Topic: A New Friday the 13th Film?

Today I received a heads up about a new project that has been kicked into high gear. Over the summer a young filmmaker Cory Stevens got together a bunch of young actors and decided to make his own Friday the 13th film. His movie was going to be based...

Read More : A New Friday the 13th Film?

Re: A New Friday the 13th Film?

how are they able to make the film without infringing on copyright?

Is it protected under some sort of "fan appreciation" thing? Since they aren't charging for it, hopefully some stupid suit doesn't try to stop it.

I think this is exciting...if more people just had fun doing stuff like this, who knows what might come out of it someday.

agree ghoul.

That looks like it could be pretty fun to watch, nothing like good ol' cheesey horror movie fun. Maybe a more indie style friday the 13th movie is just what is needed instead of a big budget remake from Platinum Dunes.

looks like its going to be good

A group of indie filmmakers having some fun by making a new Friday the 13th film... what could be better?

Meh wrote:

You can make a film on whatever you want.. Shit I could get a loan and make a Freddy VS Jason VS Ash VS Chucy VS Predator VS Leatherface.. (well you get the point) As long as I don't make a penny off the film you can't sue..

I'm fairly excited about this.  I can't wait to watch it.  Maybe this is just what the franchise needs; a kick in the ass by young, hungry film-makers. 

I'm surprised that independent film-makers can actually use copyrighted characters and situations(including a certain classic Blue Oyster Cult music track) even if it is free to the public.  But I'm not complaining.

Yea I'm surprised no one here knew that.. Thats why there are so many fan made movies about Batman and other comic book characters.. They use to screen these movies at the Comic Con in San Diego but soon they had to put a stop to it because people paid to get into the convention..

I first found out about this new fan made Friday the 13th film on Horror Movies.ca's news page a while ago now. I read the news article and straight away I went on the film's website, keeping it in my regular visited websites. I've just finished watching all the trailers there are avaiable, along with the behind the scenes clip. I'm looking forward to this. It's going to be fun, a kind of nostalgia trip back to the Friday the 13ths of the 80s. Comparing this to the teen-marketed, obsessed horror films this is something fresh. Hope people get what I mean. While this isn't totally original it's a breath of fresh air in today's horror film market.

It will definately be an interesting take on the series.

I'm glad that they are doing they're own little film on the Friday the Thirteenth movies.  It should be a fun watch.

Though I read that a new Friday the Thirteenth movie is in the works, one that explains the origins of Jason.  I think I read it at upcominghorrormovies.com  From the sounds of it, the project is supposed to get going sometime this year.

Still, the fan made movie sounds like a lot of fun.

I really think this project will be great. A bunch of fans can make a great movie as long as they really decide to do it. Specially if it's a fan film because you don't need to think a lot about creating the franchise character. Obviously in some films the hard part is looking for someone that looks and acts as the original one. An Evil Dead fan film wouldn't work because finding someone that can fit Bruce Campbell's shoes is impossible.

Congratulations to the guys that decided to do this and are actually finishing it.

vorwald2006 wrote:

Though I read that a new Friday the Thirteenth movie is in the works, one that explains the origins of Jason.  I think I read it at upcominghorrormovies.com  From the sounds of it, the project is supposed to get going sometime this year.

Yea we have been reporting on it as well.. Its a remake coming from Platinum Dunes.. I have no desire really to see that.. This fan made film on the other hand has me intirgued.. I can't wait to check it out..

I gotta admit I'm looking forward to this more than the flippin remake.

A movie from fans who love the original idea more than money it's always gonna be better than something done just for the money.

Strange. The last time I did a Horrormovies.ca forum search for a thread I remember seeing about the Friday the 13th fan film I couldn't find it. I must have scrolled past it because obviously I've just found it as I've posted a new reply in it.

The fan made film has been delayed till this summer I think. I went on the website for the film a few weeks ago at the time the film was supposed to have been put on the web, and it wasn't on there. But there was a change with the release date. "Summer" was now on the film's poster. The last couple of times I've visited the site again the release date was still the same.

I have been meaning to post this but haven't got round to it.

I've been on the website for the Friday the 13th fan film in the last few days, and found that there's now a premiere date - 13th July.

You can now download Friday the 13th: Mother's Day on the official site for the fan made film. You have to click on the red icon towards the bottom of the page which has the teasers and trailers for the film. I thought that was the official site. I bookmarked the page which can be accessed from a past HorrorMovies.ca news article.

I stopped the download shortly after I started it, as I just wanted to see how long it will take. And I thought it would take long, around 55 minutes. But it may be different on other people's computers if they have a different download speed.

Last edited by WaveCrest (2007-07-13 18:43:29)

I'm already downloading. Although I'll probably watch it until sunday.

Its about 300 mb big.. not too bad.. Its gonna take me about 25 minutes to get it..

Goon wrote:
Meh wrote:

You can make a film on whatever you want.. Shit I could get a loan and make a Freddy VS Jason VS Ash VS Chucy VS Predator VS Leatherface.. (well you get the point) As long as I don't make a penny off the film you can't sue..

There's actually a fan flick "Freddy vs Ghostbusters" available on the web, must hunt out the url. Decent enough on a real low budget. The follow up was "Thank God it's Friday the 13th", but haven't seen that one.