Topic: Director Alexandre Aja

I'm a big fan of Piranha 3D and The Hills Have Eyes. Maybe my favorite element of Alexander Aja's filmmaking, which is prominent in both of these 2 films - the cinematography is awesome.  Looking forward to seeing what more Aja can create, especially with the kind of 3D technology he used in Piranha. I know a lot of people seem to hate on excessive use of 3D, but if it can be used effectively, I'm a huge supporter. And just as a general comment, I think Horror film is the perfect subject for the use of 3D camera work. 

Anyways… I came across this article at Arrow in the Head about Alexander Aja. I have not seen what the article calls his best film, i.e. "Haute Tension." Anyone who has seen it, care to comment?

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=25909

And also your added enjoyment… The Piranha 3D, Red Band Trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiAHzt-SAHY

Last edited by BloodyMeatball (2011-01-24 13:18:21)

Re: Director Alexandre Aja

If you do a search of the forums here, there are probably a couple of threads on High Tension (Haute Tension).  But I will warn you that they will be filled with Spoilers, so if you don't want to ruin the surprise, be careful what you read.
It seems to be one of those movies that people either like or they really dis-like, with the sticking point being the ending.  Myself, I did not get too caught up in the issues with the ending so it did not bother me, and overall, I liked the movie, not as much as say Martyrs or Inside, but I still found it to be brutal and very well done.

High Tension is still my favorite film of his...supposedly his next project is going to be some big sci-fi movie...not horror at all...

I like Aja as well but I didn't dig Piranha like you did.. Could be that I missed it in 3D at the theaters.. I know that was a big aspect of the film that just does not come through at home but still in 2D that film fell very flat for me. High Tension I think was his best film followed by The Hills Have Eyes..

I agree with High Tension being a film you like or dislike. Doesn't really seem to be a middle ground for it. I hated it the first time I watched it, but I liked the gore, so I watched it again and really like it after that and now, it's one of my favourite movies of the past decade.

Never heard of him.

mdc666 wrote:

Never heard of him.

Really?!  Check out High Tension...awesome

Haute Tension and The Hills Have Eyes both have a lot of commendable qualities, but I do have some issues with the storytelling in both.
Mirrors I consider to be completely ridiculous, although it's pretty to look at times.
Piranha is the first film of his I find no real issues with.
I think the guy definitely has some skill and I admire his penchant for brutality - I'll be interested to see what he comes up with next.

I like all the guy has done even if half his movies are remakes (if you consider Piranha a remake). I liked Mirrors also, it was a little slow at times but still it's not bad.

Im not sure how I felt about Mirrors...I didnt hate it

I like Aja's work, for the most part -- though I haven't yet and probably never will bother with Piranha 3D.

I loved Haute Tension.  When it came out, it brought with it what genre films in general had been lacking for a long time -- honest jolts and hardcore violence.  The 90s spawned what I believed to be the end of the horror film with balls; Haute Tension brought it kicking and screaming back to the fore.

Aja's remake of The Hills Have Eyes is, to me, better than the Wes Craven original, of which I've always been a fan.  Not because it's a bit more polished, a bit more stylish -- but because it was brutal, and unapologetic in its exploitation. 

That's the problem with a lot of horror movies these days; they don't go all out.  They try to be tastefully horrific, which is an oxymoron if ever there was one.  Be it with gore, violence or subject matter, horror films by definition should go for the throat, which is what these two Aja films do.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-01-15 01:41:58)

I liked High tension but never realisded he did the perona remake. Im not interested in parrana at all but Hight Tension was OK
I also saw his remake of The Hills Have Eyes and the was pretty good not great but it was there

yeah Lonny they dont go all out and when they do its only in their own mind and it's knowwhere out there in reality of freak us out... well except for this little indy canadian film called Subconscious Cruelty. Now I say watch this film, its not your normal movie but it gets its point accross

Haute Tension was a brilliant film!!!!!!!!

no doubt garden...... I keep my promise I wont tell them whats buried in your garden but your a married amn now SO hows it?

Being married is one of the best things to happen to me.  Makes me feel more mature when I'm in conversations AND it's my scapegoat, lol.  I can get out of any uncomfortable situation by saying "my wife will kick your ass".  How have you been, Demon?

Mirrors, Haute Tension! The Hills Have Eyes!! Piranha 3D!!!! I love this guy.