Topic: Twin Peaks

I'm twenty years late, but I have just watched Twin Peaks for the very first time.

When the show first aired way back in 1990, I was in the Army.  I remember hearing about it and knew it starred two of my favorite off-beat character actors, Kyle McClachlan and Everett McGill.  But I was so busy doing army things (and chasing skirts after duty hours) that I never got around to checking it out.

So a couple days ago I got my hands on all seven episodes of the first season, and watched them back to back.  And I love it. 

Now, I'm a realist; I'm perfectly aware that anyone who may have watched the show when it first aired twenty years ago might not remember every little detail, but having just seen it I'm high on the show and would love if folks jumped in and started discussing it.  I have the second/final season on standby, but want to put it off until I know whether or not anybody joins in the discussion.  I know it's been a cult favorite for a lot of years now, so I'm sure there's someone out there who can jump in and start discussing it.

That said, if there are any fans of the show, please post your thoughts for the benefits of this newbie Tweaker.

Re: Twin Peaks

Loved TP. I was a bit young when it first aired and the plot was too complex for my understanding at that time. Still, left me with a strage feeling. It was probably Badalamenti's music or just that sensation of presure. Years later, rewatching it, I fell in love. Fun fact: I had a girlfriend who looked very much like Audrey. Lynch really messed with my head.

That's one thing that thus far has really stood out for me in the show --  Sherilynn Fenn.  I've been a fan since I first saw her in The Wraith, but I don't think she's ever looked as downright gorgeous as she did in Peaks.  That's a dame to kill for, right there.

One thing I never knew was that the woman who played McGill's wife in The People Under the Stairs also plays his wife in Twin Peaks.  I didn't recognize her at first due to the eye patch, but when it finally hit me I literally said aloud, "Cool!"

And so far, the unrequited love sub-plot between Audrey and Agent Cooper is my favorite part of the show.  I'm avoiding reading anything about the show online so as not to spoil anything for myself, but I'm interested in seeing if they ever hook up.

I actually just watched all of season one for the first time just recently as well, followed by a good chunk of the second season...then life got in the way. I honestly have to say that season two is where it's at from what I've gotten to see, there's one character that comes in that I've sorta become obsessed with (I'll save that discussion for later though). On a side note: two of my very best friends got married a few years back, she walked down the isle to the main theme from TP.

I haven't seen a single episode. Sounds like I should give it a shot.

Lon, dude i loved that show!  i was such a freak for it. Maven bought me the box set for xmas a few years ago its soooo cool.
btw you meant 7 discs not 7 episodes i hope?

twin peaks was one of the best shows in ages, too bad the typical viewer had to ruin it.

I have both seasons now, but not on disk.  I "acquired" them elsewhere.  Ahem.

Oddly enough, I actually had seen the prequel/conclusion/whatever-it-was movie, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, way back in the mid-90s when I was on a Moira Kelly kick.  I was completely lost; couldn't make heads or tails of it (though I did enjoy seeing Moira Kelly's boobs). 

But now that I'm into season 2 (I went ahead and watched the first eight episodes of despite saying above I was going to wait) and will soon have a copy of Fire Walk to view again.  Hopefully this time I can make heads or tails of it.

There's a feature length pilot that takes place before the first 7 episodes of season one in case you missed it. 

Just started watching this myself a couple weeks ago and have about ten episodes left.  I love just about anything Lynch does.  I'm really surprised this show ever made it on network TV at all as weird and different it is compared to more mainstream fare.  Definitely way ahead of it's time.

the extended pilot is in the gold set i believe, its important to see for the pieces left out of regular broken up pilot

My mistake, I thought this thread was about Adrienne Barbeau

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zydZq2lVnns

I really need to pick up the set.  I've always been curious about TWIN PEAKS, and have friends who swear by it, but believe it or not I've never seen a single episode.

I must remedy that soon.

Hmm, I'm also thinking of start watching the entire series. Once I started to watch the pilot, but it didn't seem that interesting...

Honestly, once the murder is solved halfway through the second season it gets really silly.  I can see why audiences began to tune out and why the show was ultimately cancelled.

But that first season...good, good stuff.  Kyle McClachlan as Agent Cooper is now one of my favorite TV characters ever.

LoudLon wrote:

Honestly, once the murder is solved halfway through the second season it gets really silly.  I can see why audiences began to tune out and why the show was ultimately cancelled.

Really?! Wow...the second half of the second season was where I was starting to really dig it, Earle and the lodges were just awesome and I would have loved to see where they could have taken it if they hadn't had to wrap it up so quick...hmmmm.

I read up on the show after finishing the second season and the reason they solved the murder halfway through was because the TV execs thought viewers were getting antsy waiting for it to be solved.  David Lynch said his intention was, basically, to never have the crime solved.  The investigation would always be there in the background but he wanted the show to be more about the townsfolk and how the murder affected everyone.

