Topic: Santa Sangre

This movie is damn good.. Anyone seen it?

Re: Santa Sangre

I freaking love this film! Can't get enough of it, I really must get this on blu-ray. Such a beautiful and brutal film.

I watched this waaaaaay back when I was in the Army.  I don't remember many details (it's been over twenty years ,sue me) but I do remember the overall feel as being stark and weird but beautiful at the same time.

I'll have to give it another watch some time.

fantastic film - Jodorowsky's best IMO

Severin's 2-disc set is superb

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-02-10 10:52:41)

Brutal, disturbing and entertaining. A horror classic IMO.

deadhorse13 wrote:

fantastic film - Jodorowsky's best IMO

Severin's 2-disc set is superb

I think that one is out of print now and really expensive on ebay.. but not sure...

Has anyone seen Jodorowsky's other (and better) films? El Topo and The Holy Mountain? More so cult surrealism than horror though...

I have - I don't think they're better per se, just different.
I lean toward Holy Mountain a little more than El Topo.

People tend to think El topo is flawed.. I don't really see it though...

I do think it's Jodorowsky's most "entertaining" film
And flawed?  I don't see that either

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-02-10 19:40:50)

El Topo is the standout film for me cause Jodorowsky stars in it.. and him in his cowboy outfit creates such classic imagery... Just as classic as Divine in her red dress...

El Topo's one of those midnight movies I've wanted to get my hands on for a long time now, but it keeps slipping my mind.

Me thinks it's time to hit a torrent site (not that I endorse that kind of thing).  Ahem.

LoudLon wrote:

El Topo's one of those midnight movies I've wanted to get my hands on for a long time now, but it keeps slipping my mind.

Me thinks it's time to hit a torrent site (not that I endorse that kind of thing).  Ahem.

I recommend the english dubbed version for the first viewing.. El topo was simultaneously made in english and spanish so the english dubs are really good and are done by jodorowsky himself.

Duly noted.  But honestly, when it comes to foreign flicks I prefer original language with English subs.  I credit this to twenty five years of watching HK action flicks. lol

I'm the same.  I do enjoy some of the inconsistencies between dubs and subtitles on certain films though - you know - the goofy ones LOL

LoudLon wrote:

Duly noted.  But honestly, when it comes to foreign flicks I prefer original language with English subs.  I credit this to twenty five years of watching HK action flicks. lol

Yeah usually i'd agree but El Topo is the exception.. It's such a quoteable movie and you can't really do that if you watch it in spanish.. but either way both versions are great.

both spanish and english are the original languages cause they were done simultaneously

Last edited by Ms45 (2011-02-10 20:11:32)

Dude, I can name five of my favorite sub fuck ups right off the top of my head, all taken from HK flicks:

"She burst one ball of mine."

"I've got knife scars more than the number of your leg's hair."

"I'm not!  I'm!"

"You fatty with your thick jaw have fractured my instep."

"Brother, my pants are coming out."

yeah but try quoting arnold schwarzenegger without putting the voice on.. it aint the same..

Ms45 wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Yeah usually i'd agree but El Topo is the exception.. It's such a quoteable movie and you can't really do that if you watch it in spanish.. but either way both versions are great.

both spanish and english are the original languages cause they were done simultaneously

Luckily for me, I comprehend Spanish fluently.  Speaking it, that's another thing entirely. lol

Ms45 wrote:

yeah but try quoting arnold schwarzenegger without putting the voice on.. it aint the same..

True.  I can do a really good Schwarzenegger "eeeyiiieeeyyieee" though.  And I'm the balls with "Run!  Go!  Get to da choppah!"

oh haha well there you go

Got my hands on El Topo at the local library. I ended up falling asleep about 1/2 way thru, only because I was tired tho. I did enjoy what I saw and will have to give it another go, but this time before midnight.                                                          As for Santa Sangre, it just hit the shelves last wk at the local DVD store where I rent. Will try to watch it this wk end.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-02-10 21:33:00)

Santa Sangre will be available on netflix instant march 1st.

I have Santa Sangre in a beautiful singaporean DVD set with an extra disc, i bought it off ebay a few years back, wasnt sure if it was legit but turns out to be an official release.
Santa Sangre along with eyes without a face are my two favourite not just horror but favourite movies of all time. I found SS to be pure poetry and an incredibly sweet story, the mime girl is just adorable. Plus Jodorowsky's visuals rival Suspiria.
I also love all his other work, i managed to get a boxset of his with Holy Mountain, El Topo, Fando & Lis and and a short film he did called La Cravate which is pretty funny and interesting, i recommend checking it out. all quality blazing movies too.

The author of "Santa Sangre" is the same author of this short movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKDW6z_youQ Here the topic: http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … 55#p510055

I watched about half of it on Netflix a couple weeks ago but turned it off shortly after that. I really should finish it.