Re: Found Footage Films

Ghostseeker wrote:

Yeah...I got REC coming next, so hope to see that over the weekend.  I know it's supposed to be good, and one of the better found footage films.  I was just late seein it, plus I typically avoid the dubbed movies, with a few exceptions.

I found it helpful to watch the movie twice, first with subtitles then a second time dubbed.  I prefer subtitles because they do not interfere with inflection and sound, but because the action is so intense and fast, it is difficult to keep up with the imagery when you are focused on reading the subtitles.

thats a good point Alien

alien25 wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

Yeah...I got REC coming next, so hope to see that over the weekend.  I know it's supposed to be good, and one of the better found footage films.  I was just late seein it, plus I typically avoid the dubbed movies, with a few exceptions.

I found it helpful to watch the movie twice, first with subtitles then a second time dubbed.  I prefer subtitles because they do not interfere with inflection and sound, but because the action is so intense and fast, it is difficult to keep up with the imagery when you are focused on reading the subtitles.

Good idea Alien.  Hopin it will be here Saturday.

Saw Rec.  Was good.  Actually jumped a couple times which is rare.  Think there were some things done much creepier and better than Quarantine.  Still...have heard people (don't think here) say they hate Quarantine and love Rec.  That I don't get.  Pretty much the same movie, although agree Rec is better.

^Almost a shot for shot remake of the original REC, though there are some significant differences.  The thing that is most annoying is that the Americanized remake was released before most people stateside even had a chance to see the original, which is how hollywood works these days.  Taking someone else's successful movie and making an english version.

the "supernatural" aspect they gave to the contagion's origin easily give [REC] the edge IMO,
but aside from that they are essentially the same film; although Quarantine does attempt a bit more characterization, too.

deadhorse13 wrote:

the "supernatural" aspect they gave to the contagion's origin easily give [REC] the edge IMO,
but aside from that they are essentially the same film; although Quarantine does attempt a bit more characterization, too.

Yeah...good point.  I was watchin it dubbed and wasn't sure if I understood that right or not, then kinda forgot.  At this point I am not sure I do know how that fits in.  Think cuz I saw Quarantine first I had that preconception in my mind.

Alien - There were a couple parts think were done much better and kinda got me even though I knew they were coming.  Then the end, with that thing walking around...that was pretty freaky.  A couple other shots I thought were really good too.  Loved the shot from the top of the stairs. 

I don't see many foreign films.  Seems like Quarantine was holding back in a couple spots where Rec let it go.  For some reason, and I just don't get it, American movies are really afraid to scare people.

There's also

Incident at Loch Ness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=756qS4keqig

And i enjoyed Incident at Lake county aka The McPherson tape. Was pretty intense and was produced before BWP. Watched it one night on TV and loved it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXO1QrDJs6A

Ghostseeker wrote:
deadhorse13 wrote:

Yeah...good point.  I was watchin it dubbed and wasn't sure if I understood that right or not, then kinda forgot.  At this point I am not sure I do know how that fits in.  Think cuz I saw Quarantine first I had that preconception in my mind.

Alien - There were a couple parts think were done much better and kinda got me even though I knew they were coming.  Then the end, with that thing walking around...that was pretty freaky.  A couple other shots I thought were really good too.  Loved the shot from the top of the stairs. 

I don't see many foreign films.  Seems like Quarantine was holding back in a couple spots where Rec let it go.  For some reason, and I just don't get it, American movies are really afraid to scare people.

I totally agree with Deady on the effectiveness of the supernatural aspect of REC, it really sets it apart from Quarantine.  Don't know if you watched the special features on the disk GS, but they show the actor being made up as the thing at the end, which is supposed to be female by the way, and he is pretty damn creepy, even in good lighting.  But I do give Quarantine props for the broken leg scene, that was a nice touch.
As for American remakes of foreign films, it seems to me that something gets lost in translation when they try to mainstream the movie for an American audience, that and the fact that originality and creativity are thrown out the window.  That is why I really like foreign and american independent films.

fmvgamer wrote:

There's also

Incident at Loch Ness

And i enjoyed Incident at Lake county aka The McPherson tape. Was pretty intense and was produced before BWP. Watched it one night on TV and loved it.

The McPherson Tape looks interesting.  I assume there is more than that clip right (might be a dumb question, but not sure)?  Do you know where it is available?

Alien - Yeah, agreed with your last.  Think anytime someone is trying to mainstream a movie, a lot has to be dumbed down.  I don't think it needs to be that way.  Seems like there is a large enough audience interested in good movies.  I want to be scared, and / or shocked by a movie.

Ghostseeker wrote:
fmvgamer wrote:

There's also

Incident at Loch Ness

The McPherson Tape looks interesting.  I assume there is more than that clip right (might be a dumb question, but not sure)?  Do you know where it is available?

Don't believe it was ever released on dvd.

The whole show is available on google video though.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 236650834#

Last edited by fmvgamer (2011-02-09 19:13:21)

Sweet...Thanks!

I wrote about it on the Gacy Thread...but saw Gacy House.  Thought it was awesome.  8 / 10.

Ghostseeker wrote:

I wrote about it on the Gacy Thread...but saw Gacy House.  Thought it was awesome.  8 / 10.

I am glad you liked it smile

The only decent one i've seen is Cannibal Holocaust... Blair Witch was pretty original at the time as well...

Ms45 wrote:

The only decent one i've seen is Cannibal Holocaust... Blair Witch was pretty original at the time as well...

There were a few I'd never heard of till this Thread.  Some of em are definitely worth checkin out.

Best:
1. [REC.]
2. Cloverfield
3. Noroi
4. Home Movie
5. Paranormal Entity
6. [REC.] 2
7. Cannibal Holocaust
8. Man bites Dog

Moderate/okay:
1. Paranormal Activity 1 & 2
2. Quarantine
3. The Fourth Kind
4. Lake Mungo

Haven't seen yet/looking forward to see:
1. 8213 Gacy House
2. The Poughkeepsie Tapes
3. Evil Things
4. Grave Encounters
5. The Troll Hunter
6. The Silent House

Hate:
1. Blair Witch Project
2. Diary of the Dead
3. The Last Exorcism

Man Bites Dog is great

Does Ringu count? They find footage in that... and what about videodrome? James Woods taps into a video signal and "finds" footage of women getting tortured.. Then he "finds" a video being placed into his gut opening.

I thought the exorcism guy in Paranormal Activity was HILARIOUS! anyone agree?

It was like watching a mocumentary like The Office every time he had a scene

Ms45 wrote:

Does Ringu count? They find footage in that... and what about videodrome? James Woods taps into a video signal and "finds" footage of women getting tortured.. Then he "finds" a video being placed into his gut opening.

'found footage' is more a a sub-genre.. a type of movie that presents itself mockumentary style. where it usually is footage that was 'found' .

fmvgamer wrote:

Saw this.  Was interesting.  Def a decent - I'm home alone with the dogs so I'll watch a free movie on the computer.  Kinda got irritating though, but overall a decent movie.  Def ahead of a couple of the Found Footage movies I've seen recently.

I really want to see La Casa Muda  (The Silent House) but the Uruguayan original.  It is yet another foreign film that that will have an American remake before the original is ever released stateside, but I don't know if it is a found footage/faux documentary film.  I can't find anything that describes it that way.  I know it is hand-held, but I think its claim to fame is that it was supposed to have been shot in one continuous 76 minute shot.

Last edited by alien25 (2011-02-10 22:47:51)

derailment - but alien, check your PMs  wink