Topic: Mario Bava?

I feel like i need to watch more Bava films.. I've seen Black Sunday (Mask of satan) and Danger Diabolik (Which i loved)... Can anyone suggest any?

ps Is Black Sabbath good? cause the band was really good...

Re: Mario Bava?

I really liked Black Sabbath, a couple supernatural tales with a cool little early Giallo in the middle. Definitely one of the better anthologies out there. You can find a bunch of Bava movies in The Bava Box 1 & 2. The Girl Who Knew Too Much is pretty good, a really early Giallo with John Saxon and Kill Baby Kill is solid. Twitch Of The Death Nerve (aka Bay Of Blood) and Blood & Black Lace are pretty decent too. I think most will argue that his best work was Black Sunday and Black Sabbath though.

My favorite Bava film is actually one of his lesser known ones, and those who do know of it don't particularly hold it in high regard.

It's called Shock, aka Beyond the Door 2 and was the last film Bava directed.  It's not the best story ever told but as with most other Italian horror filmmakers, a cohesive narrative was never high on tBava's list of priorities. 

What the flick does have is a stark yet almost fairy tale-like atmosphere, some of Bava's most fluid directorial flourishes and Daria Nicolodi in what I think is her strongest performance.  It ain't Citizen Kane but for a low-budget obscure Italian horror chiller, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-02-11 01:03:02)

we meet again! LOL

Blood And Black Lace - essential
Black Sabbath - ditto
Kill Baby Kill - pretty damn awesome
Hatchet For The Honeymoon - good, but knock it down the list
Five Dolls For An August Moon - the same
Twitch of The Death Nerve - hells yeah - just to see Bava go over the top LOL
Baron Blood is so-so
Lisa And The Devil rocks - avoid the House Of Exorcism cut
Rabid Dogs is great although not really horror
Shock is very enjoyable as well.

that's my take  smile

Oh yeah! I thought Shock was good too! Not the most coherent, but still a pretty solid haunted house story. I agree, that was the best performance from Daria Nicolodi!

sweeet i know my video store has blood and black lace so i'll get that.. i know it's not horror but does anyone like 'Danger: Diabolik'?

love it.  I think the look of the film was perfect for a comic adapt.
Marisa Mell has such an intriguing look, too

shit. Planet of The Vampires is notable just for the fact of how it looks considering how cheaply it was made.  Bava had such visual skill - even when he had little to work with

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-02-11 01:12:17)

I've only seen the MST3K version, so I can't say I've really watched it faithfully. It did seem pretty interesting though.

Ms45 wrote:

I feel like i need to watch more Bava films.. I've seen Black Sunday (Mask of satan) and Danger Diabolik (Which i loved)... Can anyone suggest any?

ps Is Black Sabbath good? cause the band was really good...

very cool and ahead of it's time. the part where the woman steals the ring is unforgettable. creepy stuff.

LoudLon wrote:

My favorite Bava film is actually one of his lesser known ones, and those who do know of it don't particularly hold it in high regard.

It's called Shock, aka Beyond the Door 2 and was the last film Bava directed.  It's not the best story ever told but as with most other Italian horror filmmakers, a cohesive narrative was never high on tBava's list of priorities. 

What the flick does have is a stark yet almost fairy tale-like atmosphere, some of Bava's most fluid directorial flourishes and Daria Nicolodi in what I think is her strongest performance.  It ain't Citizen Kane but for a low-budget obscure Italian horror chiller, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

the hallway shot is one of the most effective scenes ever in horror movies.. loved this movie.

deadhorse13 wrote:

love it.  I think the look of the film was perfect for a comic adapt.
Marisa Mell has such an intriguing look, too

shit. Planet of The Vampires is notable just for the fact of how it looks considering how cheaply it was made.  Bava had such visual skill - even when he had little to work with

that's why he was the maestro.

oh yes ! i love most Bava movies and Black Sabbath in my opinion is the best. a very good film, and in the episode about the stolen ring features the scariest corpse you'll see on screen. also love Black Sunday,The Whip & The Body, like the girl who knew too much, kill, baby kill, hatchet for the honeymoon, Bay oF Blood, shock, planet of the vampires,  not so keen on blood and black lace, although i do kinda like it, Baron Blood, and i dislike Lisa & tHE devil & Danger Diabolik. have not seen six dolls in a august moon. Mario bava is easily my favourite Italian horror director by miles.
update! should have done this ages ago! i do like " Lisa & THE Devil" the proper version it's that atrocity " House Of Exorcism" i dislike.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-07-26 14:47:22)

Blood and Black Lace was his best experimentation with lights, the surreal colors...that alot of people try to imitate.

