Topic: The Blind Dead Collection

I recently got Amando Ossorio's Blind Dead Collection & have worked my way through the four films & enjoyed the hell out of them, virgin sacrifices, gratuitous nudity, gore & most of all Templar knight zombies. What's not to like.

First up Tombs of the Blind Dead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyTUXUYQ0Q

In the 13Th century there existed a legion of evil knights known as the Templar's, who quested for eternal life by drinking human blood and committing sacrifices. Executed for their unholy deeds, the Templar's bodies were left out for the crows to peck out their eyes. Now, in modern day Portugal, a group of people stumble on the Templar's abandoned monastery, reviving their rotting corpses to terrorize the land.

My favorite of the four, great feel & scenery throughout & genuinely creepy. The set comes with both the English version & Spanish which has more gore & nudity, always a good thing in these kind of movies.

Second, Return of the Evil Dead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOHjVqHXyA

500 years after they were blinded and executed for committing human sacrifices, a band of Templar knights returns from the grave to terrorize a rural Portuguese village during it's centennial celebration. Being blind, the Templar's find their victims through sound, usually the screams of their victims. Taking refuge in a deserted cathedral, a small group of people must find a way to escape from the creatures.

A good follow up but not as good atmosphere as the first, also a little cheesy. High points is there is a fair bit of gore & the village idiot is hilarious. Again it comes with the English & Spanish versions where the Spanish is again gorier & has more nudity.

Third is The Ghost Galleon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yti9wRFPhmA

When a publicity stunt of two models on a boat goes horribly wrong and the two get lost in a fog. They end up on a creaky floating tomb of the blind dead. That's right, these sea going Templar's make short work of the Supermodels and move along. The head of the modeling agency and a group of employees start looking for the babes and too meet the Templar's Pirates. But can they escape the fate of the models or will they too succumb to the monsters of the deep?

Good looking models being hunted on a ghost ship by zombie monks sounds like it has the makings of something great but it falls short of the other movies but that's not to say it wasn't entertaining, It pretty funny throughout mainly cause of the bad dubbing & when you see the Galleon from a distance it's quite clearly a child's toy floating in a sink.  Both English & Spanish version are the same here running time with no alternate scenes.

Last is Night of the Seagulls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5Qn7CXnWg

The Knight Templar's return in this fourth installment of the Blind Dead series. On this outing, the Templar's haunt a fishing village, where they rise seven nights every seven years to claim their sacrificial offerings in return for the safety of the townspeople.

This one is back on form, great atmosphere & story. This is my second favorite of the four & by the end had me wishing their was more of these movies. Again English & Spanish versions are the same running time with no alternative scenes.

One thing about this series of movies is that they are quite original & there hasn't really been anything like them since, but of the virgin sacrifices, everyone of them were stunners & i doubt very much that any of them could have been virgins.

Last edited by ZOMBIE SLASHER (2011-03-12 11:35:46)

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

Judging by the trailers, these look like very fun flicks. I'll keep an eye open for these, thanks for posting the links, Slasher. smile

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

Haven't seen any of them, but I'm very interested.  They all sound really cool.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:

I recently got Amando Ossorio's Blind Dead Collection & have worked my way through the four films & enjoyed the hell out of them, virgin sacrifices, gratuitous nudity, gore & most of all Templar knight zombies. What's not to like.

First up Tombs of the Blind Dead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyTUXUYQ0Q

In the 13Th century there existed a legion of evil knights known as the Templar's, who quested for eternal life by drinking human blood and committing sacrifices. Executed for their unholy deeds, the Templar's bodies were left out for the crows to peck out their eyes. Now, in modern day Portugal, a group of people stumble on the Templar's abandoned monastery, reviving their rotting corpses to terrorize the land.

My favorite of the four, great feel & scenery throughout & genuinely creepy. The set comes with both the English version & Spanish which has more gore & nudity, always a good thing in these kind of movies.

Second, Return of the Evil Dead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOHjVqHXyA

500 years after they were blinded and executed for committing human sacrifices, a band of Templar knights returns from the grave to terrorize a rural Portuguese village during it's centennial celebration. Being blind, the Templar's find their victims through sound, usually the screams of their victims. Taking refuge in a deserted cathedral, a small group of people must find a way to escape from the creatures.

A good follow up but not as good atmosphere as the first, also a little cheesy. High points is there is a fair bit of gore & the village idiot is hilarious. Again it comes with the English & Spanish versions where the Spanish is again gorier & has more nudity.

Third is The Ghost Galleon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yti9wRFPhmA

When a publicity stunt of two models on a boat goes horribly wrong and the two get lost in a fog. They end up on a creaky floating tomb of the blind dead. That's right, these sea going Templar's make short work of the Supermodels and move along. The head of the modeling agency and a group of employees start looking for the babes and too meet the Templar's Pirates. But can they escape the fate of the models or will they too succumb to the monsters of the deep?

Good looking models being hunted on a ghost ship by zombie monks sounds like it has the makings of something great but it falls short of the other movies but that's not to say it wasn't entertaining, It pretty funny throughout mainly cause of the bad dubbing & when you see the Galleon from a distance it's quite clearly a child's toy floating in a sink.  Both English & Spanish version are the same here running time with no alternate scenes.

Last is Night of the Seagulls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5Qn7CXnWg

The Knight Templar's return in this fourth installment of the Blind Dead series. On this outing, the Templar's haunt a fishing village, where they rise seven nights every seven years to claim their sacrificial offerings in return for the safety of the townspeople.

