Topic: Biggest "hack" director ever?

Who do you feel is the biggest "hack" director ever?

Please note that this isn't intended to spark up another Eli Roth debate.  If you feel that Eli Roth is the biggest "hack" director, that's perfectly fine, just explain why.

So, it begins:

Michael Bay is the biggest "hack" director, by far.  He is dumbing down the American movie-going public with his souless vision of what modern cinema should look like.  It's obviously bad enough that mainstream audiences won't watch black and white films, won't watch films with subtitles or dubbing, but Bay isn't looking for a solution to the problem.  He's teaching us not to focus on an image that's any longer than a third of a second.

And when he isn't on board as a director, his hack-job production team, "Platinum Dunes", is busy destroying classic horror gems, such as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "The Amityville Horror".  So, no matter what part he plays, he's destroying modern cinema, in a sense.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

LOL........

You read my mind Tim on the Roth thingy lol.:lol:

1. Eli Roth - was exited about the film Cabin Fever that is til I saw it and was greatly dissappointed in it. Terrible characters in it and no gore. Hostel was another let down so I gave up on him.

2. Uwe Boll - absolutely horrible director......I mean just look at his shit flicks like: House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, Bloodrayne, etc....

3. David Lynch - I know alot of you out there like him but his films are just too wierd for me and confusing at times. I only liked Twin Peaks and that was it.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

I'm not a big Lynch fan but you have to give him MAD props for The Elephant Man.. I saw that film on AMC one night and it was brilliant.. Hack director he is not.. You just don't like his films.. There is a difference..

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

I don't agree with the assessment that Bay is a hack because he isn't doing anything to get people to want to watch B&W films, or Foreign films.  He shouldn't have to "looking for a solution to the problem" as you say.  If thats the case, then what have any other real big name directors done for this?  Other than one or two maybe having A film in black and white or A film with subtitles, it is not their job to look for solutions to that. That falls on the studios because they ultimately decide what people want to see.  Have you noticed they dont easily back b&w films or foreign films?  So to call Bay a hack cause he isnt looking for a solution is a cop-out because there are hundreds of other directors who arent doing much to fix this either.

And if making films that are fast on action that means you dont have to pay attention for more than "A third a second" or whatever, than by that definition other hacks include John Woo, Antoine Fuqua, and The Wachowski Brothers

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-07-13 13:52:42)

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

I worded that wrong.  He doesn't need to be looking for a solution, you're right about that.  I just feel that the real "artsy" films, the films that should actually be appreciated, are films from all around the world.  Films made 20-30 years ago, back when they didn't use a computer for every goddamn scene.  Because, from what I've seen, all of Bay's films consist of explosions, CGI, and shitty storylines that make no sense.  And for aspiring filmmakers to see that and think "that's what filmmaking is about" is fucking bullshit.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2007-07-13 14:52:56)

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

uwe boll. eli roth im no fan of but he has talent.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

Going to take the heat here .... but ... Speilberg .... didactic BS imho.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

Well there is a reason behind your statement.  You are trying to compare Artsy films to Entertainment films.  Thats like comparing apples to oranges. 

Bay makes movies to entertain your average moviegoers.  A basic storyline, some cheap laughs, and some damn entertaining explosions and action sequences.  And he has been successful doing so.  I mean Transformers made $155 mil in one week.  Pearle Harbor opened to $75mil.  Bad Boys 2 $46mil, Armageddon $36 mil, The Rock $25 mil.  Obviously he is making movies to entertain and get people in the theatres.  They arent thought provokers, and they never will be.  But thats the market for movies like this.  Look at this years box office and tell me how many on top of that list arent your basic films made for pure entertainment and thrills and nothing else.

The artsy films have their place, but people dont want to spend $10 on a movie to try and figure out whats going on or to think.  They want to sit down, be entertained, and get out of there.  And when it comes to that, very few are as successful at it than Michael Bay. I didnt say he was great filmmaker overall, just great at the style he does.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-07-13 15:18:16)

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

You make some good points, jmh314.  I'm just not a fan of Bay's films or films made completely on a computer for that matter.  I still think he is the biggest hack in Hollywood, though, because of his souless movies and arrogant personality.  And, chances are, I will never support something like that.

Jethro - Can't wait to hear that explanation.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

Jethro wrote:

Going to take the heat here .... but ... Speilberg .... didactic BS imho.

