Re: The Human Centipede (First Sequence)

This movie isn't disturbing at all. I just actually re-watched it last night for the 3rd time and the bandages are still covering the good parts lol

I don't know why they just didn't rip themselves apart either. No matter what it's gonna die in no time anyways, if you want to get technical about it the ones after the first aren't getting water and we all know we need water to at least survive for a while and lol shit isn't very nourishing well thats what I've heard anyways...

I did not like this movie. I thought Dieter Laser was great and all but it was just sickening. It wasn't horror, it wasn't shocking and it wasn't well made. I originally liked it but after seeing it again, it's just... slightly below average. I thought the hype killed it. The filmmakers seemed to have wanted to deliberately make something controversial and not something that scares.

Haven't seen it yet.  Oh, hey, it's on instant watch at Netflix.  Queue that sucker up.  Don't really have high hopes, though.  But it's one of those things a genre fan must see, I suppose.

But it's not really horror though... it's just gross and awkward. It doesn't scare you until Dieter flips a shit at the end.

alien25 wrote:

Lon, for all of the hype about it being one of the most disturbing movies ever, it did not come anywhere close to living up to that tag.  And when you think about it, the idea of attaching people anus to mouth is not so much disturbing as it is silly.  I mean it doesn't take a supposed brilliant surgeon to know what is going to happen to the people unfortunate enough to be at the end of the line, especially after you've tried it with dogs and failed.  So what's the point?  However, I will say that the actor who plays the doctor is very good, the best part of the movie imo.  But the rest was really kind of silly and didn't do much for me.

Not to come off all macho but dude, I've been in combat.  It's going to take more than a mouth stitched to an asshole to disturb me. lol

That said, it just doesn't interest me.  I can't imagine it playing out in a way that would involve me in its story in any way.  But, that's usually the case with films with no intention other than to shock.

Oh well, I watch a lot of stuff I'd normally not just so I know what the hell I'm talking about.  Pretending to be a movie reviewer is hard work.

azathoth wrote:

Oh well, I watch a lot of stuff I'd normally not just so I know what the hell I'm talking about.  Pretending to be a movie reviewer is hard work.

Practice makes perfect. I pretend to review movies... and people think I'm legit.

Several years ago I was a staff reviewer for a site called zombiekeeper.com (along with 42nd Street Freak, as a matter of fact) and routinely got stuck with screeners of movies I had absolutely no interest in seeing, but was obliged to watch and review. 

It got to the point where I resented the webmaster for sending them to me to begin with.  Sure, they may have been free movies but they were also horrible crap I wouldn't force on my worst enemy.  I got tired of subjecting myself to shit for other people's benefit.  And after a while I just decided, fuck it.  Send them to someone else.  If people want to know if the movie's any good, let THEM go watch it.  Ultimately I ended up losing interesting in reviewing altogether.  Luckily, the site shut down before I was able to build the nerve to tell the webmaster I was done. lol

Point is, if you're going to review a movie, don't subject yourself to crap you know you're not going to like.  There are plenty of others out there who can and will do that.

HowCan you not want freebees? I think I did a 5review of this I might be mistaken but I think I did. and no one made me watch it I keep watching shite and its non ending but I dont review anymore. Thats one thingI gonna start doing again is give my spew on what I see.
But anyways since this is that... and the next I am keen on they ar noy disturbibing its an internet bullshit to ge t the freaks to buy when in actuallity it is nothing moer then your average dtv sleaze

Well, when the freebies you get are amateurish crap like, say, Them Damn Zombies! Or The Risen.  Or Mr. Irish.  Or straight to video suckies like Wolf Hound.  Or Shadowbuilder.  Or She-Creature -- yeah, you don't so much care if they're freebies anymore. lol

I recieved only a very small handful of screeners during the five years I reviewed for that site that impressed me. 

Freez'er - a noir thriller with a horror movie tilt by a very talented husband/wife team named Brian and Laurence Avenet-Bradley.  Very good film, solidly acted, with some genuine moments of suspense and some haunting imagery.

Ghost of the Needle - another film by the same husband/wife team about a serial killer who drugs and photographs his victims.  Like Freez'er it was surprisingly suspenseful and at moments, downright harrowing.

