Topic: What are you writing?

Noticed I had a bunch of individual story posts. So here is a fresh thread for everyone to post the short stories they want to share.

Here’s my lastest:
The Witch in the basement /
http://theswollencorpse.blogspot.com/20 … ement.html

Anyone else have any original fiction (links or text) they want to share?

Re: What are you writing?

Nothing I can link to but I have a bunch of different screenplays I'm in various stages of writing; I've never been the type to focus on one project at a time, I almost always have at least a couple going on at any point:

A Dead New World: post-apocalyptic zombie flick; skips back and forth between three non-connecting scenarios -- a group of survivors in a city about six months into the epidemic, a lone survivor travelling across Mexico two years into the epidemic and four friends in Hong Kong trying to buy their way onto a boat with a trunk full of cocaine three days into the epidemic.

Arcanum: An original series I'm currently writing my first episode of.  A pair of FBI agents investigate an incident where dozens of bodies fall to earth from out of nowhere in a small Ohio farming community (called Arcanum -- a real town in Ohio where I lived in my teens).

Mr. Scary:  A child psychologist takes on the case of a child whose negative emotions materialize in the form of a supernatural boogey man she calls Mr. Scary.

House of Vile Spirit: a throw-back to 70s haunted house/ghost movies about a paranormal researchers investigating the site of a Jim Jones-ian mass communal suicide.

Scarred: A woman recently recovered from a heart transplant is stalked by a mysterious figure who wants her heart.

Redemption: a western, the story of which is a bit difficult to explain.  Basically it's about a trio of men who as children survived the destruction of their farming community by murderous bandits, have spent the last twenty years tracking down and killing them, and are now searching for the final one, who has since turned over a new leaf.  Though it's a bit more complicated than that.

I like the Arcanum idea.  Opportunity for horror sci-fi angles.  Mr. Scary looks like it has promise, too.  I've been working on a Tolkien-esque with horror and/or sci-fi elements for years.  A book thing, not a movie.  I keep changing the premise every other year, so I get nowhere, but I really don't care as it's fun for me and I really don't think I could be a professional writer anyway.

LoudLon wrote:

A Dead New World: post-apocalyptic zombie flick; skips back and forth between three non-connecting scenarios -- a group of survivors in a city about six months into the epidemic, a lone survivor travelling across Mexico two years into the epidemic and four friends in Hong Kong trying to buy their way onto a boat with a trunk full of cocaine three days into the epidemic.

This seems really cool Lon.  I see they don't connect, but somehow if they linked together somehow it would be interesting too.  Not sure how that would happen.  I don't really write things like that but wonder if I just committed an irritating act - Making a suggestion on another's writing.

Curious about House Of Vile Spirit.  That sounds like an interesting idea given it's a mass suicide site.  Makes me wonder what is happening there.

Interesting story Swollen.  I identify with that young loner that likes scary things.

I don't have any of my short stories online, though I am working on some larger pieces.

Screenplays: A "Dementia 13" remake.  Loved this film, but felt it could've fleshed out a few things more.

Novels:  "Twilight's Birth" (NOT to be confused with the "Twilight Saga", please people- ugh!) This is actually a 1940's pulp-fiction styled trilogy inspired by characters like The Shadow.  It actually features three "heros" that are inter-related.  I've actually got two more sequal trilogies planned as well: "Twilight's Fall", and "Twilight's Rising".

"The Return of Dr. Nighttime".  Another 1940's/Golden Age of comics super-hero one.  This time the protagonist is a retired supervillian wanting one last caper against his nemesis, and explores the relationships between heros and their villians.

"The Avenger"  The first in a series of 1980's style super hero- and has nothing to do with Marvel's "The Avengers". tongue

"Requiem"  The first in a series of supernatural suspense books about a psychology professor who studies the paranormal... and is haunted by his dead wife.

"Jake Grimm"-  A series of futuristic/1940's style PI retellings of the Grimm Fairie Tales.

Cool portfolios and projects. But does anyone have any FTL writing they would like to share. I thought for sure with all the creativity found on the poetry thread and elsewhere, someone’s gotta have something.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Curious about House Of Vile Spirit.  That sounds like an interesting idea given it's a mass suicide site.  Makes me wonder what is happening there.

yeah I like that one too, very Hell house which is a fav.

TerrorCorner wrote:

"The Return of Dr. Nighttime".  Another 1940's/Golden Age of comics super-hero one.  This time the protagonist is a retired supervillian wanting one last caper against his nemesis, and explores the relationships between heros and their villians.

This sound interesting.  I'm a big fan of deconstructing the superhero/supervillain mythos.  I had a six issue mini-series planned about ten years ago about a superhero coming out of retirement to take down the villain he thought he'd put away for life.  It was really complex and epic in scope; I managed to fit in every hero and villain I'd created in my youth and teens (upwards of a hundred and fifty or so).  It was about redemption, revenge, the generation gap, politically allegorical...but it got TOO complex, so I called it off.  Too much work. lol

swollenguy wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

yeah I like that one too, very Hell house which is a fav.

