Re: "The Walking Dead" new TV Series on AMC

I was pretty dissapointed with the 2nd episode...as a huge fan of the comic series since it came out I don't like the addition of all the extra characters and can already tell they are not going to be following what transpires in the comic at all.  I understand there are a lot of viewers out there who have never read the comic but in my opinon the fans made the comic popular enough to warrent a show so that's who they should be representing...they're not...in the least...sigh

Aidan13 wrote:

I was pretty dissapointed with the 2nd episode...as a huge fan of the comic series since it came out I don't like the addition of all the extra characters and can already tell they are not going to be following what transpires in the comic at all.  I understand there are a lot of viewers out there who have never read the comic but in my opinon the fans made the comic popular enough to warrent a show so that's who they should be representing...they're not...in the least...sigh

I agree.  I am getting a little concerned with how far we are straying.  I know I said I was happy with the closeness after the first but now....I'm worried.  It's getting too different for my taste.

I didn't read the grafic novels, but I'm stoked on the TV series!  The horse seen at the end of the first episode was crazy awesome.  Nice shooting on the handcuff key going down the drain.  The tension of the two strolling amid the walkers...

The differences haven't bothered me at all.  I know by now that when either a comic or novel is adapted to the big or small screen there are going to be changes.  Very rarely is there something that is an exact translation of a comic (Sin City being the only one that comes to mind).  It's two different art forms and what works for one doesn't always translate into the other.  If they were following the comic, panel to panel, I think they'd probably be through the 1st trade paperback already in two episodes just about.  Plus I think alot of what they added gave the show more suspense than what the comic had.  And I'm sure a lot of those extra characters are just there to get eaten by zombies in a couple of episodes.

Last edited by mdc666 (2010-11-09 15:53:26)

mdc666 wrote:

The differences haven't bothered me at all.  I know by now that when either a comic or novel is adapted to the big or small screen there are going to be changes.  Very rarely is there something that is an exact translation of a comic (Sin City being the only one that comes to mind).  It's two different art forms and what works for one doesn't always translate into the other.  If they were following the comic, panel to panel, I think they'd probably be through the 1st trade paperback already in two episodes just about.  Plus I think alot of what they added gave the show more suspense than what the comic had.  And I'm sure a lot of those extra characters are just there to get eaten by zombies in a couple of episodes.

Well I don't think either of us expected a panel to panel adaptation.  And of course there have to be adjustments for different mediums.  But you have to be careful otherwise you change the entire arc of the story. 

Besides, I wouldn't have minded speeding through ep 2.  I wanna get to the camp already.  This week's episode really accomplished nothing if you think about it.  It was enjoyable to watch (which is, of course, the most important thing) but the story wasn't propelled at all and that was a little frustrating.

^ Well I thought it was awesome and that's all I give a shit about. tongue

I don't think they're going to change the over all story arc that much, I just think they're expanding on it alot.  Most of the main things from the comic have been left in there, I think they're just throwing alot more zombie action into it than was in the comic.  I'm sure we'll get the drama next week.  I can almost guess how the first season will end, but don't want to get into that without spoiling it.

mdc666 wrote:

^ Well I thought it was awesome and that's all I give a shit about. tongue

What's this?  You want me to bow up atcha? 

(cause I'm tough)
LMAO

I LOVE this show!

Haven't read any of the comics.  While I'd heard of them, once buzz started there was going to be a TV show I figured I'd wait to see if the show was any good before wasting time getting the comics.  As it turns out I love the show, and worry the comics might not be able to live up to it.

So I'll just stick with the show.:lol:

Last edited by LoudLon (2010-11-09 17:58:50)

Yeah, I'm starting to think i'm lucky that i never got a chance to read the comics lol. But you have to figure, if they are going to make a series out of this (and i hear they are confirming a second season already) they are going to have to add stuff to fill in. Your talking 6 episodes that are 45 to 50 minutes each and possible a dozen episodes in season 2.

It is confirmed and so much more wink
http://www.moviesonline.ca/2010/11/amc- … king-dead/

Cap Howdy wrote:

It is confirmed and so much more wink
http://www.moviesonline.ca/2010/11/amc- … king-dead/

yeee-ha !!  big_smile

Yeah, read last night TWD was already approved for a second season and thought, right on.  Haven't seen enough episodes yet to decide if it's going to knock Sons of Anarchy off my "best show on TV" spot yet, but it's definitely a contender.

I agree Lon, although True Blood is my fav. Can't get enough off that Sookie Stackhouse!! big_smile

I haven't read the comics either, but I'm totally sucked in, regardless.  The first episode was great in how it set up the general vibe, but didn't  give up too much too soon.  Being a huge zombie fan, I watched with fine tooth comb firmly in hand and crossed fingers on the other.  I wasn't disappointed, loved the scene with the horse as well!  The FX are top-notch, the zombie in the park was by far my favorite, that was some fantastic work.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2nd episode as well.  I thought the guts scene was so well done, and the idea behind it was really imaginative, and totally made sense too, in my opinion.  So far I really  like what I've seen so far, it's great to know that it's been picked up for a second season already.

I am loving this show! I was squirming in my seat during scene where they hacked the zombie apart. I always have trouble with the gory stuff.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

I did find it a little odd that the little Asian dude was driving that challenger like a pro lol but still just a miner flaw.

And that's not the only thing weird about him. In the beginning of the episode he did quite a race. While Rick was living the tank, in his way to the alley, this dude made a road at least three times longer in less time.

you can watch online $1.99 an episode on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead- … amp;sr=1-9

I know nothin about the comic either... I'm like the other cool percentage freaks that equates to....... the last series I wanted to follow was sinefeld,,, alright this is it bring back a horror genre that is fuckr]]ed sinf thefx are .... means serious zombie kills.
I'm glad I dont know shit how it ends by the comic... its thje ultimate series to follow cfor the bettwer stuff

^^ I read the graphic novels first and want to point out that they're not aimed at a young audience by any means. After reading the first 6 stories or so, I was hooked. Lucky for me one of our libraries carry the condensed books.

I thought episode 2 was very good. big_smile

the second episode was ok but not as good as the first IMO.

I watched ep 2 again earlier today and realized the blond chick was in Silent Hill and The Mist.  I knew she looked familiar, then it hit me today.

No the girl from "The Crazies" was in Silent Hill

I need to shut up untill i see ep 2. lol

You're thinking Radha Mitchell, who starred in Silent Hill.  The chick in The Mist and Walking Dead Ep 2, Laurie Holden, played the lady cop in Silent Hill.

Noinch!

Last edited by LoudLon (2010-11-14 20:28:58)