Re: Martyrs - 2008

i loved Martyrs as well, this was a film that literally kept me on the edge of my seat the whole movie, i think the tone and atmosphere of this film was outstanding, a pure emotional rollercoaster and a much higher class of film than Frontier(s) which i thought to be only just ok. Definitely one of the best of the whole french extreme wave thats been happening for the last decade. Inside was also brilliant as was Calvaire, although calvaire is Belgian and not on par in terms of being scary, but my gosh the actor who played Mr Bartel was brilliant and really brought that great character to life, coincidently Benoit Deb the director of photography also worked on Gasper Noe's Irrerversible, which is probably one of the only french horror's(i use that term loosely of course) that surpasses Martyrs.
Which brings my opinion to a full circle.
Fin

Last edited by Docteur Génessier (2011-03-09 12:38:17)

Not bad, very good plot, but I don't like so much this kind of horror. I really prefer High Tension, one of my favorite.

Preferred The HORDE to both Martyrs or Frontiers(s). The two later works have their fans and their foes, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't think The Horde was a rock hard, balls out, zombie film that can compete with the best of them.  The difference is that in The Horde, the characters and the human drama between them is phenomenally well sketched and intriguing... so much so that they easily trump the gore and zombie stuff no matter how amazing it was.  If I were writing a film of this character type and conflict, I would watch the HORDE again just to learn how to write "character". And that's the litmus test for a great horror film. When it's over, the first thing you find yourself reflecting upon are the individual characters and how well you seem to know them and can relate to them, whether they are victims or villains.  Bottom line: the only thing in a horror film (or any film) that really needs to be excessive, is the character work. Everything else is just gravy. I found Matyrs and Frontiers put too much energy into the gravy and not enough into character.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2011-11-02 07:20:13)

For more french horror movies you may want to check out Sheitan. It was really well done.

Bunshinsaba wrote:

Preferred The HORDE to both Martyrs or Frontiers(s). The two later works have their fans and their foes, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't think The Horde was a rock hard, balls out, zombie film that can compete with the best of them.  The difference is that in The Horde, the characters and the human drama between them is phenomenally well sketched and intriguing... so much so that they easily trump the gore and zombie stuff no matter how amazing it was.  If I were writing a film of this character type and conflict, I would watch the HORDE again just to learn how to write "character". And that's the litmus test for a great horror film. When it's over, the first thing you find yourself reflecting upon are the individual characters and how well you seem to know them and can relate to them, whether they are victims or villains.  Bottom line: the only thing in a horror film (or any film) that really needs to be excessive, is the character work. Everything else is just gravy. I found Matyrs and Frontiers put too much energy into the gravy and not enough into character.

I thought that La Horde was a let down, and just okay as far as zombie movies go.  I didn't feel involved in the story or any of the characters, especially after the way it ended.  I thought they spent way too much time on the fight sequences and not enough on the rest of the movie.  In fact, if you watch the special features on the disc, during the interview with the director, he even comments that it was their intention to make a true French zombie film, but realized after completing it, that they had instead made an action movie.  I actually prefered Mutants over La Horde, though I am sure there are those that would not put them in the same boat given the whole infection vs undead argument.

^ I agree, The Horde was a bit of a let down for me also...probably because I let myself get so hyped over it. I liked Mutants quite a bit better also.

Bunshinsaba wrote:

Didn't care a great deal for Martyrs (I posted why earlier in this thread) but I did enjoy Frontiere(s).  I haven't watched La Horde, but your description of the focus on characters has me interested.  I think that's the difference between a horror movie and a GOOD horror movie -- characters you care about, can relate to and be afraid for.

^ I actually completely disagree with Bunshinsaba...to me the characters were just there, not much development nor did they really come off as likable. The excentric old man is the only character I found to be memorable. Like alien said this is more action than horror, as far as zombie movies go its more like Resident Evil than any Romero flick. Not to say I hated it though, it wasn't bad, just slightly disappointing for me.

I have toyed with the idea of watching this for a while. after reading some of the comments here I think I will watch it. Later rather than sooner. Think I need a bit more desensitizing before I see this. I like sMart often miss the point of movies. The only films that have really touched me were all of Shane Meadows work, especially Dead Man's shoes and most recently, Let the Right one in. I recently have found myself craving more drama with horror. There seems to be too much emphasis on gore than on story and effecting the audience. I don't want to see sadism for sadisms sake. I want to see something that cuts me deep but I don't come away from it regretting seeing it. When I first seen Dead Man's shoes I felt sick and wished to god I hadn't watched it. I was so upset by it. A few days later while discussing it with the person who'd reccomended it to me I realised how good a film it was and watched it again. I think this is how I'll feel when I see Martyrs and I think I need to prepare myself for it first.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

^ I actually completely disagree with Bunshinsaba...to me the characters were just there, not much development nor did they really come off as likable. The excentric old man is the only character I found to be memorable. Like alien said this is more action than horror, as far as zombie movies go its more like Resident Evil than any Romero flick. Not to say I hated it though, it wasn't bad, just slightly disappointing for me.

I'll find out one way or the other soon enough; I've DLed it and will be watching it this weekend. big_smile