Topic: Favorite Horror Authors

I love horror movies but sometimes I prefer to read a great horror novel. Who are some of your favorite horror authors?

Mine are Robert McCammon, Richard Matheson, Edward Lee, Stephen King (more of his earlier stuff). Bentley Little. Rick Hautala, John Gideon.

Re: Favorite Horror Authors

Apart from his ending style Steven King, from him though, generally I read one book by a horror author then turn off...David Moody, Richard Matheson (alright, two of hsi stories), I've just forgotten the name I was about to write down as well.

But I love the old stuff, Bram Stoker's factual style, HP Lovecraft's stuff, especially the Cthulhu era.

Short and simple:

Clive Barker

Ha thank you MacReady.. I was about to lay the smack down when I noticed Clive was missing from the discussion.. I don't really read much horror excepth the mainstream stuff so I have to go with Stephen King and Clive Barker..

Probably one of my favorite horror authors is Stephen King. His first novels were truly fantastic.

Oh, and Dean Koontz (even though his writing does become quite a poor version of film noir sometimes), I liked some of Clive Barker's stuff, The Damnation Game and Cabal was good, but for some reason I never got into any of his 1999-now stuff.

May have to delve in again.

Dean you should check out Clive Barkers Books of Blood.. It has some fantastic short stories including Rawhead Rex and The Midnight Meat Train..

Stephen King, Peter Straub (surprised not to see him here Ghost Story was an excellent book) Koji Suzuki, Ambrose Bierce

I havent read a good horror novel in a while.  I'm reading If Chins Could Kill right now which is fabulous.  Uh, I'd have to say Stephen King because in the past I have read almost all of his books.

Stephen King
Richard Matheson
F. Paul Wilson

and I am distressed that these two names aren't here till now:

Edgar Allan Poe
H.P Lovecraft

Stephen King and more recently Brian Keene. Both authors kick major literary ass.

my favorite horror Author is Shaun Hutson (must read all his books)
but also like  James Herbert then Stephen King

I,m reading Poe right now. Now one of my favorites. Have so many don,t know who to chose. Most of my books are Stephen King and Anne Rice. Bram Stoker,s  Dracula and Mary Shelleys Frankenstein are two of the best.

Richard Lyman (Come out tonight)
Edward Lee( Infernal Angel)
Brian Keene (The Rising)
F.Paul Wilson (midnight mass)
Jack Ketchum ( The off Season and Red)
Clive Barker (Books of Blood)
Bently Little (Collection of Shorts, and The Policy)

Are a few of my favs, of course I like King and Koontz but they are in everyone's list.

The Rising was a great novel. So was City of the Dead.

But My favorite author would have to be Mr. King.

I'm really fond of David J. Schow's work. His short stories are terrific and I really enjoyed his column in Fangoria. Also, he wrote the screenplay for Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III which personally loved.

Other authors I enjoy are Skipp & Spector and Clive Barker's early works.

Stepehen King, Ramsey Campbell, Ann Rice and Bram Stokers

Shirley Jackson.  Poppy Z. Brite.  Barker (of course—ever read any of his plays?). Donald E Westlake (his NACKLES is one of my favorite holiday stories.  You can read it online at http://www.uncle-andrew.net/blog/index.php?p=46 ), Skipp and Spector, among the many many. 

I'm with Dean though.  Stephen King can't end a story for the life of him.  Nor can Grant Morrison, but that's a subject for a different thread.

Mirthquake wrote:

Poppy Z. Brite.

I was just reading about Poppy Z. Brite. Are her books worth picking up? The book I am most interested in is Exquisite Corpse.

My experience with her has been short stories, like "Calcutta, Lord of Nerves".  Strong, graphic, and somewhat erotic.  Steamy even. If you pick up Exquisite, let me know.

http://www.poppyzbrite.com/

Stephen King.

stephen king, dean kooontz, and f. paul wilson

Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, and Brian Keene.