Re: Retro Rewatch Pleasant Discoveries

Night Train to Terror-  One of the bad guys was Richard Moll (Bull from Night Court).

When i rewatched I Still Know What You Did Last Summer i was amused to find Jack Black in it. lol

The Dead Pool-  Completely forgot Jim Carey was in it...LOL

One of my favorite Dirty Harry entries.

Y'know, Jim Carrey was only given that role because Eastwood saw Carrey's impression of him?  Fun little fact.

I am sure he does a very good impression!   LOL

I need to watch madhouse! not available in my local video store.

I recently went back and watched two horror flicks I use to watch over and over again back when Hollywood Video was still in business. Milo and Proteus.

Milo was about that killer kid in a yellow raincoat and I have to say, it's certainly not bad but it's tacky as all hell. I don't quite enjoy it as much as I did back when I was 10 or 11.

Proteus, the one about that mutant on an oil rig, still held up after all these years especially for being a direct-to-video movie. Great effects and some genuinely creepy moments. I remember like it was yesterday. More specifically I remember the fact that the monster's name was Charlie and that it reminded me of The Thing.

Downloaded a bunch of 80s music videos.   Just busted out a laugh when I noticed Gary Klar (Private Steel from Romero's Day of the Dead) in the video for the Cindy Lauper song She-Bop.

People pop up in the funniest places...

The Dentist - I only remembered it as being very fierce and painful, but upon re-watching it I realized that it's actually a well made, disturbing, psychological profile of psychopath. It's actually really captivating and makes you sympathetic. I wrote a critical analysis of it:

http://www.paradiseofhorror.com/2011/03 … -mind.html

I'm not sure if these count, but I did recognize Bruce Campbells voice in Dead Next Door. The Raimi character, I believe.

Kristy Swanson in Deadly Friend? That's an underrated flick, IMO. Ive seen that movie hundreds of times as a kid, and didn't know that was Kristy til recently watching it again. Also didn't know Wes Craven directed it. Almost forgot to mention the greasy-haired nasty old lady from "Throw Mama From the Train" and "Goonies". Im a nincumpoop!

Not sure of his name but, I remember Biff from the Back to the Future movies in April Fools Day, as well. CLASSIC 80s

Last edited by Silver_Fox (2011-04-03 23:11:13)

Night of the Demons. It's a fair 80's film. Like a poor mans Return of the Living Dead.

Xtro wrote:

The Dentist - I only remembered it as being very fierce and painful, but upon re-watching it I realized that it's actually a well made, disturbing, psychological profile of psychopath. It's actually really captivating and makes you sympathetic. I wrote a critical analysis of it:

Your blog is cool, I just became a follower. I enjoy horror blogs that focus more on obscure horror.

mmorgan wrote:
Xtro wrote:

Your blog is cool, I just became a follower. I enjoy horror blogs that focus more on obscure horror.

Thank you very much. I like trailing off into obscurity because I think certain movies need more articles written about them. A lot of them are very underrated and hardly go noticed.

mmorgan wrote:

Night of the Demons. It's a fair 80's film. Like a poor mans Return of the Living Dead.

One of my top 10.  The 2nd one was fun with the ninja nun.  Have you seen the 'Night' remake?  And first it PO'd me because it differed so much from the 1st, but when I went back and re-watched it as a stand-alone film, it wasn't too bad.

"Piranha ( 1978)
The Asphyx

Carnival of Souls (1998) - But it's only pleasant in the sense of how great the production designers did with the 'carnival dream world,' otherwise it's pretty bad.

Its not that much of an old film, maybe nine years old. Anyway for some reason I used to hate My Little Eye (2002) but upon recently re-watching it I found a whole new respect for the film, I was shocked that I actually liked it. I should really re-watch a few others I thought I hated I may be pleasantly surprised.

Hm.

Not to sound like a dick (at least, not a total dick lol ) but you guys do realize the purpose of this thread isn't to talk about re-watching old movies, but to let folks know about pleasant discoveries you made while watching them.  An actor who has since gone on to fame in a bit role, that kind of thing.  Like say, re-watching The Hidden (1987) and realizing, holy shit, that's Danny Trejo in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it role as a thug in jail.

There's already another thread dedicated to re-watching and re-evaluating older movies.  This thread isn't intended to steal posts from that one.

Just clarifying.  smile

^ Hahaha I had this thing all wrong... Sorry dude lol

I am such a douche... Anyway I was pleasantly surprised to find Robert Englund in Schwarzenegger's film Stay Hungry (1976), he played the part of Franklin, was surreal at  one point witnessing Jeff Bridges, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Robert Englund all on the screen at one time.

LoudLon wrote:

Hm.

Not to sound like a dick (at least, not a total dick lol ) but you guys do realize the purpose of this thread isn't to talk about re-watching old movies, but to let folks know about pleasant discoveries you made while watching them.  An actor who has since gone on to fame in a bit role, that kind of thing.  Like say, re-watching The Hidden (1987) and realizing, holy shit, that's Danny Trejo in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it role as a thug in jail.

There's already another thread dedicated to re-watching and re-evaluating older movies.  This thread isn't intended to steal posts from that one.

Just clarifying.  smile

Well, My Little Eye does star one Bradley Cooper who has gone on to become one of Hollywood's hottest comodities. wink

Last edited by alien25 (2011-04-21 14:19:28)

Deth_Banger wrote:

I am such a douche... Anyway I was pleasantly surprised to find Robert Englund in Schwarzenegger's film Stay Hungry (1976), he played the part of Franklin, was surreal at  one point witnessing Jeff Bridges, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Robert Englund all on the screen at one time.

I'm pleasantly surprised to learn I'm not the only person here who's seen that flick. lol

I thought it was a pretty funny flick.  And was also surprised to see Ed Begley, Jr. in it.

LoudLon wrote:
Deth_Banger wrote:

I'm pleasantly surprised to learn I'm not the only person here who's seen that flick. lol

I thought it was a pretty funny flick.  And was also surprised to see Ed Begley, Jr. in it.

Absolutely!! What was with the banjo scene? It was so weird yet it was so good.... God damn crazy locals.

Last edited by Deth_Banger (2011-04-21 14:33:56)

Okay Lon, I'll play your game. I'll play it ALL night long!

*ahem*

Carnival of Souls stars Larry Miller as the main antagonist and he has since tainted his career by starring in Max Keeble's Big Move.

LoudLon wrote:

....Like say, re-watching The Hidden (1987) and realizing, holy shit, that's Danny Trejo in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it role as a thug in jail.

Or perhaps Claudia Christian as a hooker in the same film?  Who went on to do a little show called Babylon 5, as well as a bunch of other stuff?  (Including a nice Playboy shoot, so I'm told.)

Your Tina Fey is my Claudia Christian.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-04-25 01:47:40)