Re: Opera(1987)

My second favorite Argento flick after Tenebre.  Nicely sadistic killer, adorable Cristina Marsillach in the lead (rumor has it she wasn't exactly Argento's favorite leading lady), William McNamara gets hacked up real good and did you know the chick who played the wardrobe mistress, who was also in Demons 2 and went on to appear in Mother of Tears, was only like 18 at the time?  I would have sworn she was in her late 20s/early 30s.

Also LOVE the 80s metal soundtrack.  Nice change of pace from the usual pounding Goblin score.

I've never seen Opera and the only one i've found online won't download.. dammit.

Oh, you've got to see it.  For my money it was Argento's last truly great flick, though Stendhal Syndrome had its moments.

In fact, check your PMs.

oh yeah, it's a must.  I've got some avenues to check out, but I think Lon's putting you on the right track

sweeeeet thanks

Yup yup.

I thought Opera was interesting in that Argento was referencing many of his other films in certain scenes and shot constructions.  Phenonema and Inferno. Not to mention Hitchcock, with the birds, voyeurism ie the obsession with eyes.

I wrote a review for Opera for a website I used to be a staff writer at, and wrote that it was basically a culmination of all the themes he'd explored in previous films; sadism, masochism, the identity confusion, the clashing of dominant and submissive personalities, exploring visual space, how music and soundtrack interact with what's happening on-screen, etc, etc.

Which is why I think his subsequent films haven't been all that good.  Opera pretty much summed up his entire career to that point, and once he'd done that, there was nothing much else for him to do.  I think the only reason Stendhal Syndrome proved effective was because it wasn't his own original material, but an adaptation of a novel.  And I think were Argento to spend less time grasping at straws and more time seeking out adaptable material, maybe he could deliver another good flick.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-02-11 00:08:02)

I think Trauma gets a bad rap - granted it's not up to his previous efforts, but overall it's an enjoyable film

perhaps Dracula 3D will be good?

perhaps.  I was really disappointed in Mother Of Tears - the production looked so cheap.
I was kinda on a high after his Jenifer episode in Masters of Horror and hoped he'd wow me again.  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.  A few cool set-pieces though.
Giallo I've had in my stack for awhile too, but I haven't gotten to it.

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-02-11 00:20:58)

I didn't hate Trauma, but I didn't love it either. 

Savini's effects delivered as usual and I'm flat out in love with Asia Argento (she can dip me in syrup and call me Nancy any time).  It had some cool moments of Argento's signature quirkiness -- Piper Laurie's head rolling while saying "Nicolas Nicolas Nicolas" was a nicely creepy moment -- but somehow or other Argento had this great, lurid subject matter and somehow or other managed to fumble it with atypical sloppy direction and a clumsy overall production.  It almost felt like a job for hire than a genuine Argento film.

I think he was trying to make an "American film" with it if that makes any sense LOL

Dammit, you guys are posting too fast for me to keep up with! lol

Mother of Tears -- big disappointment.  You'd expect his long-unfinished Three Mothers trilogy to go out with a bang,  Instead, it goes out with a whimper.  He should have pulled out all the stops and let the dam flood, not just keep it bottled up with chewing gum.

Giallo -- despite a Hollywood A-lister and loads of potential -- also fizzles rather than dazzles.  I actually have the screenplay and it's even obvious on the page the flick wasn't going to be anything special.

LoudLon wrote:

Dammit, you guys are posting too fast for me to keep up with! lol

Mother of Tears -- big disappointment.  You'd expect his long-unfinished Three Mothers trilogy to go out with a bang,  Instead, it goes out with a whimper.  He should have pulled out all the stops and let the dam flood, not just keep it bottled up with chewing gum.

Giallo -- despite a Hollywood A-lister and loads of potential -- also fizzles rather than dazzles.  I actually have the screenplay and it's even obvious on the page the flick wasn't going to be anything special.

at least giallo feels like an argento film, i liked it ok. i agree that opera seems to be the last of his GREAT films. don't get me worng, he's my fav director. Just he's missing that spark that makes his movies stand out from the crowd, and any of the movies he's done since could have been just as good as the others, just needed that something that screams Argento.  Also agree on Asia, incredible!

terrified of dracula 3d, as much as romero doing deep red! can't figure out what's going on here. high hopes, but holding my breath...........and I can hold my breath .........for a long time!

Well I fnally got myself a copy of it and yeah I like. Its weird how I missed that Argento flick, that is a mystery.
Its full of cheesy Argento tho

*edit* I am talking about Opera ha ftf

Last edited by DemonToSome (2011-02-20 21:29:40)

Opera is my favorite besides Deep Red  and Suspiria. Some great gory kills and very suspencefull. And one of his better films as far as art and shot progression goes. Although they didn't really bother me I remember some miner plot holes.

Opera and Profondo Rosso (Deep Red, or The Hatchet Murders) are excellent, artistic films in my opinion- though I prefer Profondo Rosso.

Love this flick.  My second favorite Argento movie after Tenebre.

As much as I wanted to love it I thought it was just OK...I know I saw the dubbed version and prob all are that version and it almost makes it laughable at times with english dubbing. Thats most likely the way it was produced but the english words they say at times almost puts this in the where can I put it.. you know I dont need to say I already did.

here I go editing i guess I didnt alreadt did haha
but to me its all the same edit here and edit there smile

Last edited by DemonToSome (2011-02-21 00:43:47)

Tenebrae is my favorite as well.
opera is very underrated.

I liked Tenebrae more than Opera.

Check out this vid by Electric Wizard, it has shots from Opera in it...Susperia Deep Red...
http://www.youtube.com/user/myownservan … RQ0GsNKqvQ

Last edited by fredgarvin (2011-02-21 02:21:13)

Talk about contributing to a dead discussion! LOL But I can not help! I absolutely LOVE Opera! When I sat down and watch it for the first time, my jaw dropped. Everything fit well and I could get enough. I think I watched in six times in a row that night. I enjoy the Three Mothers Trilogy a lot, but Opera out shines them. Deep Red come close though!