Topic: Any news on Cloverfield 2

Any more news on cloverfield 2, i not heard anything about it for a while.

I loved first movie, i think it's great,  One of best movies to come in the last few years, i have seen so many times since it came out. it's get better everytime.

Were there some pictures for Cloverfiled 2 before ?

Re: Any news on Cloverfield 2

I don't think this movie will happen any time soon, that a shame, as i really likec the first movie

I seem to have OCD when it comes to checking Unfiction for Cloverfield 2 news. I guess it's leftovers from all the energy I and so many others put into solving the viral over there...I can't help but check on a regular basis.

And, nope, nothing yet. Not even a passing mention, really, since 2008. *disappointed sigh*

Ya very dissapointed myself, no news lately. Hopefully we hear something soon Id love to see a sequel!

A big thumbs down to hand-held camera horror. I loathe it.

Yup, I loved the first one and it bums me out that there has been no news on a sequel.  But perhaps that is also a good thing.  Perhaps JJ is taking his time, ensuring that everything is just right, so it will be on par if not better than the original.  That sure beats the idea of them doing a sequel just for the sake of doing a sequel, that, and cashing in on the hype of the original too of course.

Just gonna have to settle for Super 8 in June for now.

the first was an okay "popcorn film" - a little too shallow for my taste, though.
I could live without a sequel - so no news is good news, as far as I'm concerned

Some info from from March 8th.

Bloodmania wrote:

A big thumbs down to hand-held camera horror. I loathe it.

I don't think you mean hand held exactly, as a lot of films are made with shoulder-mount and camera rigs that give a handheld look, but the results are amazing, and allow dollying, and other movement into environments that won't allow traditional dolly rigs and tracks. If anything Cloverfield and the like are an "eyewitness" type of shooting. Handheld yes, but a more specific type of hand held.

Nevertheless, I generally agree. This rampant use of "eyewitness" horror (including found footage films in general) have run their bloody course. But despite my distaste for this type of film, there are some rare exceptions that work; and work bloody well. Cloverfield, REC, REC2, and Quarantine to name a few of many that use this "eyewitness" shooting to an extent, but all rocked it. THis is due solely in part to the fact that PROFESSIONALS made them. It's all that recent amateur low budget horror eye witness, found footage films that are ruining this technique. 99.9% of the time those no budget horrors films are at the level of bad film school projects, made by filmmakers who are to cheap to do it the right way, and not experienced enough to do it properly.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2011-03-16 11:38:12)

I think Cloverfield 2 is not on JJ's mindset right now seeing as he's busy with Super 8. Can't wait for that too, deff feels like ET and Close Encounters!

JJ is working with Steven Spielberg on Super 8......he's moved on to bigger territory.  Which is sad, however, because Cloverfield was a very intense movie and a sequel/prequel will be worth while

As far as I know this movie won't happen and even if it did, it won't be for a while. I'm kinda glad because it's a great stand-alone monster movie. If they decide to make another... I'd love to see it from another perspective.

I'd like to see it from the perspective of taking its multi-million dollar budget and making two or three new, original horror movies instead.

But that's just me.  Not a big fan.

Then you are a heathen. But on a lighter note, I'd have to agree with you on funding it for something more original. I think the idea of a sequel was an idea and not really a concept.

Plz leave the Internet.

I wouldn't be able to sit through it and watch if there was a second anyway, way too much memories from Cloverfield. (Not in the sense of being scared, more like I seen the first with my ex mainly, and ugh, I hate even thinking of her, which the second would remind me of her)

Ya very disappointed myself, no news lately. Hopefully we hear something soon Id love to see a sequel!

This is the most recent I could find,however it is from March of this year.

Total Film interviewed director Matt Reeves on the status of the giant monster movie film. Reeves indicated they are working on the plot with the help of producer J.J. Abrams.

“Well, you are going to see it – we just don’t know when [laughs],” explained Reeves. “At the moment we are talking about the story quite a lot. Drew Goddard, who wrote the original, is going to pen the sequel and J.J. Abrams is very much involved. However, the three of us have been so busy that getting the right idea together has been taking a long time.”

One of filming techniques that made the original “Cloverfield” different from other monster movies was its real-time shaky camera. So there are some discussions on how to shoot the sequel with same technique.

“You see, that’s a difficult part: we want it to be shot like the first but how can you continue that idea successfully for a second time?” he said.

The original 2008’s “Cloverfield” managed to gross over $80 million domestically on a film budget of $25 million. The original film followed a group of friends who tried to escape a giant monster attack in New York City.

“Cloverfield” starred Lizzy Caplan (“127 Hours,” “Hot Tub Time Machine”), Jessica Lucas (“She’s the Man,” “Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son”), T.J. Miller (“How to Train Your Dragon,” “She’s Out of My League”), Michael Stahl-David (“The Black Donnellys,” “No Deal”), Mike Vogel (“The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” “She’t Out of My League”) and Odette Annable Yustman ("Unborn," "You Again").

In the past, Reeves previously directed television shows such as “Felicity,” but he gained some more success and reputation with big screen films by directing the original “Cloverfield” and last year’s “Let Me In.”

“We have a lot of affection for the original and the sequel can’t just be the same thing,” he concluded. “But that is tricky when you need to have a monster destroying stuff once again.

Paramount Pictures will be the distributor for the film and it is scheduled for theater release in 2014.

I am a big fan of the first film, and would love to see a sequel/prequel/something more! I do 100% agree with the above posts though about the whole "shakeycam/found footage" films. Way to many shitty films out there, but when it's done right, it is actually quite good.

Well, you have 2 options- prequel or sequel.  A sequel would be formulaic, since at this point you know what is going on.  But it would make for a kick butt action/horror film.  With a prequel, you are spoiled by knowing what eventually happens, but it could be done in a suspenseful way.

Thats what I was thinking. I can't see how in a prequel there would be much action. Cloverfield Monster destroyed some other city prior to New York, but no one remembers it happening? Maybe a Cloverfield took out the settlement of Roanoke? Which leads me to believe it would have to happen in the Atlantic. Like some kind of submarine attack or underwater research centre. Which does not sound to good. Sequel would be the way to go. Maybe continue the attack, but now we have actual film crews with good cameras filming the event for the news?

If you watched the extras, there was a bit about a mining operation hitting something, and also that last little 'taped' footage about something landing in the water.  They could fold those into a 'Deep Star 6' or 'Leviathan' concept for a prequel.

On the sequel side, it would seem to be hard to keep it out of Godzilla land, unless... they focused on the spidery bug thingies invading.  If someone had a sense of humor they could pit a rubber-suited guy <insert good monster name here> against a CGI Cloverfield for the final battle!

Just take the planned American remake for Big Man Japan, fold that into Cloverfield 2, and bam, Oscar Gold.

I've said all along that the material for a prequel is already there in all of the viral marketing that was used to promote the first movie.  The oil rig, the tanker, the beached whales, the splash in the Conney Island footage could be used to explain the origins of the monster and show the events that led up to its arrival in Manhattan.  We of course know what happend once it got there, but we really don't know what happened before or after, so there are alot of ways they could go with it. 
When I first heard about the new Korean film Sektor 7, I thought it might be releated to Cloverfield since it is about a monster on an oil rig, and since JJ flew to Korea for a secret meeting with the director of the Host in 2009.  But alas,  Joon-ho Bong is not involved and the movie is actually an homage to Alien.