30P.M. & is a black tie event. The ladies will wear something dressy too. Around 10:00P.M. everyone (including myself) will make our way into the formal living room/area where I'll toast everyone for being brave enough to make it out & will explain (without spoilers) what to expect from the film. I will then give those who don't feel they should watch it ample time to collect their belongings & graciously leave the house. After which, I will play for everyone in attendance..."A Serbian Film", UNcut, in all its glory!

After the screening, I hope to generate some good discussion/debate amongst those who watched the film & in the process hope I don't lose any friends along the way. I will be sure to post pictures from the event within this thread & share views on the film post-screening. It's sure to be an interesting time, to say the least. 

I've now seen the film a total of four times. With each watch, it's as brutal & difficult to watch as the first go-around. I for one enjoy that & applaud any film that's able to make me uneasy & feel as if I need to take a shower after watching it. My father was a cop for twenty-eight years & did homicide investigation in the latter part of his career. I've always been exposed to brutal realities as a child growing up, well into my adult life. Things were never sugarcoated for me & I chalk my ability to not only watch but enjoy this film up to those formative years where facing reality & putting yourself in the front seat provided a good outlook on life & kept one grounded/aware/alert. I know some of you here have voiced your concerns about the film & stated the director/maker's of the film went too far. I disagree! Had they subjected actual children to the brutality shown I, too would agree with you. To me art is nearly limitless & we create our own realities of heaven & hell. In my opinion the maker's of this film had balls & that's a lot more than I can say for most filmmakers nowadays.

Re: A Serbian Film

This film isn't that bad at all. It's just got a pile of hype hovering over it, prbly from the "I'm afraid of myself and society" freaks

Re: A Serbian Film

LOL i feel weird for saying this but after I watched this movie this morning I felt bored and really did not like this movie.  I understand all that was in it with the rape and necrophilia but i just found this movie to be stupid and overall boring.  I did watch the whole thing ( lucky me ) and just feel like i wasted my time in doing so.

Re: A Serbian Film

I found it pretty... dull honestly. It had it's moments, but the filmmakers tried WAY to hard to make it about something more than it was.

My favorite review (from some site) mentioned something along the lines of, "When you see the guy rape a new born baby...", uhm, you do? Power of suggestion, cause you don't see it, it's implied. Not saying I wanted to, but I always find it funny when people convince themselves they saw something they clearly did not see.

Re: A Serbian Film

deadhorse13 wrote:

no matter if there's a real message behind it or not, I love to FAP to this FILM!For that alone I applaud it.

I thought I heard clapping