Re: Retro Rewatch Pleasant Discoveries

I recently mentioned I was looking for the uncut version in the Last Horror Movie You Watched thread, and someone burst my bubble and said even uncut it wasn't great.  But being a fan of the movie, even in the heavily edited soft R form, I still want to see it uncut.

This flick gets way too much flack, man.  It's a lot better than most of the other slasher-revival-boom flicks of the late 90s/early 00s.

totally agree.  You have me wondering which version I've seen - I've got a VHS dupe of it from the 90s - I think it's the director's cut, but not sure

The flick went to the censor board five times, man.  Very few flicks get that kind of a trimming, so I'm very eager to see how graphic it gets.

I do know a bit that was cut from the version I have involved the killer (won't say who so as not to spoil it for others) has its hand shot off, but you only see the after effect.  You can tell in the cut version where they snipped that bit and enlarged a few frames of the killer's facial reaction to cover the actual bloodletting.  So what you see is the killer grab a kid's head, a bunch of gunshots, the killer going "Ugh!" and next thing you know, the kid's five feet away with the killer's disembodied hand still gripping the kid's head.  So if you have the version where it actually shows it, you've got the uncut version.

interesting.  I'll have to give it a looksy then

Lurkers - not a bad little flick from the 80's
7/10
Pretty entertaining, sometimes just a little creepy

LoudLon wrote:

I recently mentioned I was looking for the uncut version in the Last Horror Movie You Watched thread, and someone burst my bubble and said even uncut it wasn't great.  But being a fan of the movie, even in the heavily edited soft R form, I still want to see it uncut.

This flick gets way too much flack, man.  It's a lot better than most of the other slasher-revival-boom flicks of the late 90s/early 00s.

I havn't seen this in a LONG time! I remember it being funny, i think, if I'm not mistaken i watched the premire on USA way back...hell i always thought it was a USA original movie lol

Tales From The Crypt (1972)

The Sentinel (1977) Christapher Walken has a small part and I was also suprised to see Jeff Goldblum at the very beggining as a photographer and never seen him in it again..

Not to mention Olivia D'Angelo as the crotch-rubbing lesbo nymph.  Great movie; very underrated, and the lead chick is totally retro-70s HOT.

Last edited by LoudLon (2010-12-02 15:38:34)

ChainSaW80 wrote:

The Sentinel (1977) Christapher Walken has a small part and I was also suprised to see Jeff Goldblum at the very beggining as a photographer and never seen him in it again..

thats is a great movie !!!

^I totally lied though, Goldblum does show up again at the end and even had like four words of dialouge lol

Yeah, i was supprised at how much i loved it. And yeah, the lead was wayyy freakin sexy! But Then again i find that usually chicks from the 70's are very sexy for some reason...i think it that natural look, you was less likely to see plastic boobies, lips, ass, etc then.

It just means you were born sometime before 1985.  For some reason, the younger generation doesn't seem to have much appreciation for women who don't come stocked with botox or silicon.

^Yep, 1980

watchin Highway to Hell (1991) and was very suprised to see Ben Stiller as a cook In a donut shop. Also Lita Ford makes an appearance as well as Gilbert Gottfried as non other than Hitler.

The House Of The Devil.

Came out in 2009 but it definitely has that retro feel to it.

Not horror related, but right now I'm watching Saving Private Ryan on TNT and just noticed Ryan Hurst in a bit part as a soldier deafened by a bomb trying to tell Tom Hanks where Private Ryan is.  Thought it was cool, because currently Hurst stars on Sons of Anarchy as Opie, one of my favorite characters on the show.

Also saw Nathan Fillion in a bit role as another soldier in the flick.  Fillion, of course, is better known now as the star of Jame's Gunn's Slither.

I just watched Waxwork II from 92' and i thought it was cool to see Bruce Campbell in it as well as David Carradine!

Watched Hell Night for the first time a couple nights ago and recognized the male lead, played by Peter Barton, as the same guy whose face Jason crushes in the shower in Friday the 13th Part IV.

Granted it's not like finding gold, but I thought it was cool anyway.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-02-01 15:46:34)

I watched Night of the Demons 2 (1994) and noticed Christine Taylor, also known as Ben Stillers wife, also known as Marsha Brady.

Return to Horror High - George Clooney
Nightmare on Elm St 3 - Patricia Arquette
Nightmare on Elm St - Johnny Depp
Texas Chainsaw 4 - Renee Zellweger
Friday 13th - Kevin Bacon
Friday 13th 4 - Corey Feldman, Crispin Glover
Phenomena - Jennifer Connely

I was watching the slasher flick To All A Good Night yesterday and noticed that David Hess directed it.

MistressOf Horror wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

thats is a great movie !!!

outstanding film

Not really a retro rewatch, but a pleasant surprise: the latest episode of Justified featured a state trooper character played by the same guy whose character received the serial killer's legs in Body Parts.

Thought that was kind of cool.

just saw some real horror. Dee Wallace Stone doing a osteoporosis medicine commercial.  our scream queens are not supposed to get old, just us.

The Legend of Hell House (1973). . I watched it at the theater when it came out and rediscovered it at the library a few mos ago. Not quite as creepy as when I was a kid, but still a fun retro movie.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-02-12 15:29:34)

I watched House recently with the Greatest American Hero in it.