Re: Found Footage Films

Interesting to think about, what would have happened had 'The Last Broadcast' been released before BWP or 'In Memmorium' before 'Paranormal Activity'?

moviemaven wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

My favorite would be The Blair Witch Project.  I know there'd been "found footage" movies before but none of them really had an impact on me like Blair Witch did.  It's still one of my favorite horror films of the last twenty years.  I think it works in every way a horror film should work in terms of suspense, dread and the mining of universal fears for some truly effective scares.

I see here that we diverge again, Lonnie.  smile  While I appreciate the efforts that went into the viral campaign that was Blair Witch (something they did pioneer quite well), I never thought the film itself was that scary.  It's not that I can't be disturbed by my imagination.  Anyone who knows me also knows that I keep myself awake more than any film ever could.  LOL I just didn't care for two of the three characters so I wasn't invested.  I was excited to see it in the theater but that proved too crowded to provide the necessary atmosphere.  So I saw it again (several more times) in the comfort of my home.  I will admit it was better but still not "all that."  I honestly have more fun with Part 2.  Do with that what you will.  lol wink

That's very much the problem that I had with BWP Maven. Except I found all 3 of the main characters annoying and pretty stupid too. It was just one of those movies that left me asking what I assumed were logical questions about most of the stuff they did. By the end of it I was cheering for their deaths... and even that was a disappointment.

I think BWP lost a lot outside the theater.

But let’s forget all about found footage and viral campaigns. 

Being lost in dark woods, creepy visuals and the idea something was lurking around your camp while you slept, an evil child killing witch with a pretty creepy and bloody back story, disembodied children’s voices coming out of the darkness just faint enough you’re not quite sure what you heard, that’s all good stuff for any movie that’s sole purpose is to provide some jumps and goose bumps and nothing more.

Never heard of In Memmorium before is that movie any good.?

moviemaven wrote:

Just can't pick a fight with you, can I? 

Hmmm.  Mutual respect must be a bitch for warmongers.  tongue

I don't fight with women.  They're physically and emotionally inferior, and that would only make me feel like a bully.  Besides, so long as they don't stray too far from the kitchen or the bedroom and I don't have to hear them drone on and on about shopping and their "feelings," I respect them.
big_smile

swollenguy wrote:

Being lost in dark woods, creepy visuals and the idea something was lurking around your camp while you slept, an evil child killing witch with a pretty creepy and bloody back story, disembodied children’s voices coming out of the darkness just faint enough you’re not quite sure what you heard, that’s all good stuff for any movie that’s sole purpose is to provide some jumps and goose bumps and nothing more.

and THATS why I loved the movie...

one things for sure - best snot scene ever!

I hate goin to the theater cuz I hate watching movies with people.  Especially the annoying person on their phone or laughing at things that are not funny.  Even if there is only a couple other people in the theater, still usually don't like it.

When I saw Blair Witch it was a full house.  No seats open.  Sitting right next to strangers.  I thought it was going to be bad.  It was one of the best experiences I had in a theater.  Everyone shut up and was so into the movie.  Couldn't believe it.

How was that for the most boring post you've ever read (if anyone made it through it) smile ?

When I saw your post i thought it was going to be bad.  But it was actually one of the best experiences I ever had.  I was so into it.  Couldn't believe it.  wink

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-01-28 23:18:12)

Awesome!  I'd go to a movie with you anytime!  big_smile

sure, that's what they all say 'til they discover my popcorn trick

swollenguy wrote:

I saw it in the theater. The only thing BWP lost outside of the theater was the ability to induce motion sickness.

Something lurking while they slept is part of the problem I had. If it was me and I discovered stuff outside my tent I would have started sleeping in shifts with 1 person asleep while the other 2 kept watch. Continually climbing under a thin piece of nylon and all going to sleep like it's some type of magical barrier when you know someone/something has been coming around your camp at night is just stupid. Maybe it's because I camp a lot but watching 3 idiots blunder through the woods lost bickering and acting stupid was just annoying to me not scarey.

Ghostseeker wrote:

I hate goin to the theater cuz I hate watching movies with people.  Especially the annoying person on their phone or laughing at things that are not funny.  Even if there is only a couple other people in the theater, still usually don't like it.

When I saw Blair Witch it was a full house.  No seats open.  Sitting right next to strangers.  I thought it was going to be bad.  It was one of the best experiences I had in a theater.  Everyone shut up and was so into the movie.  Couldn't believe it.

How was that for the most boring post you've ever read (if anyone made it through it) smile ?

I drove an hour and a half to see Paranormal Activity in a midnight showing before it was given a wide release. That is exactly what the audience was like for it. I'm pretty sure the experience with that audience was why I like that movie so much more then a few of the other's that have been listed in this thread. That and the fact that while Micah was cocky and stupid I didn't find him stupid to the point where I hated him.

Should i check out 'The Last Broadcast?
I have never seen it?

Do not see The Collingswood Story or The Haunted house project
(i did not like them at all)

Also Noroi: The Curse (2005) is a really good creepy movie.
if you not already seen it.

Last edited by BASSI (2011-01-29 05:28:17)

bentheprop wrote:

I was cheering for their deaths... and even that was a disappointment.

HAHAHA! 

swollenguy wrote:

IF it works, which it didn't for me. 

Paranormal Activity, on the other hand, was a totally different experience.  It still didn't "scare the shit out of me" but I love the characters.  I don't understand why everyone hates Micah so much.  Sure, he did some douchy things but so does everyone from time to time.  They were extraordinarily realistic as a couple.  I felt like I knew them.  THAT movie I like.

BASSI wrote:

Should i check out 'The Last Broadcast?
I have never seen it?

It is definitely worth checking out, if for nothing else but reference, since it is older than Blair Witch but was released after.

I can't find In Memorium on Amazon >sigh<

so I guess I will have to see if I can watch it online somewhere

good luck with that - it appears IndieFlix streamed it for a short time, but other than that I've had no luck finding it despite my resourcefulness.  drats.

that sucks !  well hopefully one of us here will stumble across it someday and share their findings smile

alien25 wrote:

^That scene is great Bill, it is like you know what is going to happen so you sit and wait patiently to see the grue then nothing, just the top half hanging there.

seeing as you're a fan of the film tongue  I must pimp my review of it fresh from my blog. 
http://coitusandcarnage.blogspot.com/20 … ibals.html
have a larf

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-01-29 19:13:47)

^^  oh what  a delightful review !!!!!!!

"delightful" - I like that review of the review, thanks babe LOL

That was an awesome review Deadhorse!  I can honestly say I did not plan on seeing that movie, but will consider checking it out now.  What band was that playin?

I just watched Lake Mungo.  Well...it was slow like a lot of Found Footage movies are, but it was interesting.  Kinda mixed on it, but won't give anything away.

I have June 9, The Meadowoods and Death of a Ghost Hunter in the instant Queue.  Leaning towards watching June 9 next.

Alien - You got me to bump up The Last Broadcast to my next mailed DVD.  Looking forward to that one.

This In Memorium thing is going to drive me nuts.  I hate it when there is a movie I can't see.  Remember when House of a 1000 Corpses was in limbo for like 3 years?!?!?  I was eagerly awaitin that release.

^Nice review Bill.  I think it sums it up perfectly!  smile

Ghostkeeper, let us know what you think of The Last Broadcast.  And you can still stream In Memorium on Indieflix for $4.95, I haven't tried it yet but may do so soon.

Im watching Lake Mungo tonight