This one is back on form, great atmosphere & story. This is my second favorite of the four & by the end had me wishing their was more of these movies. Again English & Spanish versions are the same running time with no alternative scenes.

One thing about this series of movies is that they are quite original & there hasn't really been anything like them since, but of the virgin sacrifices, everyone of them were stunners & i doubt very much that any of them could have been virgins.

very cool set of movies. loved em for years.. used to see them on tv but never really knew what they were till the dvd age.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

Tombs of the blind Dead didn't do much for me, so I am in no hurry to see the rest.  I may check them out in time.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

Ditto.  I've only seen the first and wasn't overly impressed by it.  I might try the rest of them, maybe, some day, if I can't find anything better to do.  Like randomly masturbate the neighborhood street cats.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

The Creature wrote:

Judging by the trailers, these look like very fun flicks. I'll keep an eye open for these, thanks for posting the links, Slasher. smile

No problem, they are well worth checking out. I've known about them & the set for a few years but  there was always something else to get.

LoudLon, i think i'd rather watch the movies than toss of the neighbourhood cats. lol

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

Don't knock it 'til you try it, daddy-o. big_smile

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

I saw these nearly 20 years ago on VHS and remembered they were a lot of fun. Loved the slo-mo zombie horseback riders. Iconic stuff. How would you personally rank them, 1, 2, 3.. etc as your favs?

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

Bunshinsaba wrote:

I saw these nearly 20 years ago on VHS and remembered they were a lot of fun. Loved the slo-mo zombie horseback riders. Iconic stuff. How would you personally rank them, 1, 2, 3.. etc as your favs?

I'd say
Tombs of the Blind Dead
Night of the Seagulls
Return of the Blind Dead
The Ghost Galleon

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

I have the box set and yeah there cool spanish flicks, but when I found out that Return of The Evil Dead was the cut version by about 3 min I had to seek out the uncut and found it. I hate cut versions. Why Anchor Bay would release a cut version is beyond me.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

DemonToSome wrote:

I have the box set and yeah there cool spanish flicks, but when I found out that Return of The Evil Dead was the cut version by about 3 min I had to seek out the uncut and found it. I hate cut versions. Why Anchor Bay would release a cut version is beyond me.


Good info to know. Cheers. Was it cut gore stuff, or cut dialogue stuff?

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

I have this set as well.  I have watched the dubbed versions.   I was told recently to watch the subtitled versions instead.  He said they were completely different?

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

DemonToSome wrote:

I have the box set and yeah there cool spanish flicks, but when I found out that Return of The Evil Dead was the cut version by about 3 min I had to seek out the uncut and found it. I hate cut versions. Why Anchor Bay would release a cut version is beyond me.

That's a different box set, there are two, i have the Blue Underground one which has both Spanish & English versions & yes DirtyGirl the Spanish versions are different with more violence, gore & nudity. smile

Last edited by ZOMBIE SLASHER (2011-03-14 07:57:16)

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

heaps of atmosphere in all the Blind Dead films.  Tombs is probably my fave as well, but they all have some sublime moments if you can get past the languid pacing.  The Spanish prints are definitely superior to the English cuts.  The Blue Underground releases are def. the way to go.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

LoudLon wrote:

Ditto.  I've only seen the first and wasn't overly impressed by it.  I might try the rest of them, maybe, some day, if I can't find anything better to do.  Like randomly masturbate the neighborhood street cats.

I don’t understand the choice given here, there’s no reason one can’t toss off a cat while enjoying a great midnight movie.

Now if you were talking about giving a pack mule a rusty trombone, which takes a concentration and dexterity that really precludes you from enjoying cinema. then you would have to choose the preferred activity.

Personally I like these movies, while fingering a ferret or not.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:
DemonToSome wrote:

I have the box set and yeah there cool spanish flicks, but when I found out that Return of The Evil Dead was the cut version by about 3 min I had to seek out the uncut and found it. I hate cut versions. Why Anchor Bay would release a cut version is beyond me.

That's a different box set, there are two, i have the Blue Underground one which has both Spanish & English versions & yes DirtyGirl the Spanish versions are different with more violence, gore & nudity. smile

Pretty sure then that I saw the cut english version of Tombs, as it was dubbed with no nudity or gore to speak of.  Sounds like I will need to seek out the Spanish version and give it a watch.  Thanks all for the info.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

I've only seen the 1st one, and I liked it.  For kicks I checked Amazon, and they have the Blue Underground version for US$30; not bad, stuck it on my list for future purchases.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

I have yet to see any of them,

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:
DemonToSome wrote:

I have the box set and yeah there cool spanish flicks, but when I found out that Return of The Evil Dead was the cut version by about 3 min I had to seek out the uncut and found it. I hate cut versions. Why Anchor Bay would release a cut version is beyond me.

That's a different box set, there are two, i have the Blue Underground one which has both Spanish & English versions & yes DirtyGirl the Spanish versions are different with more violence, gore & nudity. smile

After I posted that I remembered blueunderground released the uncut version also. I had the anchor bay set first and found out Return was cut so I searched for the uncut version online and bought it... then blueunderground released the set including that uncut version.
Sorry for the fuck up.

Re: The Blind Dead Collection

The one I bought separatly is Return of The Evil Dead (Fully UNCUT Restored version) and I bought it from a very good source, if ya all remember MIDNIGHT VIDEO who are now into making their own DVDs. Shit they had lots of shit but great quality was the main thing. They only have one right now but I have hIHG hopes they will give us shit that isnt available. Their first one I might buy just to keep them alive, its now Midnight legacy. I know the ywill deliver well they better since we all are waiting and depending on them