I dont know if he is the biggest hack....maybe the most over rated, but not biggest hack.  He does have his name put on a lot of crap as "Executive Producer" these days.  And I dont think he's made a truly good film since Saving Private Ryan

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

David lynch is a legend, i don't know how any 1 can seriously say he's a 'hack' director, i mean come on , he's done the elephant man, twin peaks ( the best show ever imo) fire walk with me, mullholland drive, blue velvet and lost highway amongst others. lynch, like miike kick ass, there weirdness is what makes them great

Last edited by adamroddis (2007-07-13 15:54:35)

12

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

I think Bay has made some decent films and produced films too. He has too much CGI in some of his films but he still has decent actors in them at least.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

That's perfectly fine.  It's just my opinion.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

Tim i agree with you a little bit. Michael bay made some ok films like Pearl harbor and such but i agree that hes a hack I jsut dont like him as my favorite but he still is betetr then the bastards who brought us great films Day fo the dead 2 and creepshow 3

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

I agree with jmh314. I don't think that Bay is killing cinema because it's other kind of movies. I also don't think that any director/producer is destroying cinema because it's the audience who decides which movie to see, this mtv stupid teen generation are the ones destroying cinema. Those and the lame ass parents that want to ban everything so they don't have to explain anything to their kids.

I think of aspiring filmmakers as movie lovers and anyone who dares to call him/herself a filmmaker can't be inspired by entertainment directors/producers like Bay or Spielberg.

I don't know who I'd consider the biggest "hack" director but I know that one of the worst directors EVER is Uwe Boll.

PS: David Lynch rules!

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

Jonathan Liebesman-TCM:the beginning and Darkness Falls....sadly I prefered Darkness Falls

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

hack directors, nah I give everybody a shot and to be honest, enjoy most of what I watch. Now some actors give me fits.....

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

Biggest hack director.  Would be tempted to say Renny Harlin, but the man has just fallen completely since Die Hard 2 and hasn't made a good film since.  Just surprised he keeps getting hired.  Not gonna say Uwe Boll as he is improving as a filmmaker.  Might go with Ulli Lommel for his numerous shitty direct to DVD films.  Michael Bay also comes up, but jmh314 makes some good points...but then again his films (outside of TRANSFORMERS) aren't really that good. 

Hmmm....have to think on this one.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

man uwe boll works my last good nerve like a vice on my nuts.that man should not be allowed near a camera even if it has no film in it.he takes these somewhat successful video games and just hacks them to hell with his "grand view" of what the movie should look like.speilberg im not a great fan of since he didnt kill off the kids in jurassic park (cmon the dinos had a bunch of good chances) but from a moviemaking perspective it could be worse hes at least trying stuff that has become semisuccessful.eli roth is really pushing an envelope with gore but i personally think moviemaking should be touching down on new fields of thought and concepts rather than attempting to "gross out" the audience.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

TiM the Zombie wrote:

You make some good points, jmh314.  I'm just not a fan of Bay's films or films made completely on a computer for that matter.  I still think he is the biggest hack in Hollywood, though, because of his souless movies and arrogant personality.  And, chances are, I will never support something like that.

Jethro - Can't wait to hear that explanation.

Just trying to get a reaction there Tim wink Should have gone with Lucas rather than Speilberg. Figured a lot of people would mention Boll, Wood, or Roth.

imho Speilberg isn't as good a film maker as people think. In every one of his movies he tells the audience how to feel about a character or a situation, rather than trying to tell a story and letting the audience develop their own notions. Speilberg makes big popcorn flicks, nothing wrong with that, but not the "art" some people credit him with.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

Jethro wrote:

Speilberg makes big popcorn flicks, nothing wrong with that, but not the "art" some people credit him with.

Last truly artsy flick he made was Schindlers List.

22

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

I might be booed on this one but I can't stand Michael Moore or any of his films.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

the only mainstream director i have respect 4 is spielberg cos he made my fave film ever which is Jaws.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

thedeadshallrule wrote:

hack directors, nah I give everybody a shot and to be honest, enjoy most of what I watch. Now some actors give me fits.....

I agree. I think its unfair to call someone a hack just because you don't like a certin director's movies. If you don't like it then don't watch it. People have different tastes. if everyone liked the same thing, think how bad the world would suck. I personally like most of michael bays movies. some of them I didn't like but I wouldn't call him a hack because of that.

Re: Biggest "hack" director ever?

jmh314 wrote:
Jethro wrote:

Speilberg makes big popcorn flicks, nothing wrong with that, but not the "art" some people credit him with.

Last truly artsy flick he made was Schindlers List.

I don't agree with that one, Munich was very much an art flick mixed with some film noir and espinanoge.  One of the best films I have seen in recent years.

Mark Steven Johnson is on my list as maybe not so much as a hack as just a bad director.  Daredevil and Ghost Rider sucked.