Topic: HM [Now Virtual, Maybe] HorrorFest 2011

OK, I and a few others want to try to do a 'B-Fest' type of thing.  The idea is to get together, preferably (via Ghosty) in a wooded area and hang for a weekend watching our favorite movies and chatting.

First- we need to know who might be interested.
2nd- we need to know where those who are interested are located so we can find some central-ish location
3rd- preferable time of said 'fest'
4th- need to vote on movies to be viewed
5th- What the hell am I getting myself into?!?!?!?

So, if anyone has an interest in such a thing, at this point just drop a note saying something like "Yes!  I want to spend a weekend with a crazy monkey guy!"  [edit- I won't bring my knife wielding monkey]

Details can come later.  But for myself to be involved it has to be near-ish the east coast of North America.  Canada is fine, I have my passport.  No way I'm going to Mexico, though.  You Brits/Aussies, sorry, I can't pay the airfare to get to your backwater countries ( big_smile )

HM bosses, I'm not meaning to step on your feet(s).  Somehow I doubt this will get pulled off, but let me/Ghosty know if you'd like to try it.

I'd love to get a group together just to BS about the genre all night long, but intentions are great, execution is hard.  Just let me/us know if you have any semi-serious interest.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-04-02 20:03:51)

Re: HM [Now Virtual, Maybe] HorrorFest 2011

First it's a 'sticky', then not, then again....

Ah, what the heck is going on with this thread?  Did I offend somebody?

Last edited by azathoth (2011-04-02 03:25:18)

Hell, I got two weeks of vacation time and another two weeks of sick time...I was gonna spend it in the Badlands this summer, but something tells me this could be MUCH more amusing...

And the spreadsheet is started....

azathoth wrote:

[edit- I won't bring my wife wielding monkey]

Uhhhhh.....no, you know what, nevermind.

Edit: Meaning I don't want know what that means, not that I'm not still interested...

Last edited by askani-son (2011-04-02 03:41:23)

"Knife wielding monkey"!  I meant knife, not wife!  Oh shit, this is off to a great start....

Guess what, I threw up a quicky site for comments at-
http://hmhorrorfest2011.wordpress.com/

(no, there are no knife wielding wives there... smile  )

azathoth wrote:

First it's a 'sticky', then not, then again....

Ah, what the heck is going on with this thread?  Did I offend somebody?

The sticky is a glitch. It marks the most recently commented threads as  stickies then as new threads get commented on it all changes.
No offense made no conspiracy no need to panic.

This idea has been floating around for years but it never seems to happen.  It would be great if it actually did.  smile

But I won't come.  You people are weird.

wink

This is a great idea and sounds fun.  I know these things rarely get pulled off.  Almost has a Stephen King-ish fell to it too you know?  People from a horror site, that never met, get together to spend the night in the woods.  King frequently has that - people are drawn together for some reason - theme to some of his stories.

All seriousness, I doubt something like this would happen, but I would be interested.  Although, given the hour this idea was concieved, not sure about the sobriety in its creation.  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-04-02 11:41:48)

Id be interested but I beleive the majority of you don't even live in the US...

^Making it even more fun!  People from all over the world participating.  I would love to be a part of it, even if it can't be pulled off.

I would be interested. May through August are slower months for me, I could take time off easy. Other times of year, I could probably do it if it was over a weekend. Not Halloween weekend, though, that's sort of sacred in my family, gotta be there. Anyplace in US/Canada is fine.

If you want a place to put a "vote for movies" submission, I have the space and the software from my site.

Great idea, az. I really hope it turns into something.

I'll also suggest, if people are not able to travel, an HM weekend via chat. I have the software and space to host something like that, too.

PS: Just offering resources because I have them and think this would be neat Not trying to horn in on az's idea. If you didn't want or need them, that'd be fine!

Last edited by dar (2011-04-02 13:18:13)

dar wrote:

I'll also suggest, if people are not able to travel, an HM weekend via chat. I have the software and space to host something like that, too.

PS: Just offering resources because I have them and think this would be neat Not trying to horn in on az's idea. If you didn't want or need them, that'd be fine!

I like your ideas!  I think I can do some hosting too, maybe

And Ghosty, you forget, I drink tea, not the Jack.  tongue

But seriously, the biggest issue would be figuring out an actual place to congregate, since I only know where a few of you live.  Like New York, PA, Maryland, Ohio, Illinois, N. Carolina, (no West Virginia, too 'Deliverance-y'), somewhere near Niagra Falls....

Like I said, I'm basically US East coast bound, so that kicks a lot of people out (sorry!).  I'm willing to give it a go.

moviemaven wrote:

This idea has been floating around for years but it never seems to happen.  It would be great if it actually did.  smile

But I won't come.  You people are weird.

wink

Monkey hug.  tongue

(Weird my ass, you haven't even seen my porcupine mullet collection yet....)

^^ That's way cool of you to offer, dar! And I like the chat  idea too. I think something else that would be fun, if it ended up going via chat room, would be to all watch the same movie, at the same time. maybe stop the movie at certain times ( every 30 min?) to ring in about what we liked/disliked. As the movie progressed we could then all put in our thoughts on different aspects of that movie. Just a thought.

That's an awesome idea, Underdog, even in addition to.  That's something we could do anytime.  smile

^only if it's video chat, I want to see the porcupine mullets!

Love the idea. I would be willing to participate depending on the meeting location.

I think the idea of watching a movie together would be fun--or we could all watch the same movie and then have a chat about it. The one problem with watching together is that everyone has to start at the same time. If we picked a movie and let people watch it ahead of time, we wouldn't have that problem. But it might not be as fun and spontaneous.

This looks like a non-starter.  Too bad.  sad

i for one like the idea but considering how spread out we are I dont know how we will pull it off. Perhaps we need to hold a virtual film festival? One where we all set a day watch a group of flicks and then discuss them as  a group. Them HM Virtual Film fest smile

Meh wrote:

i for one like the idea but considering how spread out we are I dont know how we will pull it off. Perhaps we need to hold a virtual film festival? One where we all set a day watch a group of flicks and then discuss them as  a group. Them HM Virtual Film fest smile

A little videoconferencing thing?  dar mentioned he could set up something like that.  Don't know if Skype can handle multiple streams. 

OK peoples!  New idea- virtual HorrorFest!

Ran across this

http://www.oovoo.com/

Meh wrote:

Sounds like a great idea