Topic: Italian Horror

I love Italian horror, Giallo's etc.

What are some of your favorite films.
I love Argento but I really appreciate early Sergio Martino early films.

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key
Torso
Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh
All the Colors of the Dark
Case of the Scorpions Tail.

Re: Italian Horror

apart from Argento, Lucio Fulci is great.. so is Cannibal Holocaust.. Fellini's Satyricon is also pretty terrifying.

i need to watch some Sergio Martino.. i've heard good things bout Torso.

Don't forget Bava

Bava and Argento are great...Fulchi too...sadly this genre really doesnt exsist too much any more...it was more of an 80s thing which fits perfectly

I like all the trash zombie films like Zombie Creeping Flesh, Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 & 3 etc

I actually review these kinds of movies. Also, american slashers.

Argento, is probably my fav. Gotta give Bava a nod too.

I love Italian horror, food, and woman. That’s why I think Giada is great she’s hot, cook’s Italian food, just wish she would watch decapitated someone on her show.

also Cemetery Man!! Dellamorte Dellamore.. Last good horror to come out of Italy.. as far as i've seen

Last edited by Ms45 (2011-04-14 20:50:26)

Ms45 wrote:

Fellini's Satyricon is also pretty terrifying.

That's a great film but there's too much damn dialogue I feel like i'm reading a book rather than watching a film half the time.

Some spaghetti horror faves:

Tenebre
Opera
Fulci's Zombie
The Beyond
Soavi's Stage Fright
Shock
Suspiria
Demons
The Church

Plenty more which aren't coming to me at the moment.

At the risk of losing my genre card, I find pretty much all Italian horror grossly overrated.

Argento is probably the biggest thief of praise. I find his flicks, just a mess. Susperia is probably his most overrated flick. It gets all this praise, and I really don't see why. It's horribly acted, poorly shot, zero tension, and that red paint blood... guh! People try and defend it, but I just don't buy in... at all.

Of the big guys, I find I like Fulci the most, and even then, VERY hit and miss.

I refuse to like something/someone just because I'm "supposed to". It's like music. I've played guitar for 25+ years, and don't like... nay, HATE Jimmy Page and find Hendrix VERY overrated.

Most of my "idols" admire guys I don't like (music and film). Just because those who inspire you, are inspired by others, does not mean you have to love them too.

The red paint is half the appeal for me, his murder scenes are actually visually appealing to the eye like beautiful yet morbid paintings.

My favorite Italian horror director is Fulci so I like a lot of his films. The Beyond being my favorite followed by: Zombie 2, Cat in the Brain, New York Ripper, House by the Cemetery, City of the Living Dead and Don't Torture a Duckling. Besides Fulci's films..............

Suspiria
Opera
Deep Red
Phenomena
Tenebre
Torso
Bay of Blood
Cemetery Man
Stage Fright
Blood and Black Lace

I'm trying to make my mark as a video reviewer, primarily with the Giallo genre. I have a great line up of reviews and I can't wait to film them and share them with you all. In the meantime, look what just came in the mail! http://twitgoo.com/23mlnr

I really love Italian horror! Some of my favorite directors are Dario Argento, Mario Bava and Lucio Fulci  and Ruggero Dedato.

By the way, has anyone perhaps seen Luigi Cozzis movie - "Il Gatto Nero"(1991)? It has a varieties of titels "Demons 6", "El gato negro" The Black Cat" and "Demons 6: De Profundis".
-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096932/

I have heard that it has some sort of connection to Dario Argentos "Mother-trilogy", is this true?

Robbgl wrote:

I really love Italian horror! Some of my favorite directors are Dario Argento, Mario Bava and Lucio Fulci  and Ruggero Dedato.

By the way, has anyone perhaps seen Luigi Cozzis movie - "Il Gatto Nero"(1991)? It has a varieties of titels "Demons 6", "El gato negro" The Black Cat" and "Demons 6: De Profundis".

I have heard that it has some sort of connection to Dario Argentos "Mother-trilogy", is this true?

Haven't seen it yet, but I have not seen/read anything connecting it to The Three Mothers, officially.  I'll have to see it first to determine if he's trying to do the Italian thing of hopping on other directors' works.
(not that other countries' directors don't do the same thing)

Last edited by azathoth (2011-04-15 05:53:02)

Zed_Chuva wrote:

I refuse to like something/someone just because I'm "supposed to". It's like music. I've played guitar for 25+ years, and don't like... nay, HATE Jimmy Page and find Hendrix VERY overrated.

I've been playing for 20+years & I get what you are saying about the likes of Hendrix etc, i know there are technically better players but the reason everyone raves about him/them is that when those guys came out they were all individual & nobody was playing stuff like that, you would be hard pushed to find individuality like that these days.

^^^
I never played a guitar, but I like Eddie Van Halen's playing.  Don't know if it was original, but I liked it.  (Do I sound like an idiot?)

Italian Horror is my favorite as well.  Especially Argento, then  a close second is Fulci.  I 've been hooked since I watched Suspiria the first time.  My Favorites are...

Suspiria
Tenebre
Deep Red
The Beyond
City of the Living Dead
Stage Fright
The Church
Cemetery Man
Blood and Black Lace
Black Sunday
Don't Torture a Duckling
Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Psychic
Phenomena

Robbgl wrote:

It's an unofficial sequel to Suspiria (the third I think) and it's streaming on Netflix.

azathoth wrote:

^^^
I never played a guitar, but I like Eddie Van Halen's playing.  Don't know if it was original, but I liked it.  (Do I sound like an idiot?)

No, he was very original, also an awesome player.

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:
azathoth wrote:

^^^

No, he was very original, also an awesome player.

Ah, glad to know that he wasn't derivative and others like him.  smile
At least now I can say I like him without worrying about sounding like a tool.

(now I just sound like an appliance)