It just became a bizarre soap opera after the murder was solved, to me.  The only thing of interest that ever really happened after the murder is solved was the Bob/Mike/Black Lodge stuff which they really only got deeper into near the end of the second season, and which ended very unsatisfactorily. 

Once again, it was a case of an executive sticking his nose into the creative process and totally mucking shit up.

Def a good show Lon...If you havent seen the film "Fire Walk With Me" you need to as it more or less wraps up the series...ala David Lynch...
There was a really cool video game about a year old called Alan Wake...highly reccomend it if you like Twin Peaks..

LoudLon wrote:

I read up on the show after finishing the second season and the reason they solved the murder halfway through was because the TV execs thought viewers were getting antsy waiting for it to be solved.  David Lynch said his intention was, basically, to never have the crime solved.  The investigation would always be there in the background but he wanted the show to be more about the townsfolk and how the murder affected everyone.

It just became a bizarre soap opera after the murder was solved, to me.  The only thing of interest that ever really happened after the murder is solved was the Bob/Mike/Black Lodge stuff which they really only got deeper into near the end of the second season, and which ended very unsatisfactorily. 

Once again, it was a case of an executive sticking his nose into the creative process and totally mucking shit up.

Lynch described the Laura Palma plot as a the trunk of a tree.. and all the subplots as the branches... Without the trunk, the branches had nothing to hold them up... Very true about the show i think, although the last episode is worth getting too...

The end of the series isn't very satisfying and that's why i think we got the movie.. 'Fire Walk With Me' acts as the true resolution to the show, even if it is a prequel.

Funny thing, I actually watched Fire Walk With Me waaaay back in '93 or so, and couldn't make heads or tails of it as I had never watched the TV show.  But after finishing the series a couple months back I watched FWWM again.  And it still leaves the overall storyline frustratingly open.  All FWWM really did was give you Laura Palmer's last days and *hint* at what happened to Agent Cooper, which pissed me off.  I wanted to know, for sure, what happened to him, what happened to Sherilyn Fenn (whose character may or may not have died in the final episode of the show), etc.

Seriously, can't we just get one more episode?  A TV movie, something, that'll tie everything up?  I know it's pretty much inconceivable and will never happen, but you can't blame a brother for wishing.

Yeaah FWWM definitely doesn't tie any story lines up.. But i'm kinda glad in a way cause it isn't Lynches style to just spell everything out.. Instead of explaining what happens, he just makes everything a bit more confusing... A very Lynchesque finale indeed.

Films are one thing.  But a TV show, aimed at a broader audience, demands closure.  It's not his fault the TV show ended the way it did (well, kind of -- he did direct the final episode but by then the writers had driven the show to the point of ludicrousness) but as FWWM was part of the continuing story, it should have had a far less ambiguous ending.  It didn't serve any real purpose other than to frustrate fans of the show that much more, as it didn't even bother trying to tell us what happened to key characters from the show whose fate in the final episode was left in question.  That's not satisfying; it's alienating.

I'm a fan of Lynch, don't misunderstand me.  But in regards to Twin Peaks, I think he owed the fans more than he delivered with the frustrating FWWM.

Well the film is totally different to the show, and it's no wonder many fans of the show hated it when it came out..

Personally i like the way he ended it but i can understand why people needed a sense of closure, after investing so much time in the show...

Why Lynch opted to make FWWM a prequel and not a follow-up is on him, but I do like the movie for what it is -- a peek into the life of Laura Palmer before she's killed.  In that regard, it's a good film.  But what irks me about it is the presence of Agent Cooper.  It had already been established in the TV show that while he may have had a premonition about Laura's murder, he doesn't go to Twin Peaks or, later, meet the Man from Another Place and all that stuff until AFTER Laura's killed, and he's come to town.  I've read some stuff saying it was actually supposed to be a prequel AND a sequel, but in a storyline as convoluted as that of Twin Peaks, all that does is raise more questions than it answers.  And for fans of the show wanting closure, that's just cruel.

Again, I'm a fan of Lynch for the  most part, but he had to know when he made FWWM that he would only be pissing off fans of the show by avoiding the issues it left open, issues he could just as easily have remedied.  Maybe it was his own anger at how the show turned out once the execs stuck their nose in which made him say fuck it and not bother addressing them.  I don't know.  But that doesn't justify leaving the fans hanging. 

At this point I'd be just as happy to see Audrey survived the explosion as I would be to learn she died; I'd be just as happy to see Big Ed and Norma stayed together as I'd be to learn they split up after Nadine got her memory back.  I'd be just as happy to see Agent Cooper escaped from the Black Lodge and saved Laura's soul as I'd be to learn he ends up stuck in the Black Lodge forever.  At least I'd know.   And Lynch had the perfect opportunity with FWWM to provide closure.  That he didn't says more about him than about fans of the show.

At any rate, it's a waste of time to rant about it.  I've already posted somewhere above that if I watch the show again, I won't bother with any episodes which occur after the murder is solved.  At least if the show had ended with that episode there wouldn't have been any loose ends hanging.