Re: Which french flick is better?

^Olyphant is a good actor, but as a big fan of the vidoe games, just wasn't right at all for that part. Not even close. And Gen's probably was so much to blame for the movie being Bad as it was the writers. I went into that movie expecting to see one of the best action movies in years, so to say I was dissapointed is an understatement!

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2011-01-17 23:50:33)

while we're on the subject of French horror
Eyes Without A Face, anyone?  recognize  smile

I really, really wanted to like La Horde but just found it to be kind of going nowhere.  A ton of shit happened but nothing really seemed to happen.  It reminded me of a group of video game cut-scenes.  Now, being a fan of video games, that part was okay with me.  I really loved the scene in the parking garage.  But other than that, I don't get the hype.  We spent the entire movie attempting to get out of a building which would really only lead to certain death.  Didn't make much sense to me. 

But here are my faves:

Inside
Martyrs
Ils
High Tension (until Aja fucked it all up at the end)
Frontiers

Inside and Martyrs are really too close to call.  I love them both so much that I can't choose a number one.  But they are equally brutal and that's good stuff.

*HIGH TENSION SPOILERS AHEAD*

Upon thinking some I decided to add this bit to explain how I think Aja "fucked it all up."  Here I am watching this cool flick in the theater with subtitles.  I'm digging the fact that 1)it got a wide release and 2) it's balls to the wall brutality.  I mean this guy is no freakin joke.  And where else have you seen a decapitated blow job?  Hot damn!  Then...then...Aja (I'm not a fan anyway but this was before I decided that) decides to pull the wool out from under us and say "just kidding" on the mean, killer guy.  WTF?  I was invested in that character.  He was one scary dude.  And now you're telling me he's not REAL?  So I watch it again and call bullshit.  I don't buy it for a second.  That film did not require some ending involving psychoses other than those possessed by the scary dude, especially one that feels tacked on for no good reason other than an attempt at depth.  She's not scary at all.  But worst of all, the decapitated blow job scene is now completely pointless.  Thanks for the kick to the nards, Aja.  Next time just let it lie.  Simplicity can be a very good thing.  Boo.

But, as always, that is only my opinion.  For those who enjoyed it I'm happy (and apparently channeling Yoda lol).  We, as fans, love many different things about the genre and that is what makes it so perfect.

La Horde was pretty damn shallow, but at least it was a blast to look at

deadhorse13 wrote:

La Horde was pretty damn shallow, but at least it was a blast to look at

At least the one scene was.  Other than that, I got nothin.  But you're allowed to disagree with me on occasion.  I have a punch card with your name on it just for that purpose.  You've used it up for the next year*, though, so tread lightly.  wink

*see that's funny because it's only the middle of January.  Get it?  tongue

I'll do my best to stay in compliance, my dear LOL

I really dug the first zombie attack
totally made me feel like a gamer for a minute

moviemaven wrote:

I really, really wanted to like La Horde but just found it to be kind of going nowhere.  A ton of shit happened but nothing really seemed to happen.  It reminded me of a group of video game cut-scenes.  Now, being a fan of video games, that part was okay with me.  I really loved the scene in the parking garage.  But other than that, I don't get the hype.  We spent the entire movie attempting to get out of a building which would really only lead to certain death.  Didn't make much sense to me. 

But here are my faves:

Inside
Martyrs
Ils
Frontiers

Inside and Martyrs are really too close to call.  I love them both so much that I can't choose a number one.  But they are equally brutal and that's good stuff.

Upon thinking some I decided to add this bit to explain how I think Aja "fucked it all up."  Here I am watching this cool flick in the theater with subtitles.  I'm digging the fact that 1)it got a wide release and 2) it's balls to the wall brutality.  I mean this guy is no freakin joke.  And where else have you seen a decapitated blow job?  Hot damn!  Then...then...Aja (I'm not a fan anyway but this was before I decided that) decides to pull the wool out from under us and say "just kidding" on the mean, killer guy.  WTF?  I was invested in that character.  He was one scary dude.  And now you're telling me he's not REAL?  So I watch it again and call bullshit.  I don't buy it for a second.  That film did not require some ending involving psychoses other than those possessed by the scary dude, especially one that feels tacked on for no good reason other than an attempt at depth.  She's not scary at all.  But worst of all, the decapitated blow job scene is now completely pointless.  Thanks for the kick to the nards, Aja.  Next time just let it lie.  Simplicity can be a very good thing.  Boo.

