Topic: True Grit (2010)

I saw the trailer for the remake of John Wayne's film True Grit.  I must say, those Coen brothers look like they may have outdone themselves.  It's been a long time since we've had a good western film, lets hope this is the start of a revival

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUiCu-zuAgM

Re: True Grit (2010)

Hey J-Dawg where you been hiding? big_smile

I will surely watch the movie. Dramatic movies are good source of entertainment.

I saw this movie today and it was FANTASTIC!  I normally dislike Westerns but this was very good.  You are kept watching every second and you never get bored. Jeff Bridges did a great job of playing Rooster Cogburn. He is not only a bad ass tough guy he is a crazy story teller and keeps you entertained.  I give this movie 9 out of 10 stars! smile  This was his best acting job by far. He out did any other actor in the movie.

Last edited by Godzilla_Rules (2010-12-26 19:58:08)

I'm drfinitely going, I did hear that Josh Brolin was a little over the top, like the guy from Monty Python with a napkin on his head and rubber boots. I'm looking forward to it.

Ill check it out when I can rent it on netflix

I really liked the remake. The girl that plays Mattie in the remake is way better than Kim Darby from the original. It seemed like Kim Darby could never decide exactly how to play her. Is she an outspoken girl wise beyond her years or is she the typical weakling that a lot of women played in American Westerns at the time? At least in the remake there is more consistency. I like John Wayne in the original, but it seemed that by that time he was bigger than the characters he played so it really just came across as John Wayne being a moody bastard. I liked Jeff Bridges better since he was more into being the character and he fit the role a bit better than John Wayne did.

I thought it was a pile of dog poo. It's vastly overrated and hyped up to the eyeballs.

In my view Jeff Bridges is badly miscast and with that old-style western accent he uses he sounds like he's speaking through a mouth full of food. Either that or he sounds like he's impersonating Karl Childers from Sling Blade.

And please don't get me started on the girl who plays Mattie. Simply awful and not a patch of Kim Darby who originally played the part in 1969.

True Grit 2010 is a bleak, boring, depressing piece of hype-up garbage.

Give me the original any day. And John Wayne and Kim with it. THAT IS a great film.

I loved the new True Grit.  One of the best movies I saw last year.  Besides being a great western it was funny as hell too.  Wasn't expecting the humor but it shouldn't have surprised me being the Coens directed it.

The Coen Brothers are genious, n'uff said.

I had never seen original becuse i'm not a fan of John Wayne. I respect him as an Iconic figure in early western cinema but i don't get it, he wasn't a very good actor nor was he very intimidating like many of his roles would have you think, more like a pipsqueak with a deep voice lol

I downloaded it but have yet to watch..looks good though!