Topic: Kevin Smith on the release of his first horror film, Red State

Despite the fact that he's a self-described "Fat, masturbating stoner" I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith.  Yeah, he's lewd, crude, and spends way too much time talking about having to lift his stomach flap to find his wiener.  But as a filmmaker, the guy's got moxie. 

Don't believe me?  Check out the following article, in which he discusses his release plans for his very first genre effort, Red State:

http://www.earthsmightiest.com/fansites … ws/?a=7725

Re: Kevin Smith on the release of his first horror film, Red State

Incidentally, reviews are already coming in following the Sundance screening of the Red State.  I've read two of them; the first is equally a smear job on Smith as a filmmaker in general, and a number of insults flung at the film itself.

The second heaps praise upon the film and credits Smith's film as a genuinely frightening, but sometimes funny, horror film with a stand out performances by Michael Parks and John Goodman.

So, judging from the two, Red State's likely going to be one of the "love it or hate it" films. 

Personally, I'm very much looking forward to it.  I appreciate a filmmaker who's not afraid to call people out on their bullshit -- particularly the heavy hitters known as Church and State.

the first Red State review from Sundance was none too kind, but a few have been better
and Smith is declaring retiring from direction after his next film to focus on "new talent"

edit: said the skinny masturbating stoner LOL

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-01-24 19:24:21)

In regards to some of the bad press I have a feeling this is going to be one of those movies that a lot of people are going to make an opinion on before actually watching. Personally I am looking forward to it.

I am too - I'm a big Kevin Smith fan - it will be interesting how he blends his "talkies" into the horror genre.  The first review said that it failed to deliver much suspense due to so much dialogue.  I'll of course want to judge for myself  smile

What I find most interesting about the article is that, basically, Smith intends to four wall this film.  It's nothing new; the same tactic was used to distribute cheap B flicks as far back as the thirties, and Charles Pierce four walled almost all of his 70s flicks and met with financial success. 

But I completely agree with Smith when he says these days, it's all about advertising.  It's not bad enough your favorite 1 hour TV show is actually only 2/3 show, 1/3 advertising.  Now you can't even go online to your favorite website without being slammed by advertising banners or "words from our official sponsor."  Fuck, half the time you accidentally roll your mouse over a highlighted word and a MASSIVE ADVERTISEMENT ENVELOPES YOUR SCREEN.

Anyone even remotely interested in the film industry knows it's business first, art second.  If a studio is going to pump millions of dollars into producing and releasing a film they're damn well going to want to make a profit on it.  But it's beyond ridiculous now, the lengths studios will go to to pimp their product, or to "laterally integrate" other sponsored product with their own.

I like filmmakers like Smith who, as he says, just wants to tell a fuckin' story.

Me, I just want to fuckin' watch it -- preferably without having to sit through half an hour of chipper voices and dancing Reese's Pieces telling me to hit the snack bar for a ten dollar cup of Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-01-24 20:05:24)

The first two reviews I've read haven't exactly made it sound as great as I was hoping so I'll be lowering my expectations a notch or two.  But I'll still be seeing it since I dig everything Smith has done besides Cop Out which I thought was a pretty terrible piece of shit

And I don't think Smith will be reinventing the Hollywood system with his self distribution deal.  The movie was made on the cheap so it'll be easy for him to make a nice little profit off it.  His movies don't do big bank but for what he paid to film it I'm sure it'll be a nice return.  Plus dudes got a built in fan base who'll watch anything he does, most filmmakers don't have the cult following he does.

And as for retirement, we should all know by now when a celebrity retires it means a two or three year hiatus.  Then he'll be back with Clerks 3.

Last edited by mdc666 (2011-01-24 21:07:47)

Honestly, i'm looking forward to seeing this more than any other film I've heard of coming out this year.

I'm a fan of Smith's comedy, it's raunchy and he's not affraid to show his opinions on alot of issues through his films. So I think he is he perfect canidate to make a horror flick, especially on the particular subject matter.

No matter how many bad reviews I read, I'm still looking forwards to seeing this.

Same here.  I'm interested most because what you're getting is a horror film from a person who's never done one before so you're going to get a different perspective on the genre.

You don't get that a lot in these days of uninspired sequels, remakes and reboots.

Kevin Smith is a man that for 15 years, I have admired.  I was there when Clerks was kicking ass and all the Jersey movies came after....I was there when he made Jersey Girl and then was there when Clerks 2 and Zack and Miri gave him a comeback....I will follow him to the ends of the earth and beyond, Red State is gonna rock!!!!

^ I think its going to too!

Red State (along with Scream 4) is one of the new horror films I'm most excited about watching. So bring on Kevin Smith's Red State! Really looking forward to see how this one turns out.

Kevin Smith is genius! < too much? But no in all seriousness I think he is a director who can really push the envelope and yet at the same time he is able to be very subtle and clever in his approach. Long been a fan of his films and he has not disappointed me yet.

Got to admit I love the fact he just likes doing movies for the story and since he has never delved deeply into the horror genre, it will be an interesting watch. Bad reviews or not, this a movie firmly on my 'to watch' list and personally I think Smith could pull it off.