Topic: The Black Swan

Has anyone picked this one up yet?

Re: The Black Swan

Didn't buy it, but rented it and watched it last night. It was as good as advertised, and a more. Easy to see why Portman won an Oscar for her portrayal/acting. 8/10

Ive kind of been holding out on seeing this movie even though a lot of my friends have told me they liked it...I just don't know if I can hang with the subject matter...

I plan on buying a copy soon. It's a masterpiece IMO.

More than likely I will be picking it up. Though I wouldn't really call it a horror movie.

I am still on the fence about seeing this movie...

I'd check it out if only for the direction, editing and cinematography. Without those elements the story would have been really boring.

^And for a fella by the name of Vicent Cassel who happens to be in the movie.  He is awesome in everything he does.  Not to mention a very creepy portrayal of Portman's mother by Barbara Hershey.  Horror or not, it is an excelent movie and well worth checking out.

Last edited by alien25 (2011-03-31 18:23:44)

I saw Cassel as a total dick, just trying to seduce so that he could get a little on the side. Af for Hershey, she gave me chills. She reminded of Mommy Dearest; somebody who was so emotionally unstable.

I plan on watching by myself with my “special” popcorn tub.

I liked this one.  I really did.  But I thought it was a tad overrated -- not a lot of actual *plot*, IMO. 

Again:  I did like it.  Enjoyed seeing it at the theater with the wife.  But I don't know if I really have any desire to ever see it again.

Last edited by J.N. (2011-04-02 20:07:35)

J.N. wrote:

I liked this one.  I really did.  But I thought it was a tad overrated -- not a lot of actual *plot*, IMO. 

Again:  I did like it.  Enjoyed seeing it at the theater with the wife.  But I don't know if I really have any desire to ever see it again.

Yeah, all the rave reviews made this seem like it was the greatest film ever made... ever. I'm very lucky I saw it before everyone began praising it. It's not a movie that you would want to watch over and over but a film that you can watch maybe once every year or so. I felt the same way about The Departed.

Finally watched it yesterday.  It was really good.  It reminded me of Chasing Sleep or The Machinist.  It was hard to tell what was real or a dream (delusion).

I liked it.. was different. somber . I felt for the character Nina.  So unable to stand up for herself and hating herself for it. willing to make leaps to break her own patterns. to be liberated  and at the same time terrified of the changes that were a result.  slow descent into one woman's madness..

I just wish Winona Ryder's {cough} Az {cough} character could have gotten more screen time

I just watched it yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. But like J.N. said I probably won't be watching it again.

Xtro wrote:

I saw Cassel as a total dick, just trying to seduce so that he could get a little on the side. Af for Hershey, she gave me chills. She reminded of Mommy Dearest; somebody who was so emotionally unstable.

Hershey was fantastic!  Cassell is money.  Been my favorite actor for some time now and had no idea going into Black Swan that he was in it.  I thought it was a great film - very Polanski-ish if you ask me.  And I never was big on Portman, but she totally sold it for me here.

and I think Cassell's character, although not above that kind of behavior, wasn't REALLY trying to seduce her - he was just trying to channel her "baser urges" if you will, which had been horribly, horribly repressed

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-04-04 18:55:44)

Saw it last night and thought it was just a bit better than ok.  Worth seeing.

LOL, guess I'm odd man out.  I thought this was one of the worse movies I've seen in a long, long, time.

Haven't watched it yet.  I'm already back-logged on unwatched movies, not looking to add another to the list.

LoudLon wrote:

Haven't watched it yet.  I'm already back-logged on unwatched movies, not looking to add another to the list.

What's all on that list?

Oh, geez.  Let's see:

[REC]
Babysitter Wanted
Just Before Dawn
Masters of Horror seasons 1-2
Season of the Witch (Romero)
Possession
Fritt Vilt (Cold Prey)
Storm Warning
The Loved Ones
Horror of Dracula
The House with Laughing Windows
After Midnight
American Nightmare
Dream Home
Grapes of Death
House on Sorority Row
Moon
The Haunting in Connecticut

Among others. hmm

LoudLon wrote:

Oh, geez.  Let's see:

[REC]
Babysitter Wanted
Just Before Dawn
Possession
Fritt Vilt (Cold Prey)
Storm Warning
The Loved Ones
Horror of Dracula
After Midnight
American Nightmare
Dream Home
Grapes of Death
House on Sorority Row
Moon

Among others. hmm

Nice list...I watched After Midnight not that long ago,  the best story was the last one with Marg Helgenberger

deadhorse13 wrote:
Xtro wrote:

Hershey was fantastic!  Cassell is money.  Been my favorite actor for some time now and had no idea going into Black Swan that he was in it.  I thought it was a great film - very Polanski-ish if you ask me.  And I never was big on Portman, but she totally sold it for me here.

and I think Cassell's character, although not above that kind of behavior, wasn't REALLY trying to seduce her - he was just trying to channel her "baser urges" if you will, which had been horribly, horribly repressed

It's interesting that you brought up Polanski because the minute I walked out of the theater I turned to my friend and told him that it reminded me of his visual style and direction. Cassell probably wasn't trying to seduce her but... I initially thought he was. I always knew that Portman could be something but those damn Star Wars movies really put a dent in her acting career. So glad that she's out of that phase.

DirtyGirl wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Oh, geez.  Let's see:

[REC]
Babysitter Wanted
Just Before Dawn
Possession
Fritt Vilt (Cold Prey)
Storm Warning
The Loved Ones
Horror of Dracula
After Midnight
American Nightmare
Dream Home
Grapes of Death
House on Sorority Row
Moon

Among others. hmm

Nice list...I watched After Midnight not that long ago,  the best story was the last one with Marg Helgenberger

Funny thing is, the older movies?  I wouldn't be surprised if I have already seen one or more of them and simply forgot.  You've gotta figure I've seen, literally, thousands of different movies over the last few decades, and as good as my memory is, it's not infallible.

Man, what I would give for an eidetic memory.  Then I'd never have to worry about inadvertently re-watching a movie that I forgot sucked. lol