Topic: Grindhouse Trailers

Does anyone know what's happening with the other grindhouse trailer/movies? Machete was made but i also heard Don't and Thanksgiving were being made.. and Rob Zombies seemed kinda interested in werewolf women for a while but i think he gave up..... Also when is Hobo with a Shotgun coming out? The trailer looks mad... They should be churning out these movies just like original grindhouse cinema did.

Re: Grindhouse Trailers

Hobo With A Shotgun was played at Sundance and got really good reviews. I don't think Don't is gonna get made.  And Thanksgiving, who knows, Eli Roth keeps talking about it but I don't know if it will ever get done.

I want Thanksgiven, i wish he would just get on with it.

I've never actually seen an Eli Roth film.. I hear they weren't very good but i should check them out anyway... Thanksgiving trailer is sweet though...

On a side note i heard Eli Roth is developing a Kung Fu film with the RZA from Wu-Tang.. Rza is gonna star and direct.. I have high hopes for that one...

And yeah i can't wait for Hobo with a Shotgun..... I just read some reviews on Rotten Tomatoes comparing it to early John Waters...

Ms45 wrote:

I've never actually seen an Eli Roth film.. I hear they weren't very good but i should check them out anyway... Thanksgiving trailer is sweet though...

If there's one thing you'll learn by reading the numerous Roth discussions here on the board, it's that he's a love him or hate him kind of filmmaker.  His enthusiasm and deep respect for the genre notwithstanding, his movies tend to split the fans, mostly because he hypes them so much.  The guy's his own publicity department lol  Personally I think Hostel 2 is his best movie so far.  Hostel I didn't care for, and Cabin Fever I flat hated.

As for the Grindhouse Trailers, we've got two out of five, anyway.  I loved Machete and I'm really looking forward to Hobo with a Shotgun. 

Thanksgiving...meh.  It had a couple humorous moments but I doubt I'd bother with a full blown movie, despite being a fan of Michael Biehn.

I'd definitely like to see Rob Zombie do a Werewolf Women of the SS movie but I think that one's going to go down in history as a minor classic that never was. 

"Don't" was hands-down my favorite Grindhouse trailer.  It's chock full of visual references to numerous 70s horror/chiller classics (it even reaches back to 1963's X - The Man with X-Ray Eyes).  I would LOVE to see a feature film of that material.

I agree with Lon.  I liked Hostel 2 and hdidnt care for Cabin Fever.

Im would love to see "Don't"  just for all the reasons Lon stated.
and I would love to see Werewolf Women of The S.S.

I think Eli Roth is a hoot.  To me, he totally "gets" the genre and is aware of its past and that's what's important - he's yet to make a perfect film, but I think he's definitely capable.
He's not afraid to make an ass out of himself either, if you look at some of the cameos he's done.
I honestly think Cabin Fever is a classic of sorts, felt like a send-up of things we've seen before - sure - but with its own very quirky and off-beat rhythm.
Hostel isn't bad in my opinion, but I'll agree that 2 bested it. I'll always be interested in what he does.

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-02-13 13:14:44)

The Don't trailer is almost spot on.

However, in my view it's spoilt by having that guy dressed as a baby. 

They should have cut that out. It was a definite bum idea...

also - Roth, through his success, has done a lot to help other fledgling film-makers, which goes a long way in my book, too.  Makes him a class act, if you ask me - at least on a personal level.

I'm a huge Roth fan. Out of all the grindhouse trailers Thanksgiving is my favorite. I'm really hoping it gets made into a movie.

Of the mentioned, I would like to see Thanksgiving & Women of the SS. As for E Roth. I've liked all his films so far. Some more than others, with Cabin Fever being at the top of my list. In other new's... I've also heard rumor that, Tarantino's thrown around the idea of making a Mandarin: Kung Fu movie. I personally would rather see Tarantino or Rodriguez do Women of the SS.

Well i think i'll watch Cabin Fever first..

John Carpenter and Wes Craven should try and make something for the Grindhouse series...

I'm goin to show my ignorance here...but I'm confused and want to know the answer.  I really enjoyed both Grindhouse films.  Especially, Planet Terror.

I didn't know there were potentially other Grindhouse films that may be made.  I did gather that from this Thread.  What I am confused about is why would they make Trailers for these movies that are not goin to be made?

Don't get me wrong.  I realize this happens...but from this Thread it seems there are potentially three movies associated with two movies that were made, that were goin to be made, with Trailers, but are not goin to be made?  Am I understanding this right?

I checked out the Trailers and these movies seem like they would be awesome.

In the theatrical version of Grindhouse they had fake trailers in between Planet Terror and Death Proof to make it feel like a real grindhouse double bill.  When the DVD came out they split the movies apart and sold them as separate movies to make more money since the movie didn't make very much bank at the box office. 

