Topic: Dont you think that Horror Asian Movies Rock?!?!

im a huge fan of asian movies...
I mean, One Missed Call, Oldboy (ok not so horror, but still a great thriller), Shutter, etc, etc...
So people tell me what you think about it, and whats ur favourite ones (or less favourite ones)...!!!

Re: Dont you think that Horror Asian Movies Rock?!?!

I do like a lot of Asian films and catch them as much as possible, unfortunately more often than not forgetting their names in the progress, but the filmaking quality is about 60:40 for good:bad, so definitely a market worth checking out often.

Wow.. I've really dug alot of Asian films so I'll rattle of a couple of my favorite horror movies from the Far East..

Juon
Juon 2
Juon The Grudge
Juon The Grudge 2
Ringu
Ringu 0
A Tale of Two Sisters
Versus
Phone
Marebito
Audition

Just to name a few...

favorites are Juon, A Tale Of Two Sisters, Rampo Noir, Prayer Beads and Jurei. I know a lot of people don't speak highly of jurei but in a lot of places it's very effective. I also saw the new Pang Bros film Recycle and thought that was the best film i've seen in a while.
I like Audition but am hesitant to label it horror.
Marebito started off good but was dissapointed in the end.

What would you label Audition than? I mean the whole intent of the movie is to give you the creeps.. Its far from any other genre of film. It ranked on the AMC's Top 100 Scariest Moments in film.. Just curious as to what you consider it?

I've not seen Jurei simply because the cover art looks like a real rip off of the Ringu and Ju-On..

Asian horror films are the scariest movies out there.  There are so many great ones.

Battle Royale
Ju-On
Ringu
Three Extremes
A Tale of Two Sisters
Abnormal Beauty
Audition
Ichi the Killer
Shutter
The Eye
Versus
One Missed Call
Old Boy
Dark Water

Man.. I'm dieing to see Shutter.. I've heard so much about it and it is supposed to be such a great film but it still hasn't gotten any DVD treatment here yet..

i got it on r1 dvd so it must have

That movie still creeps me out.  You HAVE to check it out Goon.

yep, the only film i have seen since i was a kid that actaully creeped me out and made me shiver

is that jurei film just the same as all the other j horrors?

I've never been a big fan of the Asian horror genre. Though it seems there is alot of Asian horror films worth checking out. I didn't like the ring, but I'll be sure to check out the other stuff you guys have posted. Battle Royale was awesome. Both the movie and the comic series(haven't read the book), but i wouldn't quite consider them horror.

Yea Battle Royale isn't really a horror movie perse.. But I consider the whole situation horrific along with several of the visuals of kids killing each other.. But if I had to suggest one movie for you Leon it would be The Eye.. Its really easy to go to your local rental store and pick it up... It will be in the Foreign section..

How is Battle Royale not a horror movie?  A bunch of kids are sent to an island and are basically told to kill eachother.  They cant escape because the devices around there necks will explode.  They cant just hide, becasue if not everyone is dead by the the deadline, then all the devices on there necks explode.  During the event, kids kill eachother and kids commit suicide with there loved ones.  I consider that one of the most horrific movies I have ever seen.  It is without a doubt a horror movie.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-09-24 10:33:39)

In response to Goon. I would consider it a well made thriller. I would not label it a horror. The film is not MY idea of what constitutes a good horror movie. It's a good suspense/thriller film but not a good horror film. I mean I liked the film Fatal Attraction but wouldn't call it horror. Miike goes over the top but it seems to me to be a parody of a genre. Another example is Ichi the Killer I would call it an over the top Yakuza film not a horror in the classic sense. That would be like calling Aoyama films horror ,they are nothing of the sort. Miike has intensity no matter what genre film he's making but wouldn't say that they are all horrors based on that fact alone.

Forgot. Regarding Jurei in some ways it was more effective than JUON and Ringu. It begins  like a Japanese book from the end and works toward the beginning. The ghosts are similar but the same could be said for a lot of Asian horrors.  I don't know why Ringu was being compared to it except for the ghost the similarity ends there.