Topic: Dario Argento's new movie, Dracula 3D

I found this article...The movie sounds interesting...

"If the incredible success of The Twilight Saga, True Blood, The Vampire Diaries and countless other vampire-related entertainments already available and coming down the pike (including Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's big screen adaptation of Dark Shadows) can teach us anything it's this: Vampire fans never die (out).

But they do crave more blood.

Which is likely what they'll get now that legendary horror director Dario Argento has announced plans to shoot Dracula 3D.

TwitchFilm reports that the Italian giallo genius has cast Dutch Hollywood veteran Rutger Hauer as the notorious vampire hunter Van Helsing in his adaptation of the classic novel by Bram Stoker.

Hauer's name has been popping up a fair bit lately with rave reviews beginning to roll in for his performance as a hobo with a shotgun in the Canadian grindhouse indie Hobo With A Shotgun. Though tongue-in-cheek, Hobo has been knocking them dead at festivals with critics lauding the Blade Runner star's performance.

Argento, director of the classic 1970's Italian horror Suspiria, first revealed his Dracula plan to reporters at Cannes last summer. Shooting on the picture was originally supposed to have begun in January, but has now been moved to May."

Re: Dario Argento's new movie, Dracula 3D

I'll watch this because despite him having lost his touch over the last decade and a half, he's made enough classics that any films he makes deserve at least one look.

That said, I won't get my hopes up.  I did that with his last few flicks and was repeatedly let down.

this sounds like a bad idea to begin with - sure there's a ton of symbolic imagery to play with in the vampire mythos or it wouldn't have already fueled a million films, but at its core, it's the story underneath and the relations between the characters that give it its true pulse.
Sorry, but I just don't see Argento doing it justice - now, nor 20 years before.

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-02-22 19:43:51)

I'm slightly worried about this project but I will check it out...

I'm sick and tired of the Dracula story. I don't care who is doing it, I don't want to see another one.

ditto on Deady and Lon's opinions..  couldnt have said it better

hey now, Lon said he'd watch it and I said it's a terrible idea!
?
but you win.  I'll still watch it dammit.  LOL

Not sure if it will be good or not either but I will definitely watch it.  I have not seen Giallo yet.  Is it any good?  I was thinking of picking it up this week.

Argento should just retire before he tarnishes his brillant legacy ....

before?

DirtyGirl wrote:

Not sure if it will be good or not either but I will definitely watch it.  I have not seen Giallo yet.  Is it any good?  I was thinking of picking it up this week.

thought it was better than his last few projects. not great, but not bad.at least it was a move in the right direction of Argento getting back to what he does best.

Rutger Hauer as Van Helsing ? He has played plenty of vampires over the years but never a vampire slayer.
Hauer was the vampire king in the Buffy the vampire slayer movie , was Dracula in Dracula III and was the vampire lord Barlow in the 2004 Salem's Lot remake.

Should be an entertaining  watch

Rutger Hauer is one of my favorite actors, and Argento is one of my favorite directors.  I'll probably see it.