Topic: Any other good fantasy films?????

I have been on a fantasy film kick as of late. Other than Pan's Labyrinth, I found two other foreign gems.  One was called The City of Lost Children, and the other was MirrorMask.  They were all great fantasy type films.  Anyone have any other good recommendations in the spirit of these above mentioned films?????

Re: Any other good fantasy films?????

Final fantasy 7: Advent Children. its an amazing movie. Id also suguest Big Fish, which is one of my personal favorites from tim Burton... as a matter of fact, pretty much any Tim Burton is good for fantasy...

if you want an old classic i still love WILLOW. I can also say BIG FISH is a great film. Advent Children I have not seen.

Awww man! How could i forget about Willow. I love that movie along with Big Fish, Pan's Labyrinth, and MirrorMask. But really Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is more of the line of anime or anime. But none the less it is a must own. I love all of Burton's movies: Edward Scissorhands, A Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride.

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-07-15 19:04:18)

BlackDeathDamien wrote:

Awww man! How could i forget about Willow. I love that movie along with Big Fish, Pan's Labyrinth, and MirrorMask.

BDD since you mention both Pan's Labyrinth and MirrorMask, I HIGHLY recommend The City of Lost Children.  It is a film by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marco Caro who previously worked together for Delicatessen. City of Lost Children is probably the best French film I have ever seen.  One of the most visually stunning films too.  It can be a little confusing the first time you watch it, but it is truely amazing.  Go find it. 
Here is a plot synopsis for it:
The evil Krank and his henchmen have been made by a mad scientist. Krank's problem is that he is tormented by his inability to dream. He finds it necessary to try to steal the dreams of children, but since they fear him, he only gets their nightmares. When a circus strongman's little brother is kidnapped, the strongman (One) tracks him down and, with the help of some other eccentric characters, tries to put an end to the evil reign of Krank and his Cyclops army

jmh314 wrote:
BlackDeathDamien wrote:

Awww man! How could i forget about Willow. I love that movie along with Big Fish, Pan's Labyrinth, and MirrorMask.

BDD since you mention both Pan's Labyrinth and MirrorMask, I HIGHLY recommend The City of Lost Children.  It is a film by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marco Caro who previously worked together for Delicatessen. City of Lost Children is probably the best French film I have ever seen.  One of the most visually stunning films too.  It can be a little confusing the first time you watch it, but it is truely amazing.  Go find it. 
Here is a plot synopsis for it:
The evil Krank and his henchmen have been made by a mad scientist. Krank's problem is that he is tormented by his inability to dream. He finds it necessary to try to steal the dreams of children, but since they fear him, he only gets their nightmares. When a circus strongman's little brother is kidnapped, the strongman (One) tracks him down and, with the help of some other eccentric characters, tries to put an end to the evil reign of Krank and his Cyclops army

Thanks man! I'll definitely keep a close eye on The City of Lost Children. I think i might have heard of it and see the box art for it years ago at i think Family Video, but just never seen it. I will definitely look for it and once i do, i'll be picking it up. I do also love watching those different fantasy type movies. Oh yeah how could i forget. Another good but wierd fantasy movie you should check out is called Tideland. Any video store carries the movie and you can also buy it too.

I've heard of Tideland but never saw it.  Thats a Terry Gilliam film right?

Yeah it's a Terry Gilliam film. Here's the description of the movie:

Jeliza-Rose (Ferland) is a young girl in a very unusual situation – both of her parents are junkies and she is usually left to her own devices for entertainment. When her mother dies, her father (Bridges), a rock ‘n roll musician well past his prime, takes her to a remote farm in the country, she escapes the vast loneliness of her new home by retreating into a world that exists only in her mind. Here, fireflies have names, bog-men awaken at dusk, and squirrels talk. And the heads of her four dolls – Mystique, Baby Blonde, Glitter Gal, and Sateen Lips – long since separated from their bodies, keep her company.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pySXc-6GoU[/youtube]

Here is the trailer for "The City of Lost Children" It doesnt tell you a damn thing about the movie, but it shows you the crazy imagery and visuals for this film as well as gives you a look at the assorted group of freaks that are in this film. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYG9cXTSds[/youtube]

ooh, i wanna see that!

ohhh. Dark City is another really good fantasy film.

Nobody mentioned Dark Crystal? Holy shit I love this flick.. Its got some of the craziest lookin muppets you'll ever see..

There is also The Neverending Story and Labyrinth.

I just got finished watching Eragon, it was pretty good.
One of my favorites is The Princess Bride.
Time bandits, all of the Sinbad movies, Heavy Metal, Legend, Ladyhawke,
The Sword and the Sorcerer.

Another Terry Gilliam film that is a must see is Brazil.  Also Kafka is interesting.  Both of these are similar in that they deal with Orwellian themes of a Big Brother type of Governement that run and oversee all aspects of a person's life.

skidog wrote:

Another Terry Gilliam film that is a must see is Brazil.  Also Kafka is interesting.  Both of these are similar in that they deal with Orwellian themes of a Big Brother type of Governement that run and oversee all aspects of a person's life.

Got in before me skidog with Brazil

From Downunder

Flight of the Navigator

Heavenly Creatures

Krull hasn't been mentioned.

I also love Clash of the Titans.

Last edited by DrChannard (2007-07-16 15:00:36)

I hated KRULL, but am extremely partial toward JACK THE GIANT KILLER (not SLAYER) and 7 FACES OF DR. LAO.

Beasts of the Southern Wild
Game of Thrones
Beastmaster
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Red Sonja

^^^
Red Sonja KICKS ASS!!!

Dungeon & Dragons series
How To Train Your Dragon
Sorcerer's Apprentice

And of course Lords Of The Rings although I personally consider it Horror, sue me. lol

I wonder if the OP has been waiting all these years for someone to mention just the right movie to prompt him to see it?  smile

Let me second two mentioned above-BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD and LABYRITH.

Conan The Barbarian (1982) is quite probably the best film ever made.
The best animated film of all time though is Flight of Dragons.

jmh314 wrote:

I've heard of Tideland but never saw it.  Thats a Terry Gilliam film right?

It's good, not one of Gilliam's best and hardly fantasy, but like all Gilliam films there is a bit of whimsy. It's pretty dark though.

One's name so far that rocked:
The Princess Bride
Willow
Sinbad: The Golden Voyage
The Fellowship of the Ring
Heavy Metal

The good:
The rest of The Lord of the Rings
The rest of Harryhausen's Sinbad
Mirrormask
Red Sonja
The Neverending Story
Labyrinth
Ladyhawke
Dark Crystal
Time Bandits
Krull
Harryhausen's Clash of the Titans
Beastmaster
Sword and the Sorceror

The not so good:
Legend
Dungeons & Dragons

There's a few I haven't seen or don't consider fantasy, Dark City and Brazil for example, and so they weren't included.

If you like cartoons, check out the original animated The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Return of the King. The Hobbit and Return are Rankin and Bass and TLotR is done by Ralph Bakshi. For more amazing Bakshi animation, even better than TLotR, check out Fire & Ice as well as Wizards.

One more rockin flick:
Jason and the Argonauts

Other good ones:
Conan the Destroyer
Conan the Barbarian (2011)
Dragonslayer
Immortals

Last edited by Theli (2014-04-14 00:28:59)

How could Dungeon And Dragons be not good is beyond me...

Both are badass...

http://www.thatfilmguy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Dungeons-and-Dragons.jpg