I'm starting it off with the same premise as a tip of the hat to Hell House (group of experts hired by a dying millionaire to investigate a haunted house) but where it goes after the initial set up is very, very far removed.

Ghostseeker wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

This seems really cool Lon.  I see they don't connect, but somehow if they linked together somehow it would be interesting too.  Not sure how that would happen.  I don't really write things like that but wonder if I just committed an irritating act - Making a suggestion on another's writing.

The only thing that connects one story to the next are certain beats and themes.  The characters in each story don't know each other and never even cross paths, as they're in different parts of the world.  I'd actually considered making this an episodic TV series.  Unlike The Walking Dead, which deals with the same core characters in a progression of time, mine would be more like Tales From the Crypt -- each thirty minute episode could be about anyone, anywhere, on the condition that each story takes place at some point in a three-year space (from the start of the zombie epidemic to the time it dies out) and they all had to follow the slow-moving zombie rule. 

I even wrote three episodes, one set a couple years into the epidemic about a  crotchety old racist barricaded into his house when a lone black survivor comes knocking.  One about a mother who's infant is snatched out of its car seat on day two of the epidemic and the effect it has on her.  And a third about a Canadian father teaching his son how to shoot using zombies as practice. 

But, I decided to stick with a stand alone movie instead, especially now that no matter how different an episodic TV show might be, it would inevitably draw comparison to The Walking Dead.

"Wish You Were Here" a gang of unruly teenagers head out to a Pink Floyd concert in 1975.

Hope it's cool for a new user to chime in:

I'm currently finishing up my latest novel, UGLY AS SIN.  It's not quite horror, but is a tale of dark "Southern noir" in the vein of Joe R. Lansdale.  UGLY AS SIN is the story of Nick "The Widowmaker" Bullman, a professional wrestler who is horribly disfigured after two psychotic fans kidnap and torture him because they think his lifelong "heel" character is real.  And that's just start of Nick's problems, once he gets a call from the daughter he never knew, calling him back to his hometown . . . .

I also just started an apocalyptic novella, a sorta-but-not-really-zombie-tale-with-a-twist tentatively tilted OLDEN.  Pretty excited about that one too.

I'm currently writing a first draft to an alien-invasion horror movie called "Extermination" which pays a tribute/homage to well known alien movies such as Alien, War of the Worlds, Independence Day, Skyline, District 9, Close Encounters, ET, The Thing, etc. The title comes from a line in the movie War of the Worlds when the character Ogividly brings up how the invasion is "an extermination". I'm currently having a hard time developing scene ideas and script writing on my stupid laptops office sofrware but I'm doing the best I can.

Hey, Sam. I just finished up reading your new story. The character description was well done, good word usage, and the story flowed easily. I liked that your characters are young kids. I especially enjoyed the ending, but was a bit curious what happened to Josh in the end, after Dan took off? I think your improving, and would enjoy reading any other original stories you submit. As for critiquing? I don't think it would be right for me to do that. No disrespect, but being that I'm not a writer, I feel that would be better suited for some of our other writers on HM to do that.                                                                                                                Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-03-06 14:13:41)

Thanks UD. I am not looking for a “critique”, just want to know if it was entertaining and or if anything didn’t make sense.

I'm currently writing my phone number on local public restroom walls

I think that's how Kurt Vonnegut got his start

deadhorse13 wrote:

I'm currently writing my phone number on local public restroom walls

I think that's how Kurt Vonnegut got his start

http://www.elistmania.com/images/articles/320/Original/63.jpg

I like your stuff, how was the door man?

I'm inbetween grading papers and inking a couple comic stills I've been working on for about a year

he wasn't all that, I would have been really upset had I paid the usual "entrance fee"

monster_locarb wrote:

I'm inbetween grading papers and inking a couple comic stills I've been working on for about a year

I want to see some comic stills

swollenguy wrote:

Thanks UD. I am not looking for a “critique”, just want to know if it was entertaining and or if anything didn’t make sense.

Yea, it was entertaining and made total sense. Wish I had your talent! Still curious to know what happened to, Josh?

I forgot to mention another one I wrote several years ago but have dusted off and am taking a new stab at.  it's called Fright, about a woman who, following her mother's death, returns to the childhood home she ran away from fifteen years earlier only to be tormented by the vicious spirit of her abusive father.  While most of the horror flicks I write tend to have an old-school feel to them, this one's a straight, full-on throwback to, and is even set in, the 70s.  Especially stuff like The Sentinel, The Haunting and the Mario Bava flick Shock.  Now if only I could straighten out the friggin' first act and punch up the ending a bit...

You all keep writin and I'll keep readin.

Reviews for the show, at least one or two a week. Kinda stuck about something, maybe someone could help me out. Not sure if I should review Night Train Murders next, because it takes place during Christmas, so I could save it for December, but I don't know if I should.