Re: Found Footage Films

pR1m3vil wrote:

I enjoy these types of movies too. Cloverfield and Blair Witch are my favs.

Ditto.

Oh and Quarantine.

I'm kinda on the fence when it comes to these types of films. Probably because they are so hit and miss for me. But, I havnt seen Blair Witch Project for at least eight or nine years but I will never forget the effect it had on me, it freaked me the hell out! Of-course I knew nothing about it the first time I seen it. Cloverfield I freakin loved. Not sure why so many didn't care for it. It's fast paced action from start to finish. [Rec] was good to, have yet to see the sequel. Those are my three favorites. But gotta give some love to The Poughkeepsie Tapes too, it was very realistic and creepy!

Cloverfield I freakin loved. Not sure why so many didn't care for it

It felt to me just like a series of 'cool' images of destruction and little else.

The characters (and the dialogue) are extremely shallow and if you really think about it, the premise itself is pretty weak.
You have a Godzilla-type creature destroying buildings and bowling with the head of the Statue of Liberty - but hey - why not we all roam the streets and risk our lives to help our kind-of-a-dickhead-friend try to rescue a girl who no one even has any reason to believe is even around anymore.
At least it had that downer ending or I woulda been pissed. LOL

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-01-26 23:48:12)

deadhorse13 wrote:

Cloverfield I freakin loved. Not sure why so many didn't care for it

It felt to me just like a series of 'cool' images of destruction and little else.

The characters (and the dialogue) are extremely shallow and if you really think about it, the premise itself is pretty weak.
You have a Godzilla-type creature destroying buildings and bowling with the head of the Statue of Liberty - but hey - why not we all roam the streets and risk our lives to help our kind-of-a-dickhead-friend try to rescue a girl who no one even has any reason to believe she's even there anymore.
At least it had that downer ending or I woulda been pissed. LOL

excuse me, but let's not forget that even though it was supposed to be

I guess it delivered for me because that's exactly what I expected from it, above all else I expected this movie to be loaded with action and cool special effects. And I think logic is absent from many horror movies.

unfortunately that is true - I'm not generally real big on action films and the "summer blockbuster" types for that very reason.
If possible I prefer my horror to hinge around some interesting characters or story (preferably both).  I didn't think it was awful, just a little "vacant"

I wasn't too fond of Cloverfield, but I am not a fan of any large lizard or creature stomping around cities smile

I enjoyed the action and effects, but the storyline bugged me. I just felt it could have gone further with better characters

Last edited by MistressOf Horror (2011-01-27 00:03:35)

to say the least, something about that lead - I just couldn't bring myself to like anything about him - or really the others, either.  I really didn't care if they survived or not, in that type of film I've got to be rooting for someone other than the monster LOL

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-01-27 00:05:26)

It was mind blowing to see in the cinema and really suspenseful I thought because you couldn't even see what was causing it.

deadhorse13 wrote:

Cannibal Holocaust never gets enough credit for really planting the seeds of these types of films

Gotta disagree with you on that one, Ho'.  I think Snuff beat it by a few years.  Though I'll grant Cannibal Holocaust was a very influential movie (if not, IMO, a very good one lol )

My favorite would be The Blair Witch Project.  I know there'd been "found footage" movies before but none of them really had an impact on me like Blair Witch did.  It's still one of my favorite horror films of the last twenty years.  I think it works in every way a horror film should work in terms of suspense, dread and the mining of universal fears for some truly effective scares.

I liked Quarantine (haven't seen [REC] or its sequel) but didn't love it.  Honestly though, Blair Witch kind of ruined "found footage" movies for me.  I don't see any movies of this type measuring up to the high water mark Blair set for me.

And while I'm in the majority when it comes to Man Bites Dog (I'm a big fan), I'm in the minority when it comes to Cloverfield (which I absolutely could not stand).

Snuff's ad campaign implied it was found footage of course, but if you've seen the film you know aside from the film crew involved in the last reel of killing in the "plot" (lol), it doesn't even concern itself with the idea, unlike Holocaust

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-01-27 09:19:12)

LoudLon wrote:

My favorite would be The Blair Witch Project.  I know there'd been "found footage" movies before but none of them really had an impact on me like Blair Witch did.  It's still one of my favorite horror films of the last twenty years.  I think it works in every way a horror film should work in terms of suspense, dread and the mining of universal fears for some truly effective scares.