But, as always, that is only my opinion.  For those who enjoyed it I'm happy (and apparently channeling Yoda lol).  We, as fans, love many different things about the genre and that is what makes it so perfect.

Nothing but respect, Mave -- I know I don't even have to say that -- but I don't understand how her having a split personality was a cheat.  The mean truck driver was real.  To her.  We watch characters in films struggle with different aspects of themselves all the time, the only difference here being that Aja chose to show us this visually rather than to have the character internalize it.  What she does in this flick is what a good amount of serial killers do;  their rational mind, unable to accept the evil they perpetrate, creates a separate identity to take the blame, thereby absolving the rational personality of guilt.

That Marie only saw the trucker as part of her psychotic state, and that Alex didn't see him at all, didn't make him any less of a threat to either.  The danger he posed to both was very real.  If in her delusional state the trucker had killed Marie, "Marie" would have ceased to exist.  If while in her delusional state the trucker had succeeded in killing Alex, Alex would, of course, also be dead. 

The John Cusack flick Identity, which received almost unanimous praise from horror fans, used the exact same twist, and that guy had TEN different personalities.  Folks accepted the multiple personality angle in that flick; why can't they accept it in this one?

^I agree, i didn't mind the ending. Good point about Identity but it is a little more confusing the Aja layed it out in High Tension. It certainly left me scratching my head for while at the end.

LoudLon wrote:
moviemaven wrote:

But here are my faves:

Inside
Martyrs
Ils
Frontiers

Nothing but respect, Mave -- I know I don't even have to say that -- but I don't understand how her having a split personality was a cheat.  The mean truck driver was real.  To her.  We watch characters in films struggle with different aspects of themselves all the time, the only difference here being that Aja chose to show us this visually rather than to have the character internalize it.  What she does in this flick is what a good amount of serial killers do;  their rational mind, unable to accept the evil they perpetrate, creates a separate identity to take the blame, thereby absolving the rational personality of guilt.

That Marie only saw the trucker as part of her psychotic state, and that Alex didn't see him at all, didn't make him any less of a threat to either.  The danger he posed to both was very real.  If in her delusional state the trucker had killed Marie, "Marie" would have ceased to exist.  If while in her delusional state the trucker had succeeded in killing Alex, Alex would, of course, also be dead. 

The John Cusack flick Identity, which received almost unanimous praise from horror fans, used the exact same twist, and that guy had TEN different personalities.  Folks accepted the multiple personality angle in that flick; why can't they accept it in this one?

Nope didnt like it there either. the only place I liked it and felt it worked well was Fight Club.

And since I am tiered off ranting why this type of ending is a copout here’s a different rant:
why have we allowed movies to let us believe multiple personalities work like that anyway. It’s kinda like how because of movies we believe everyone can be knocked out with a quick blow to the head, stay out for a long period, and wake up every time with no ill effects.

I'm in the High Tension ending hate club myself - and I'm generally not a fan of any film that chalks up ALL the events we've seen to psychosis or a dream or anything like that.  I think it's far more compelling (and better storytelling) if reality and the imaginary are intermixed.  I've actually known a few people with thin grasps on reality and that's far more realistic of the way it works.  Now of course this is all relative to the particular film and its premise/conceit, but for the most part that's the way I see things.

And, although I do like the film, I'll be all too glad to knock Identity down a peg too LOL

swollenguy wrote:

why have we allowed movies to let us believe multiple personalities work like that anyway. It’s kinda like how because of movies we believe everyone can be knocked out with a quick blow to the head, stay out for a long period, and wake up every time with no ill effects.

Because multiple personalities do work like that.  Trust me; in the ten years I worked with the homeless and the addicted, as at any given time an addiction counselor, case worker, or crisis counselor, I've seen my share of people with mental disorders and MPD is more common than you might think. 

Typically, when one personality comes to the fore, the other(s) may either:

1) become dormant and unaware, as if they've gone to sleep -- what MPD sufferers refer to as a "black out."  Or...

2) When one personality comes to the fore the other(s) witness their actions from their particular points of view.  Identity is actually accurate in its discussion of the process of eradicating multiple personalities in order to distill them to the one true personality, though the movie itself showed us the process in slasher flick terms.