Is The Whip and the Body any good? It sounds interesting, a ghost story with S&M undertones and Christopher Lee. Can't resist it really. A copy came up in the dvd swap club I'm in, but I'm not sure I want to spend a credit on it. Is it worth it?

I'm currently working my way through Bava's films. I've seen Black Sabbath, which I absolutely loved, and Bay of Blood, which was better than I thought it would be. Blood and Black Lace, such a beautifully filmed movie, was my most recent watch. Black Sunday is next on the list.

^^
I haven't seen it, but I looked around some.  Not considered as one of his best, but a solid 7/10 out of 1,300 reviews, so it can't suck.

^^ Thanks. I found it on Amazon for really cheap (.90) so I think I'll save my credit. I usually only like to use them for films that are harder to find or more expensive.

mmorgan wrote:

Blood and Black Lace was his best experimentation with lights, the surreal colors...that alot of people try to imitate.

I'm pretty sure it was a major on influence of the look of Argento's horror films (not so much his early giallos).

I haven't seen everything he's done, but what I have, I like a lot.  I own Black Sabbath, and though I'm not crazy about the opening story, the second (an awesome Russian vampire tale) and third (a truly scary ghost tale) are worth the price.  I also own Black Sunday and feel it's a classic that every fan of classic supernatural horror should see (and own).  The only other Bava I own is Twitch of the Death Nerve (Bay of Blood) and think all slasher fans should give it a look due to it's obvious influence on the genre, most notably Friday the 13th.  While I don't own it, Blood and Black lace is a very stylish giallo that will also appeal to slasher fans.

I personally like Baron Blood and also really liked Kill, Baby, Kill, however I've yet to see Shock and Hatchet for the Honeymoon, which I will have to remedy soon.  I've had both on my Netflix que forever, but just haven't gotten around to them yet.  Perhaps I will save them for my annual Halloween movie marathon.

The Whip and the Body is one of the few Bava gialli I've not seen.  That and 5 Dolls for an August Moon (which I'm about 75% finished downloading right now).

The Whip & The Body is my second favourite Bava after Black Sabbath and just beats Black Sunday into third place. In my opinion Christopher Lee's best performance although he is not in it all that much but has a big influence over the film. a  good  film.

Gonna watch some bay of blood and blood and black lace soon. absolutely love those movies.

Mr. Black wrote:

Gonna watch some bay of blood and blood and black lace soon. absolutely love those movies.

both are well worth seeing more than once.

its been about a year since i've seen them both in one sitting and i own Blood and Black Lace. Quite foolish of me. Bollocks

I just finished Blood and Black Lace this morning. It's such a gorgeous film, but not much beyond that for me. This was my fourth giallo, and I think I can honestly say that this sub-genre isn't a favorite of mine.

Black Sunday is next on my list of Bava films. I adore Barbara Steele so I can't wait to watch it.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

Black Sunday is next on my list of Bava films. I adore Barbara Steele so I can't wait to watch it.

you'll enjoy this one then. there's two Barbara Steele characters and the film is a classic!

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I just finished Blood and Black Lace this morning. It's such a gorgeous film, but not much beyond that for me. This was my fourth giallo, and I think I can honestly say that this sub-genre isn't a favorite of mine.

That's because you haven't watched the right ones.  Give these a try:

Tenebre
Opera
A Blade in the Dark
Seven Bloodstained Orchids
The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
House of the Yellow Carpet
Deep Red
Don't Torture a Duckling
Alice, Sweet Alice (American made but a very strong Euro-horror vibe)

If those don't make you a giallo fan, nothing will. smile

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-07-26 18:39:20)