I see here that we diverge again, Lonnie.  smile  While I appreciate the efforts that went into the viral campaign that was Blair Witch (something they did pioneer quite well), I never thought the film itself was that scary.  It's not that I can't be disturbed by my imagination.  Anyone who knows me also knows that I keep myself awake more than any film ever could.  LOL  I just didn't care for two of the three characters so I wasn't invested.  I was excited to see it in the theater but that proved too crowded to provide the necessary atmosphere.  So I saw it again (several more times) in the comfort of my home.  I will admit it was better but still not "all that."  I honestly have more fun with Part 2.  Do with that what you will.  lol wink

I honestly have more fun with Part 2

me too!  I think I've mentioned that before around here (and to you, Maven, for sure)
the characters are more fun, there's more story to follow and it has a really kick ass soundtrack
(helps I was hot for the goth chick,too LOL)

Yeah she was hot.  I quote her all the time, "keep your mother-fuckin' change."  big_smile

Mave -- opinions on Blair Witch vary so wildly from one extreme to another that I have a hard time giving anyone a...well...hard time, for not agreeing with me on it.  Consider Blair Witch neutral ground, baby girl.  Like the celluloid version of Switzerland, only sans wooden shoes.  Can't comment on Blair 2, though.  Never bothered with it, though I have heard it's better than one might expect.

Horse -- yeah, I know the found footage thing was tacked on after the film had already been shot by the opportunistic filmmakers (who were husband and wife, if I remember correctly) looking to cash in on the then-notorious snuff movie scandals.  But the media frenzy its false advertisement stirred up put Blair Witch's media blitz to shame.  Trickery, yes, but credit must go to the filmmakers for that dubious stroke of genius -- some twenty years before Blair Witch and half a decade before Cannibal Holocaust.  Mind you I'm not praising the movie; I've seen it, it's junk.  But you gotta give the devil his due.

Just can't pick a fight with you, can I? 

Hmmm.  Mutual respect must be a bitch for warmongers.  tongue

Oh well, to each his own.  I love Cloverfield and BWP, in fact I am a sucker for most of these movies.  I just like the style.  But some are definitely better than others.  As much as I wanted to like it, I just couldn't get into Meadowoods because I hated the female lead.  And while I appreciate its significance, I am not a huge fan of Cannibal Holocaust either.  I did not find it shocking or particularly realistic.  That scene where the body is hacked in two is laughable, reminding me of the issue we had as kids in trying to keep the lower half of our halloween dummy attached to the upper half.  It always stretched in the middle and looked hokey.  And the the characters were really more annoying than they were despicable.  Dumb-asses deserved to get eaten!

That scene where the body is hacked in two is laughable

I watched Emanuelle And The Last Cannibals over the weekend - there's a scene in it where a man's body is tied to two poles and it's torn in half by rope - you don't even see the rope piercing his skin, but we do get a quick cutaway shot of his upper half afterward, which is an obvious photograph on acetate fixed between the two poles and devoid of any blood or gore.  Hilariously bad.

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-01-27 13:46:12)

I love the style as well.  I adore Cloverfield.  BW is the exception for me.

^That scene is great Bill, it is like you know what is going to happen so you sit and wait patiently to see the grue then nothing, just the top half hanging there.  lol

It is funny how sometimes just one little thing can ruin a film for you, inspite of everything else that it could have going for it.

deadhorse13 wrote:

to say the least, something about that lead - I just couldn't bring myself to like anything about him - or really the others, either.  I really didn't care if they survived or not, in that type of film I've got to be rooting for someone other than the monster LOL

I can dig that. Honestly, i thought for sure that cloverfield would never live up to all the hype and media it was getting before its release (if you was hangin around this site prior to its release you know what i mean). All the so called pictures of the monster, and the rumors. So truthfully i was suprised myself that i was able to enjoy the movie. But in my time there has not been a whole lot of giant moster movies like all the old Godzilla movies from way back (remember the remake, yuk).

Blair Witch scared me more than any other movie had for years.  Now keep in mind I saw it opening night (I know, almost everyone says that, but I really did), but I also realized it couldn't be true...but there was just a small part of me that thought...could it be?  So a few parts freaked me a bit while I was watchin it, but it really affected me after left.  Rarely does a movie freak me out after I saw it.  I had a little field next to where I lived at the time and there were like 5 trees.  I was convinced the Blair Witch lived there!  smile 

I loved that movie.  I have seen it since and of course it doesn't have the same affect.  One thing that I think sets this movie apart, that I think even people that hate it would agree, is the acting of the locals in the movie.  I thought it was great.  It was part of the reason that small part of my brain believed it may have been true.  Even if it was just for a couple days.

Most people I know hate that movie.  It is refreshing to have found a couple others that like it.

I saw it during the sneak peek before it opened officially and it was so crowded that it detracted from the experience.  I actually enjoyed it more at home.

I will agree wholeheartedly about the townspeople, though. Those scenes were really the only ones I liked.

I have Poughkeepsie Tapes and Man Bites Dogs at home that I need to watch. I also have Death of a Ghosthunter on netflix.ca. I would like to see The Butcher, The Last Broadcast and Home Movies.

my faves are Blair Witch (classic!), REC, Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity, the Fourth Kind and The Last Exorcism.

Last edited by ejaculine (2011-01-28 11:18:59)

The Fourth Kind I really liked. I even thought the "actual" footage was the real thing. I only learned it wasn't because deadhorse mentioned it on the boards.