I will agree with you about the getting punched thing, though.  I've been knocked out cold and when I came to it wasn't as if waking from a gentle, restful sleep.  You're out a few seconds -- most of the time you actually have an entire dream during those few seconds -- then you wake up dazed and confused and, nine times out of ten, with a killer fuckin' headache.

La Horde was action packed , much like a video game and I gotta say that zombie with the bag on his head??  totally freaked me out.  I know they didnt have much of a plan or think too far ahead. but it's always refreshing for me to see a zombie flick where people were trying to get out rather than find a place to hole up

okay,  I liked High Tension , and I get the whole alternate personality storyline.. but I couldnt get over the decapitated 'head' scene being all in her mind. It was a pointless scene to me in hindsight. its like a pothole in a road..

I LOVED Identity and Fight Club..  and also a fan of the film Peacock. so I dont have a problem with split personality movies or twists, just don't try to fool us with unnecessary scenes.

I'll give you the decapitated head thing.  I like the flick a great deal but even I can't easily defend that bit.

The best I could do would be to say the sexual, violent imagery of it symbolized Marie's "trucker" personality coming to the fore, triggered by her guilt/lesbian desire/psychotic pathology as she pleasured herself in bed.  But I don't even slightly expect anybody to buy that. lol

deadhorse13 wrote:

brilliantly haunting film

deadhorse13 wrote:

Hello!! hands down my favourite film of all time.
back to the original question i would put them in this order
Martyrs
Inside
High Tension
Frontier(s)

High tension was so well paced i forgave the nonsensical ending, in fact first time i watched it i had no subtitles and i still loved it without understanding a word, its just that kind of film
I'd also like to add Trouble Every Day by Claire Denis to that list, anyone else a fan?

deadhorse13 wrote:

I'm in the High Tension ending hate club myself

HIGH FIVE! lol

Rave review after rave review after recommendation by the boat load, I watched it (a few years back) and man... easily in my top 5 most HATED movies of all time. There was nothing, and I mean NOTHING good about this at all. Acting... shit. Directing... shit. Story... not there. Oh well to be fair, the gore was good, but really that's ALL there was to this turd. I was in a rage for weeks after seeing it. Just pure 28 Days Later RAGE!

Of the "main" ones, I'll rate like this:

Haute Tension - 2/10
Frontiere(s) - 5/10
Martyrs - 2/10
Ils - 7.5/10
Inside - 3/10
La Horde - 7.5/10

And while not horror, it is French:

Irreversible - 1/10 - This is, in my books, THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE! I never thought anything would overtake Unbreakable, but this steaming pile of turd sure did... and howdy.

I don't know what it is with French horror, but damn near 90% of what I've seen, or more, is unwatchable tripe. They're got their gore down, but any half wit with some kayo syrup and red food coloring can do that too.

Zed_Chuva wrote:
deadhorse13 wrote:

HIGH FIVE! lol

Rave review after rave review after recommendation by the boat load, I watched it (a few years back) and man... easily in my top 5 most HATED movies of all time. There was nothing, and I mean NOTHING good about this at all. Acting... shit. Directing... shit. Story... not there. Oh well to be fair, the gore was good, but really that's ALL there was to this turd. I was in a rage for weeks after seeing it. Just pure 28 Days Later RAGE!

Haute Tension - 2/10
Frontiere(s) - 5/10
Martyrs - 2/10
Ils - 7.5/10
Inside - 3/10
La Horde - 7.5/10

Irreversible - 1/10 - This is, in my books, THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE! I never thought anything would overtake Unbreakable, but this steaming pile of turd sure did... and howdy.

I don't know what it is with French horror, but damn near 90% of what I've seen, or more, is unwatchable tripe. They're got their gore down, but any half wit with some kayo syrup and red food coloring can do that too.

Wow, I have never seen somebody with so much of an opposite taste in horror movies as me.

Of all of them, while I didnt dislike it, thought La Horde was the worst of them. I love Haute-Tension.

Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies... EVER.

I guess you are bizarro Ejaculine. That is nuts.

