Topic: The Dark Knight Rises

I've been a fan of Batman all my life. At daycare when movie time came I picked either Friday the 13th or Batman. Once in a while we'd get to see Batman but never watched Friday the 13th. So when the reboot of Batman came out, I was excited but slightly disappointed with Batman Begins. It wasn't everything I thought it would be. Then The Dark Knight came out and it was like a shotgun blast to my brain in a good way. Its one of my favorite films to watch because of how dark, simple and fantastic it was. Now news comes out of a third film called The Dark Knight Rises, without the Joker (which is no surprise) and no Riddler. I'm wondering who will be the villain in this film? There's plenty to chose from but the way Chris Nolan made this franchise, really I can't see any other villain in this film that will be believable and as dark as the Dark Knight. So what does the horror world think about keeping out the Joker and the Riddler? Do you think Two Face will make a return?

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

no two face will not return he is dead and never coming back and i'm not too surprised about the joker not coming back but the riddler not being in it is extremely surprising to me

Ah, I was never a big fan of The Riddler anyway.  That character was a good fit for the Bruckheimer Batman flicks because he was corny and kind of a one-note guy.

I would love to see The Scarecrow fleshed out into a full-scale villain instead of the supporting character he's been so far.  As a horror geek he was always my favorite Batman villain anyway and the character, if fleshed out and used to his true benefit, would be a natural fit for the darker tone of Nolan's films. 

I don't want to see Bane, I don't want to see Killer Croc and I don't want to see the friggin' Penguin.  I like Killer Croc but he, along with the other two and The Riddler, wouldn't fit with the "real world" feel of Nolan's Batman flicks.

Scarecrow all the way.

It's going to be interesting as more news comes in about the next film. I just hope they don't take a turn for the worse like Batman Forever. Only time will tell.

Nah, Nolan's too intelligent and has too much dignity as a director to scrape the bottom of the barrel like those Bruckheimer Batman flicks.  At the very least, with Nolan involved you can rest assured there will be character development and a smart story.

I have very high hopes for this movie, whoever the villain is. The Dark Knight was just awesome and Christopher Nolan is without a doubt one of the best directors, I'd go as far to say possibly THE best of this generation, in my opinion, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

I don't know about the best of his generation, but he's damn good and that's no  joke.  But as great as his Batman flicks and Inception are, I still think he's yet to top Memento -- and that, for me, is going to take some doing.  That said, I'm very much looking forward to this 3rd Bat flick.  I'm sure it's going to be a winner.

LoudLon wrote:

I don't know about the best of his generation, but he's damn good and that's no  joke.  But as great as his Batman flicks and Inception are, I still think he's yet to top Memento -- and that, for me, is going to take some doing.  That said, I'm very much looking forward to this 3rd Bat flick.  I'm sure it's going to be a winner.

I'll agree with that, I absolutely loved Memento, definitely one of my favorite films ever. The Prestige is a really great one too.

I am waiting for this movie, I will definitely watch the movie......

I've been a huge Batman fan since I could read, and still am. I'm hoping to see Cat Woman in the next one. Considering their history and their obvious attraction. There's a lot there to tell the tale.

Can't wait for this.  I don't really collect comics anymore, but I've been a huge Batman nerd all my life.

Head on over to www.comicbookmovie.com for updates on the new Bats flick.

What we know so far: Anne Hathaway will be playing Cat Woman.  It will also feature Bane (gag, but I'll give Nolan the benefit of the doubt), to be played by Tom Hardy, and Joseph Gordon Levitt has an as-yet unspecified role.  Bale is back, of course, and is said to be training super hard for his final shot in the role.  And it's definite that Aaron Eckhart/Two Face will not be making a return.

I didn't catch the leaked IMAX trailer last night, but hear it will be out sometime this week.

I saw the Trailer yesterday, it was a very interesting and unique way of doing it.  I really didn't get what the movie is about from it though.

What I'm gathering is that Nolan is styling the movie version of Bane to be a distorted mirror image of Batman.  Nolan's already said in interviews that in TDKR, Bane is a member of the League of Shadows (even going so far as to say Bane was one of the warriors present when Bale's Bruce Wayne was being trained by Liam Neeson's R'as Al Ghul).  The opening sequence of the film has been described as being very similar to the opening of Batman Begins, except whereas young Bruce Wayne fell down into a pit, young Bane is seen crawling up out of one.

I despise Bane as a character in the comics, but Nolan (per his usual) is trying something very different and new.  I'm intrigued, and am looking forward to his movie version of Bane.

the new trailer for the dark knight rises, check it out! so bad ass!
http://youtu.be/-yh6SriAjdE

Last edited by shesaid? (2011-12-20 00:51:21)

The trailer I saw in the movie theater seemed like it was a scene from the movie that lasted uncut for 5 minutes or so, then cut away to different scenes.  It was interesting.  Basically, instead of using a bunch of scenes in the preview, it seems they just chose a whole scene and let it play out.

The one you just posted shesaid does look cool.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-12-20 01:07:14)

At this point though...I'm ready to see a trailer with more of Batman in it!  They are focusing on the bad guys.

In a few days it's coming out and I'm so stoked. I am so glad the Bane we're seeing isn't anything like the one in the rediculous 90's one. He seems complex, dark, and sinister and not just some mindless criminal. I have no idea how this will end too, whether or not it will bring more questions, end on a sad note, shocking note, or surprising note. In Nolan we trust.

Nice thread revive Tripod.  I will be a the theater at 6pm Thursday.  I'm going to the AMC Batman IMAX trilogy, nothing like 9 hours in a theater all devoted to Batman!

^  This may be a stupid question JMH, but they are showing the first two Batman's with Bale, then following with the Dark Night (as opposed to showing two of any other of them in the series)?  If so that is bad ass, and sounds like a lot of fun!

Yeah, it is Christopher Nolan's trilogy all in a row

I'm reeeally looking forward to seeing this. I don't think I'll get to see it in cinemas due to my extremely low funds at the moment but if the opportunity arises I'm there.

I always liked batman most as a super hero because he wasn't like other super heros. He wasn't born through a desire to save the world or get the girl. He's much darker and sometimes not seen as a good guy at all. Batman is a more adult super hero compared to Spiderman who is more child friendly. Nolan has really done a great job on the series, a much darker and more complex super hero movie more suitable for adults and horror fans.

As a comic book and movie nerd I'll certainly be checking it out.  Advance reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, saying it sets a high water mark -- no easy task considering the previous Bat-flick was a billion-dollar success and garnered Oscar attention. 

I never liked Bane in the comics but I've been keen on seeing Nolan's take on the character, and reviews state Tom Hardy knocks it out of the park in the role, so, color me stoked.

I can't believe Tom Hardy got ripped for the part, he looks jacked compared to how he looked previously. If Bane breaks Batman's back then I wonder how he's going to do it because I can't picture him knee-slamming Batman's back easily enough to break.