Machete was the first one of the fake trailers to get turned into a real movie.  Hobo With a Shotgun wasn't in the original Grindhouse but was a fake trailer that won a contest that Robert Rodriguez did before Grindhouse came out.  And it has now been made into a full length.

Thanksgiving is the only other one of the fake trailers that has been talked about to get turned into a movie.

Last edited by mdc666 (2011-02-13 20:36:35)

Ghostseeker wrote:

I'm goin to show my ignorance here...but I'm confused and want to know the answer.  I really enjoyed both Grindhouse films.  Especially, Planet Terror.

I didn't know there were potentially other Grindhouse films that may be made.  I did gather that from this Thread.  What I am confused about is why would they make Trailers for these movies that are not goin to be made?

Don't get me wrong.  I realize this happens...but from this Thread it seems there are potentially three movies associated with two movies that were made, that were goin to be made, with Trailers, but are not goin to be made?  Am I understanding this right?

I checked out the Trailers and these movies seem like they would be awesome.

The film Grindhouse was an attempt to recreate the experience of watching cheap/tacky/shocking exploitation flicks in trashy drive-ins and theaters during their heyday back in the 70s.  As such, the movies and trailers in Grindhouse were intentionally "bad" -- not just in regards to subject matter, but also exection, using such commonplace 70s theater occurrences as missing reels and scratches on the film and hair in the lenses.  These movies were typically shown in double features, separated by a number of trailers for equally "bad" movies.  Stuff like Three on a Meathook, or Foxy Brown, or Bloodsucking Freaks, etc.

The fake trailers were just another part of the game.  Tarantino and Rodriguez brought in today's writers/directors who grew up on those cheap exploitation/horror/gore flicks, and each created a fake trailer to play between the two films.

Machete -- inspired by stuff like Shaft, Truck Turner -- it was blaxploitation, except with Latinos.  What Rodriguez referred to as Mexploitation.

Werewolf Women of the SS -- inspired by obscurities such as Werewolves on Wheels, Paul Naschy flicks and the flood of "Nazi Nasty" flicks of the early-mid 70s.

Thanksgiving -- inspired by the cheap, post-Friday the 13th slasher flick knock offs of the early 80s, most of which were based on holidays ranging from Mother's Day to New Year's Eve and everything in between.  In fact, Roth mentioned that he made the Thanksgiving trailer because there had never been a slasher flick which took place on that holiday.  Which leads me to believe he either forgot about or never saw Home Sweet Home.

Don't -- inspired by Hammer Horror flicks and the Richard Matheson-inspired swarm of haunted house movies of the 70s.

Hobo with a Shotgun -- influenced by the violent and pseudo-fascist vigilante flicks of the 70s -- stuff like Charles Bronson's Death Wish, Vigilante with Robert Forster, etc.

None of these were originally intended to later become actual movies.  They were just for fun.  But the fan response to the fake trailers was so positive -- even more positive than the response to Planet Terror and Death Proof themselves -- that Rodriguez decided to turn his fake trailer into a real film.  Three years later, we got Machete.  The same with Hobo with a Shotgun (which actually wasn't shown in the American theatrical release of Grindhouse -- at least, not when I went and saw it).

Roth has mentioned some desire to turn Thanksgiving into a real film; Rob Zombie's mentioned a desire to do the same with Werewolf Women of the SS, but apparently neither are interested in pursuing those claims.  That just leaves Don't, and I don't recall ever hearing or reading about Edgar Wright wanting to turn that into an actual film.  Though I wish he would.

Thanks for the info Lon and mdc!

LoudLon wrote:

None of these were originally intended to later become actual movies.  They were just for fun.  But the fan response to the fake trailers was so positive -- even more positive than the response to Planet Terror and Death Proof themselves -- that Rodriguez decided to turn his fake trailer into a real film.  Three years later, we got Machete.  The same with Hobo with a Shotgun (which actually wasn't shown in the American theatrical release of Grindhouse -- at least, not when I went and saw it).

This totally explains it.  Thanks for clearing that up.  It's been quite a while since I've seen these Trailers, and the only one I remember is Machete...although I remember there bein others.  I didn't know they were considering making them into movies.  When I went back and looked at the Trailers I was hooked, like thinkin they looked like they could be great movies.  The Werewolf Women one didn't even look familiar at all, like I had never seen it.  Don't and Thanksgiving did.  Glad I asked.

Y'know, I realized just now reading back over this that I could have explained it all much easier by saying they were just homages.

But I like to ramble.  Apparently.

LoudLon wrote:

Y'know, I realized just now reading back over this that I could have explained it all much easier by saying they were just homages.

But I like to ramble.  Apparently.

Well...you could have, but I wouldn't have understood as much about them as I do now.  So I'm glad you didn't.

Zombie should actually make Werewolf Women of the SS and stop making remakes. I think he has the opportunity to be a great original director if he took this approach.