^No, I'd have to say that you are definitely not bizarro Ejaculine. wink

ejaculine wrote:
Zed_Chuva wrote:
deadhorse13 wrote:

HIGH FIVE! lol

Haute Tension - 2/10
Frontiere(s) - 5/10
Martyrs - 2/10
Ils - 7.5/10
Inside - 3/10
La Horde - 7.5/10

Wow, I have never seen somebody with so much of an opposite taste in horror movies as me.

Of all of them, while I didnt dislike it, thought La Horde was the worst of them. I love Haute-Tension.

Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies... EVER.

I guess you are bizarro Ejaculine. That is nuts.

haha same here, exact opposite, i thought  Ils was easily the worst of the bunch, shot well but just a pointless film, and I love Irreversible. Haven't seen La Horde yet.

Didn't read all the previous pages, sorry... I was disappointed by La Horde. Once again, the (french) director please himself and his beer buddies with private jokes and iconic scenes ("let's make the hero faces hundred of zombies in a garage" - yeah, that's a great scene, visual-wise and a terrible one, story-wise), without any clear direction to what his movie is about.
As a friend once told me, the problem in France is that it is so hard to make a horror movie, that the director pack the one movie he is currently making (and maybe the only one he will ever shoot) with every single ideas he had during the last 25 years. And the result is something like High Tension or La Horde.
On a side note, did any of you watch "Maléfique", from Eric Valette? The ending sucks (kinda) but I like the movie, for its smart uses of resources: 1 location, 4 actors, and a very decent low budget horror movie in the end smile

^I liked that Malefique was very different.  In many ways, it reminded me of the original Saw, with a single location and limited characters.  But overall, I thought that the movie was just okay, with the ending certainly doing nothing to improve upon that.  But it was still better than La Horde. 
Don't know if you watched it or not, but the special features on the La Horde disc had an interview with the director in which he talks about how excited they were to be doing a true French zombie movie, but when they had finished, they realized that the finished product was actually closer to an action comic.  Which I think describes it pretty well, what with all of the prolonged fight sequences.  And even though it is an infection as opposed to a zombie movie, I prefer Mutants over La Horde.

@Alien25: I agree, Maléfique is not a great movie, but it is an OK flick.  I didn't watch the special features of La Horde, because I just downloaded it. In the past, I usually bought videotapes/DVD first, but the more it goes and the less I do that. Now, I download first and if I like the movie, then I buy the DVD/Blu-Ray.
But yeah, "action comic" define quiet well this movie.
What is Mutants? An other French movie?

Zed_Chuva wrote:
deadhorse13 wrote:

HIGH FIVE! lol

Haute Tension - 2/10
Frontiere(s) - 5/10
Martyrs - 2/10
Ils - 7.5/10
Inside - 3/10
La Horde - 7.5/10

Irreversible - 1/10....

well aside from both of us disliking the ending to HT, I really can't agree with most of those assessments.

Haute Tension - 6/10
Frontiere(s) - 6/10
Martyrs - 9/10
Ils - 7/10
Inside - 9/10
La Horde - 6/10
and Irreversible - 9/10

I think the French new wave of horror is some of the most energetic and uncompromising stuff to come out of the genre in a long time.

Big fan of Trouble Every Day, too, to whoever mentioned that.

imacwesker wrote:

@Alien25: I agree, Maléfique is not a great movie, but it is an OK flick.  I didn't watch the special features of La Horde, because I just downloaded it. In the past, I usually bought videotapes/DVD first, but the more it goes and the less I do that. Now, I download first and if I like the movie, then I buy the DVD/Blu-Ray.
But yeah, "action comic" define quiet well this movie.
What is Mutants? An other French movie?

Yeah it is also French, and like La Horde, it came out in 2009.  Check it out, see if you like it better than La Horde.

@Alien25: Sorry for answering you so late, but I am really having problems watching Mutants. I watch 5 minutes then turn it off, days after days. Right now, I have seen the 35 first minutes and, well it is not *too* bad, it isn't very good either. I hope I can have the strength to watch the whole movie before the end of the year, lol
Speaking of French good/bad horror movies, have you seen Paris by Night of the Living Dead? Kinda hilarious in a cheesy way wink The dialogue at the very beginning is about "Love exist. God didn't abandon us. Will you take this man/woman for spouse? Will you help him/her to reach God, if he/she comes to wander with the dead?". Everything else is self-explanatory wink