Siege of the Dead -- a digitally-shot Zombie short film that blows away most big-budget zombie flicks.  Very well acted by its amateur cast, with plenty of well-executed action and some surprisingly sophisticated home-made digital FX.  Not to be mistaken by another flick called Siege of the Dead which has come out more recently; this was an amateur effort by a filmmaker in Georgia.  I would have loved to have seen what he could have done with some real money.

And that's about it.  Of the almost three dozen screeners I was sent, these were the only three which didn't make me wish I hadn't bothered.

The thing is, I like reviewing the crap movies; for Jabootu's sake, I reviewed Winterbeast willingly.  It's things that generate a lot of buzz that I need to watch just to be conversant.  Not necessarily to review it, but to have a familiarity with it.  I have a reputation, of sorts, to keep up.  Matter of pride, really.

That sounded like a whole bunch of Freudian BS, didn't it?  lol

I wasn't going to say anything... lol

http://badtzmarucy831.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/human-centipede-385-240.jpg

Last edited by Xtro (2011-03-26 23:16:32)

It really should have been called the Human Millipede, centipedes have two limbs per segment where as millipedes have four.
This movie was rubbish I thought, it was the equivalent of Snakes On a Plane, gained notoriety for its premise alone but ultimately didn't deliver.

Docteur Génessier wrote:

It really should have been called the Human Millipede, centipedes have two limbs per segment where as millipedes have four.
This movie was rubbish I thought, it was the equivalent of Snakes On a Plane, gained notoriety for its premise alone but ultimately didn't deliver.

Very, very, VERY true. But then again, Snakes didn't take itself too seriously whereas Human Centipede tried to be disturbing.

Xtro wrote:

I did not like this movie. I thought Dieter Laser was great and all but it was just sickening. It wasn't horror, it wasn't shocking and it wasn't well made. I originally liked it but after seeing it again, it's just... slightly below average. I thought the hype killed it. The filmmakers seemed to have wanted to deliberately make something controversial and not something that scares.

I thought it was horror, but I agree that the filmmakers became too interested in their creature and not enough in the themes they sketched out. There were moments where you could see how the Dieter character could have been more well developed, where you learned something about the other centipede victims that could have been telling in whether they could survive such an atrocity. But none of it ever developed.

It takes real skill to pull off something that is this superficially and deeply controversial, and make it into a real work of art. They didn't have the skill. And maybe not the interest, but I think they were trying, they just couldn't pull it off.

dar wrote:
Xtro wrote:

I thought it was horror, but I agree that the filmmakers became too interested in their creature and not enough in the themes they sketched out. There were moments where you could see how the Dieter character could have been more well developed, where you learned something about the other centipede victims that could have been telling in whether they could survive such an atrocity. But none of it ever developed.

It takes real skill to pull off something that is this superficially and deeply controversial, and make it into a real work of art. They didn't have the skill. And maybe not the interest, but I think they were trying, they just couldn't pull it off.

I can agree with this. The filmmakers obviously knew that they had a creature that hasn't been done or shown yet so they were only fascinated on showing it. Dieter could have been one of the greatest horror villains but he wasn't fleshed out enough. As Lon said, it should have been about the subtext and not what is presented right in front of you.

Xtro wrote:

Haha, saw this last night via Google images. Great picture! One of the most diabolical villains I've seen in a long time. Great flick!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zLVJerNm_LQ/TLPR-ToClxI/AAAAAAAAA5c/t0Srxho-K2w/s1600/Horrorfind2010-HumanCentipedeDolls.jpg

jeffghoul wrote:
Xtro wrote:

Haha, saw this last night via Google images. Great picture! One of the most diabolical villains I've seen in a long time. Great flick!

The dr. was diabolical no doubts but for a doctor he never put much thought into it... like how long will it live! It won't live long no matter even if it was only 2 humans. How will the sucker after the first get water... the supplier of life hmm so it doesnt matter how long the next crazy doctor makes his centipede, its only a matter of time for the poor thing to die.

DemonToSome wrote:

How will the sucker after the first get water... the supplier of life

Watery diarrhea . . . .

now,now, to be fair.. there ARE some human centipedes that aren't so bad and all without the need of surgery..

just see for yourself :

http://thebodycount.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/sexipede-300x200.jpg

MistressOf Horror wrote:

now,now, to be fair.. there ARE some human centipedes that aren't so bad and all without the need of surgery..

just see for yourself : {snip}

I call that "Thursday night."  big_smile

lol       and twice on Sunday !!

I'm fully Up to be in Mistress' pede